Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

johns68doublecab wrote:
Well, it's time to close this one out. I went to Walmart with both front tires. The passenger tire looked okay, but the driver-side tire had a funny twist to it.

This is the tire when they removed it from the wheel. They said that they'd never seen anything like it. I have to agree.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Again, thanks for the help.

John

johns68doublecab wrote:
... I've only driven 500 miles since it's been back on the road after several years. ...

What would cause a tire to assume that shape? Pinched from being uninflated with the wheel down to the ground? Did the steel take a warped set?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

That tire is toast, could be any number of things caused it. Used on a rope swing, used as shock absorber on a tow rope, supported an engine while in the back of pickup….. I wouldn't use it on the road no way, no how!

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

What would cause a tire to assume that shape? Pinched from being uninflated with the wheel down to the ground? Did the steel take a warped set?

Aloha
tp

Tread separation and/or belt shift. I would bet that a side shot of the tire will show it seriously out of round radially.

Glad this was found and fixed. Throw that tire in the scrap pile, or better yet, hang it on the wall as a reminder of what can happen. I am curious of brand, build date, ply count, etc. too.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I decided to order my tires, hankook RA08, because I'm going camping in early April and this will be my longest trip with the bus so I wanted to minimize any issues.

I ordered through Amazon via bestwheelsonline who are based in CA and because amazon gave me an instant $80 gift card making the 5 tires less than $500 shipped. I wanted the RA18's but they weren't available anywhere. I figured I'd get a call from the seller to opt for the newer tired instead of the RA08's and sure enough I did.
I ordered late Monday and they arrived today:D

I plan on getting them installed at Costco. They use a lift (looks like an X) and they hand torque the lug nuts. Any suggestions or anything I need to let them know about mounting my tires?
wet_bread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Any suggestions or anything I need to let them know about mounting my tires?

Get them balanced.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I decided to order my tires, hankook RA08, because I'm going camping in early April and this will be my longest trip with the bus so I wanted to minimize any issues.

I ordered through Amazon via bestwheelsonline who are based in CA and because amazon gave me an instant $80 gift card making the 5 tires less than $500 shipped. I wanted the RA18's but they weren't available anywhere. I figured I'd get a call from the seller to opt for the newer tired instead of the RA08's and sure enough I did.
I ordered late Monday and they arrived today:D

I plan on getting them installed at Costco. They use a lift (looks like an X) and they hand torque the lug nuts. Any suggestions or anything I need to let them know about mounting my tires?

That's a sweet deal! Now you can post a ride report for us. To tell you the truth, any feedback I could've given would be somewhat meaningless since I've only put about 20 miles on my Westy, and that was on 23 year old tires, so I have nothing to compare with.

Just make sure your tires don't have a yellow dot on the lower sidewalls (my new RA18's do not). If they do, make sure the tech lines yellow dots up with the valve stems (but again, I doubt they have them).

But do this: insist that the tech put the DOT date code on the outsides...Insist, because the date code is only on ONE side of each tire, and whether for you or someone else, you don't want to have to crawl under the car to see them if you don't have to. Wink
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Thanks! The tires had two date codes, some were made in late September 2015 and others in early October 2015. I don't recall seeing any yellow dots though.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

What does the yellow dot signify?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

It's the lightest point on the tire, so to put it adjacent the heaviest part of the wheel is supposed to counter the weight (to a degree, I suppose) and give you a balancing advantage, such as maybe fewer or no weights at all. Just cuz these HKs don't have 'em doesn't mean they're perfect tires, its just not mandatory to identify the light spot. I think a red dot identifies a high spot on a non-concentric tire, or runout. Any other colors are just random.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
It's the lightest point on the tire, so to put it adjacent the heaviest part of the wheel is supposed to counter the weight (to a degree, I suppose) and give you a balancing advantage, such as maybe fewer or no weights at all. Just cuz these HKs don't have 'em doesn't mean they're perfect tires, its just not mandatory to identify the light spot. I think a red dot identifies a high spot on a non-concentric tire, or runout. Any other colors are just random.

Thanks.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

I got my tires mounted today at Costco for $70 for all five. They almost couldn't do it because their books didn't go back far enough but luckily, thanks to samba, I was able to give them the torque specs (they needed to see it in the manual) and the psi recommendations.

Handling has improved greatly! With my new koni shocks I'd say the tires have improved handling with a 60/40 ratio, meaning the tires can be accounted for 60% of the improved ride handling while the shocks made up the rest of the improvement. The bus feels much more secure when doing sharp turns.

One thing costco did note was that my rims were a little rusted. I plan to get them powder coated by Schwab, who will blast them. Is that good enough to take care of the rust or do I need to do some other prep as well?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

You'll be in great shape if you powder coat the rims, they'll do a full sandblast prior to spraying them...ask to confirm they do the inner rim too (under the tire) too, I'm sure they do. Just do a search around here for that other thread, there's a back-and-forth about cleaning the coating from the lug seats so your lug nuts don't come loose Wink
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of the hankook RA18 tires I got.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Ron, do you all have the RA18’s in yet?? I’d like to continue to be the Arkansas buyer of Bus Depot! Laughing
IF not, are the manufacturer’s date fairly recent on the RA08’s y’all have left? It’s basically April now, I mean, c’mon..... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

The R08's are now gone. I have exactly ONE left, a 185R14. If you have a set of RA08''s and want a matching spare, this is your last chance to grab one. I'll knock it down to $93 plus shipping. PM me if you want it. I'll post here when it's spoken for.

Still waiting for an updated ETA on the RA18's, will keep you posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

If your in Austin (or anywhere close) this seems like a great deal:

http://austin.craigslist.org/wtd/5418546264.html
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Actually it's an exceptional deal. Someone near Austin should grab 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Dang, that is good and less than 15 minutes from where I work!
I don't need tires, but if I did I'd be all over that!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace.perkes97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Will a P225/70R14 fit on my stock vw bus rim lowered 2"?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Hercules Ironman HSI-S 185R-14C tires?? Weight is just over 1800lbs a tire. 8 ply. I know Hercules is a similar tire to Cooper, and I am a big fan of Cooper tires. I am curious about drivability and handling, they happen to be extremely cheap compared to the BFG's and even cheaper than the RA18's by Hankook that are now out.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 159 of 198

Jump to: