Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

mcrum4421 wrote:
Thank you for you’re input. I think it’s best I replace the 15s with the 14s I have in the attic.

The 14's are wider, too.
Proper tires are 185R-14c 6pr
That spec will get a tire that has a truck type carcass rated to be inflated to about 60PSI. You will need to put about 44 psi in the rears and less in the front and it will be very much more stable than with passenger car tires.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
mcrum4421 wrote:
Thank you for you’re input. I think it’s best I replace the 15s with the 14s I have in the attic.

The 14's are wider, too.
Proper tires are 185R-14c 6pr
That spec will get a tire that has a truck type carcass rated to be inflated to about 60PSI. You will need to put about 44 psi in the rears and less in the front and it will be very much more stable than with passenger car tires.

Those chromies are probably 5.5 or 6" wide. But, the 14" wheel/tire combo will likely be the best option, and will look the part, too.

Air pressure will depend on which tire is used. I found 44 PSI to be a little much in the rear with the old 27" BFG's. But that is about right with my 27" Starfire SF 510's on my single cab when loaded. 38-40 PSI up front seems about right.
kombikook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone here know of a good place to buy tire covers for 185 R14's? I have a spare tire mount/spare on the front of my bus. I was looking for a cover similar to the pastel weiss on my bus that fits well. I was eyeing the West Coast Metric cover here:

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22966604-211-605v-wh.html

However $95 seems pretty steep for a tire cover and they weren't able to send me pictures of it on an actual tire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

If a non VW specific cover is okay, visit your local RV Dealer/Center or even Walmart has a selection of UV resistant and waterproof options for 1/3rd that price. Trailer tire sizes are pretty close to the 185/R14 standard size.

Here is a supplier making covers specifically for VWs on the Samba Classified. $85 though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2560213
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

kombikook wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone here know of a good place to buy tire covers for 185 R14's? I have a spare tire mount/spare on the front of my bus. I was looking for a cover similar to the pastel weiss on my bus that fits well. ..

These guys here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=468786&highlight=jonce
would be my go to people for anything sewn of canvass and destined for a VW
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombikook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
If a non VW specific cover is okay, visit your local RV Dealer/Center or even Walmart has a selection of UV resistant and waterproof options for 1/3rd that price. Trailer tire sizes are pretty close to the 185/R14 standard size.

Here is a supplier making covers specifically for VWs on the Samba Classified. $85 though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2560213

Alan Brase wrote:
kombikook wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone here know of a good place to buy tire covers for 185 R14's? I have a spare tire mount/spare on the front of my bus. I was looking for a cover similar to the pastel weiss on my bus that fits well. ..

These guys here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=468786&highlight=jonce
would be my go to people for anything sewn of canvass and destined for a VW

Thank you both! These are great ideas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198
Jump to:
Page 198 of 198

Jump to: