Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Frame head
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

I might just be going crazy but I can not locate for the life of me a 1968 frame head, frame head only I don't want a lower pan or Napoleon hat. Do they just not exist as an after market piece????
I can find through a 67 but that is it.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/volkswagen/vw-beetle-super-beetle/

https://www.evwparts.com/volkswagen/Bug68upRustRepair.html

Very Happy
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

You can get a complete frame head without the napoleon hat part then cut away what you don't need. Check this thread to see what he did.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600060

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:
You can get a complete frame head without the napoleon hat part then cut away what you don't need. Check this thread to see what he did.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600060

Mike T

I actually already have a frame head like the one in the pics that came with my pan(bought someone elses project) but as you can see in the pics the frame head is taller than the tunnel, where the oval opening is on the top of the head. (I believe this is due to the previous owner buying the wrong frame head. )Seeing as these two pieces are supposed to be welded in that spot figured I would buy the right year frame head and it should line up better.

or should I beat the one I have into submission to get it to line up with the tunnel. just worried if I do that it will make it impossible to get the front of the frame head perpendicular to the tunnel.

or should I weld a plate to the top of the tunnel to make up the difference.
any thoughts greatly appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by zgmg54321 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/volkswagen/vw-beetle-super-beetle/

https://www.evwparts.com/volkswagen/Bug68upRustRepair.html

Very Happy

I couldn't find the piece on either of those links I want this but in the correct year so it fits correctly.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

Take a look at these 2 pictures:

This looks a lot like yours. The fit is about the same. A gap there.

Now this picture the slot is trimmed out and by the look of the missing paint around the slot I would bet a measured amount of beating took place to get a good fit.

To be sure these frame heads are sold to fit a wide span of years. Typically 1966-1977 is a range you will find. Never saw a single year fitment. I think you are on the right track. just need to make it fit. Clamp it. Tap it, stand back and look. Use some bubble levels to zero in on the fit.

I recently did a bottom plate and that's how I approached it.

Thanks to gorbur for the use of his pictures.

Mike T

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

I saw a remedy where a strip was welded to the inside of the new bulk head that went past the edge , and another was welded to the frame tunnel to close the gap.

http://74beetle.blogspot.com/
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

Now this picture the slot is trimmed out and by the look of the missing paint around the slot I would bet a measured amount of beating took place to get a good fit.

To be sure these frame heads are sold to fit a wide span of years. Typically 1966-1977 is a range you will find. Never saw a single year fitment. I think you are on the right track. just need to make it fit. Clamp it. Tap it, stand back and look. Use some bubble levels to zero in on the fit.

I recently did a bottom plate and that's how I approached it.

Thanks to gorbur for the use of his pictures.

thanks for all the help what has me confused and thinking I had the wrong head was I can only find for sale individual heads that say they work for 52-67, and then full assembled heads that said like 66-77 I figured the reason the full head covered more years was because it had that small piece of tunnel already attached so when installing it you had to cutout the shorter part of the tunnel on the pan thus getting rid of the issue.

Mike T[/quote]
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

decided the worst that could happen is I would have to buy another head so today I went to town beating the head I have, with a hammer and I am pretty happy with the outcome looks like it will line up decently when I square it up.

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

I only have super beetle experience and have a few standard beetle questions.

Is that cut out just to weld the bulk head to the tunnel and what are those holes inside the cutout circumference for?
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

The holes are not supposed to be there that is from the previous owner using a dent puller where they shouldn't have the cut marks also shouldn't be there, i have to fill those back in with welds.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

So what about the oval hole? Confused
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

I am no expert but I believe it is there to add another welding point and improve the structural integrity.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

That's a pretty big gap to be massaging down with a hammer. Shocked

Has any one investigated if the frame head having the big gap there throws off the beams location?

I was thinking maybe cutting the bottom off and re-welding it back on to make it shorter would work or not.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

zgmg54321 wrote:
decided the worst that could happen is I would have to buy another head so today I went to town beating the head I have, with a hammer and I am pretty happy with the outcome looks like it will line up decently when I square it up.

You are on the right track here. You just need to open up the back of the oval hole so the sides can come in to the tunnel. The way this picture is.

The result is a very neat looking repair.

Mike T

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

From the pictures, it does not look like zgmg54321's bulk head has the same contours as yours. The repair is not going to be visible but I would be concerned if the tubes are going to be located where they should be.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

The OP won't mis locate the height of the beam because the frame head bottom plate has a profile that accepts the cupped stamping of the lower beam tube pocket and positively locates it. I don't know why there is a gap at the top of the replacement frame head beyond it just being a bad fitting part. You see the same bad fit in other frame head threads too.

Mike T

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

On your own car ,the tunnel contour reaches over the the top of the bulk head. You can see where you welded it in the cutout area that the bulk head is curved up to match the tunnel. The O.P's bulk head has to be pushed down to mate with the tunnel. It looks like the O.P's bulk head mates decent with the end of the bulk head but there was actually a space at the top.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

Those pictures are not mine. They are from a thread that I found while researching for my frame head bottom plate installation. I remembered that thread when I saw zgmg54321's thread and his situation. My opinion is if zgmg54321 trims his replacement frame head the same as user name of gorbur trimmed his, then the fit would be the same. he could start welding. I think this because I have had my hands on the parts in question and believe it will work.

zgmg54321, sorry for the confusing back and forth. Just trying to help.

Mike T

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Frame head Reply with quote

The O.P's bulk head is too deep and the bulk head from the borrowed images is not deep enough, that is unless my depth perception is deceiving me. It looks like the reason they cut the top off is to get the bulk head to mate with the sides of the tunnel because the top ( that was removed) was stopping it from going down enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: