Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Axle Trans Failed Already Need Recommendations
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Swing Axle Trans Failed Already Need Recommendations Reply with quote

Well I put in a rebuilt transmission 5 months ago and it has already given up. I am trying to get some kind of credit since it did have a 6 month warranty. But rather than just get a replacement type 1 I want to build one that will last this time. It needs to be swing axle. What would be good setup for a Baja that will see both street and mild offroad? I am running 30x9.5 rear tires. Would like to be able to use 1st through 3rd off road but don't want it geared so low that I can't drive it on the freeway or too big of a leap when going from 3rd to 4th. Any suggestions? What other things should I request as I am noob when it comes to transmissions.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
UncleDirty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to Joe Giffen. http://www.jgtranswerks.com/
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must really beat the crap out of that thing man, i have a IRS thats really old and ive tore it up off road and learned how to drive stick in it. and its still OK
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaherbie the all-knowing forsees an irs bus box in your future.....
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runslikeapenguin wrote:
you must really beat the crap out of that thing man, i have a IRS thats really old and ive tore it up off road and learned how to drive stick in it. and its still OK

No. I drove it pretty gently. I just think that is was poorly built from the begininning. Right after it was put in I went to the shop I got it from and complained that it shiffed too hard and they just said drive it for another 500 miles and see if it loosens up. Well it never made it to the 500 miles but it sure is loose. All those chunks of metal in the oil must have loosened up things considerabily.

I drove the original 40 year old trans much harder and it was working fine until it exploded on the freeway when it slipped into gear when towing it to the painter. Well that adventure was another thread.

Uncle Dirty - Thanks for the tip. I will give them a call today. Do I get a discount if I wear a Checkers t-shirt? Laughing

Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaherbie wrote:
bajaherbie the all-knowing forsees an irs bus box in your future.....

Sorry no IRS for me. I have been pricing it out and the swing axle will stay. Maybe I will sell this Baja and look for a class 5 body and pan and build a new baja. The next one will have full cage and bus tranny. Still considering building a class 11 though.

Skidmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of response did you get from Stuff Transaxle? The 091 bus box that came with my project car is from them, and supposedly a fresh rebuild. Your news does not make me feel very confident about the condition of mine... Let us know how they handle the situation.

WARNING! This person has been consumed by the Dark Side.

www.socalbajas.com

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/bajaskidmark/SCBaja.jpg
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Chip at Unique Imports (Mission Viejo) where I purchased the trans and he said that he would work with Stuff to make things right. I trust Chip as he hasn't let me down so far. Pulled the engine and trans last night and will drop it off at his shop tonight if my schedule permits.

clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob ... I've run a couple of Stuff swings (back when they were in Oceanside) and had no problems (street use only). When it comes to performance or off-road though ... I'm sold on Kevin Richards.

http://www.kcrtrans.com/

Maybe Chip can establish a connection with Kevin after you get your present situation resolved.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Stuff says, without even looking at it, that I broke the transmission and will not honor their warranty. Even though it had less than 500 miles on it and it was driven reasonably. They did offer to take a look at it for a minimum of $150 bucks and replace the broken parts at retail. What a deal???? Some companies stand by their products and service..others don't. Rolling Eyes

Needless to say Chip at Unique Imports was visibly pissed and gave them a huge piece of his mind. He has known me for over 2 years and knows how anal I am and how I take care of my Baja. He thinks that a tired component was put in the rebuilt trans and it just failed - shit happens but he (and I) expect his parts suppliers to stand behind their products. What he did was sell me a rebuilt RANCHO transmission at his cost and he is going to work with Stuff on getting the transmission fixed. When it is all over he will refund me all or most of what I paid for the RANCHO. At least I will be on the road again. Smile

BTW: He threw in boots, throw out bearing (German) and axle seals for free. Chip knows how to keep his customers and I would expect this to be resolved soon. In the end Stuff has lost a customer and potentially a dealer.

clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's whack (Stuff's position) ... sounds like you've got a keeper with Chip ... great customer focus.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip is a good guy. While not the cheapest around I support those who support our hobby.

The trans is in the baja and the engine will go back in on Saturday if it doesn't rain. Will be on the desert trails again next weekend.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Bob,

I got a swingaxle box from Dan Emery at Dansperformanceparts.com. I'm still putting my buggy together and haven't yet tried it out, but it has all the right parts, and Dan was able to help customize the gearing and build for my particular needs. I felt he was reasonably priced as well. He lives in your general vicinity. Dan is running a thread on the Mid-Travel Manx on this forum, so you can reach him thru thesamba. Might be a good and convenient resource for you.
dansparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Bob; Did you ever get your transaxle deal worked out? The word I heard about Stuff Transaxle is that Mike the owner had pass away. That's maybe why you where having problems with your deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a trans from Kcr, total custom built. it lasted 300 miles . well that was due to me. but the seller (mooreparts said it would be strong enough for a 2275) wrong!!! Kevin rebuilt it for me and charged me for parts on the upgrade. good deal. It has broke again 600 miles on it .I know i did not bust it this time . kevin said bring it in. if it is his fault . no problem , if not , well we know i will pay. It is not a big problem , but Kevin would get my business everytime just due to him standing behind a product. no one is perfect.

A better place to talk offroad
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are throwing out people who we have had good luck with....I have had Mark's sand trans http://www.markssandtrans.com
build me a couple of transaxles over the years....he is kind of on the spendy side, but I can tell you this....I have never had to test out his customer service...because neither of them ever had a problem. This is in a rail with quite a bit of power. Anyway.... good builder.

Play an accordion...go to jail.
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my Rancho replacement is working flawlessly. No luck on the Stuff tranaxle. Hopefully if they can get the company back up on its feet they will make things right.

Skidmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I just had my "freshly rebuilt" Stuff trans gone through for some upgrade/changes. Went with Mohr Performance in Hesperia. Joel mentioned all the parts inside were in very good shape, all new synchros, etc. I sure hope I dont have any issues with it. I had a Superdiff put in, and changed out the third and fourth gears.

Did you ever find out exactly what failed in the trans? Just out of curiosity...

WARNING! This person has been consumed by the Dark Side.

www.socalbajas.com

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/bajaskidmark/SCBaja.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: