Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question for those with Centermount Manifolds
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Question for those with Centermount Manifolds Reply with quote

Bought the good Bugpack center mount manifold for my off-road dual port. Uses stock end castings (although I have aftermarket cheapos(I accidently gave away my extra pair of good stock ones)) and I have the proper Bugpack manifold to stock end casting boots. Issue is as follows: On the left side, the manifold and end casting butts up perfectly. On the right side, there is about a 3/8" - 1/2" gap between the manifold tube and the endcasting. Now, there's enough boot to close the gap, but I'm concerned as the motor warms (and spreads) and bounces around the gap will grow. I'm guessing I'll likely have an air leak - a big air leak. In fact, I can't imagine the connection not failing. I've never messed with one of these before, so wondering if I'm supposed to twist out the manifold tube to fit the gap or what (seems like a bad idea as I suspect the tubes are interferance fit into the cast alumn center and pulling the tube out will leave also a groove inside between the tube and the center casting that with further hurt the flow). Unlike a stock manifold where the tubes enter the endcastings, this bigger manifold butts up to the stock end castings, but does not enter into the endcastings (the urethane boots make the works fit). Any help would be appreciated. I suspect the cheapo right endcasting is just shorter than a stock one, but, now, I've nothing with which to compare it. Thanks. And Bajaherbie, thank you for your support!

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....I have a good set of stock end castings. PM me your mailing address and they are yours if you want them...I'll never need them for anything.

Play an accordion...go to jail.
Skidmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center the manifold in between the end castings to DeMinimize the gap... Laughing That is what I did on my 1776, and have never had a leak. Just make sure the center section is well supported somehow from vibration. I fabricated a bracket that bolted to one of the fuel pump bolts and then up to the carb mount. It works really well.

WARNING! This person has been consumed by the Dark Side.

www.socalbajas.com

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/bajaskidmark/SCBaja.jpg
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Scott, PM'd you. Thanks. Skiddy, the manifold has a support flange casted into the center section that bolts to the stock manifold support stud. The manifold flange on this support does not allow me to move the manifold further to the right as the stud flange on the engine block prevents this. I could grind the manifold flange a bit thinner to allow it to move a bit further right, but not much. I'll use Scott's end castings and hopefully that will get me closer.
Thanks again.

Manifold looks similar to this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.

Last edited by DeMinimis on Mon May 29, 2006 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
EZGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just mount that baby. It won't grow enough to matter and there should be enouph give in your seals to allow for it.

I have used hard rubber like radiator hose without problems.

Really Wink
Skidmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a cross over hole where the runners join, you would be better off getting a manifold that has individual, seperated runners.
The carb will perform better... And bracing the carb/manifold at the carburetor base is better for off road use. IMHO... Smile

WARNING! This person has been consumed by the Dark Side.

www.socalbajas.com

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/bajaskidmark/SCBaja.jpg
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to run what I brung (or in this case, bought). However, can't wait to get the new (to me) Dell on my rail. Wife, with all her passive agressive tendencies, "forgot" to tell me about the two Fedex attempts at delivering the carb last week. Hope its not on its way back to Italia. Mad

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same manifold with a 44IDF and used the large red urethane ones and they work fine. Got them from MooreParts. I did go with a wider hose clamp than what was shipped just to be sure. Keep the heat risers and you will really like the performance.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at the parts store to pick up four stainless "T" clamps. Strong enough to hold my thoughts together. However, at nearly $5 each, I thought differently. Went with the bigger hose clamps instead (under $2 for all four). I figure they will work well. If not, I know where to get the better ones.

I run a tri-mil exhaust on both motors, so no option for heat risers. Thought about trying to weld the riser attachments on the Tri-Mills, but I only run this rail in warm weather.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tri-Mill but went with a quiet-pack and it was much easier to jet it into a nice running motor. I drive mine on the street sometimes and it sucked big time in the morning. Nothing like a serious stumble to get your attention when running on SoCal freeways. I would be willing to trade someone my nice clean ceramic coated tri-mill with canister muffler for a good SVDA/Compufire distributor!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
USMCord1
Razorback

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about I trade you some red tape for your blue-dots? Deal?
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertBob wrote:
I had a Tri-Mill but went with a quiet-pack and it was much easier to jet it into a nice running motor. I drive mine on the street sometimes and it sucked big time in the morning. Nothing like a serious stumble to get your attention when running on SoCal freeways. I would be willing to trade someone my nice clean ceramic coated tri-mill with canister muffler for a good SVDA/Compufire distributor!

How about a 009 and a hardy handshake? With day care costs, that's about all I have left. Well, got the kids, but they have a negative value on the blackmarket.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry got one of those. At least mine has a CompuFire. Laughing

DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy selling a Mallory in classifieds, if you are looking.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mallory is very nice but it is out of my range right now. With 2 teenage girls at home I can barely keep gas in my baja. Shocked

DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berzerker, the end castings arrived yesterday afternoon. Damn, better than new. Thank you again.

Bob, with two teenage girls in the house, I suspect you spend most of your time out in your Baja. However, I understand teenagers eventually become adults. God's speed, Bob.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
Berzerker, the end castings arrived yesterday afternoon. Damn, better than new. Thank you again.

Bob, with two teenage girls in the house, I suspect you spend most of your time out in your Baja. However, I understand teenagers eventually become adults. God's speed, Bob.

Yeah...I bead blasted them for ya. No point in instaling ugly shit with new parts.
You think they will work out like you wanted?

Play an accordion...go to jail.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a little break from re-grouting the pool and installed them. Looking good. Thanks. Just waiting for a few odds and ends from CB to finish up the carb install. Had to use the carb linkage set up that came with the manifold to get it to work right (mocked it up anyway). Was hoping to avoid that, but seems that's the only way to make it work (unless I tried a Morse type cable looped out in front of the gas pedal so the throttle pushes the cable instead of pulls it-not even sure that would work well). Hoping its all worth it (going single vs. using the dual Dell setup I already had). I think avoiding trying to sync carbs in Baja will make it all worth it in the end. I promised pics, didn't I. Prehaps when my fingers tire of being burned from the caustic grout tomorrow (only about 700 sq ft to go)and I need a break, I'll finally get around to taking some shots (purple Beards and all).

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell your better half to finish the grout work and that you've got something "more important to do"....
Laughing
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiencing a tropical down pour today (less the warm temps). Grout and rail pics will have to wait. May as well get back to the wall plaster and texturing for paint inside the house.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: