Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update -

Discovered that it wasn't starting because the fuel pump was bad and there was no spark...we discovered this by...and you're gonna love this...Running the starter on the 6 volt system and running the engine on a 12 volt system (IE: 12 volt coil and Distributor/battery)...Right now it does run on the 6 volt system with the 12 volt coil and Distributor but...boy does it run like crap - just not enough spark...so...I have just ordered all the components for a 12 volt conversion and then we'll see what sort of shape the engine/tranny really is in.

I did drive it around the block backfiring all the way...lol. and I did get to test reverse, 1st and second gears - they all seem fine...so far - time and effort will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy friends stopped by last weekend to help with the 6 volt to 12 volt conversion - hopefully...this weekend I MAY be able to turn the key and see what happens...:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Update...

12 volt conversion is done and it ran great ...a few days ago...however...after...maybe ....40 minutes of run time and a few laps around the block it died - something in the carb took a dump....AAAARRRGGGHHH!

Bill to the rescue with an extra carb to try to get it running again while I search for a Bug Spray rebuild kit. Weather permitting I hope to have it running by Saturday Morning (11/Cool ...if not sooner.

Also have a plan to allow the doors to lock and stay closed while driving - plan to work on that this coming weekend as well...little by little it'll come together.
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working with a friend (and member of this board) we were able to re-create the original Shalako logo and crest - check 'em out:

PS - Extra carberator worked and the Shalako is back on the road and a rebuild kit is in the mail...Smile
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Short vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tDTjXFzHo
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the striping done. My goal was to reproduce the striping done on the original show car...with different colors, of course. The wide middle stripe is metal flake black and the outside stripes are carbon fiber..AFTER I took these shots I put on the repro'd Shalako emblems on the rear sail panels - also done in a metal flake vinyl:

FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good Steve
donmac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I don't like "kit cars" other than the Manx type but in your case I'll make an exception. That is a REALLY COOL car. I think it's great that you a bringing a piece of history back to life and taking care to make it original.

67 Dune Buggy aka Shrek
74 Baja Junk Pile aka Wild Thing
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good words.

I think that with this rare buggy and my Sterling ......
( http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerfjzz/ ) I have two real eye catching kits that most people don't realize are kit cars...not to mention two totally original looking vehicles that are sure to stand out at any car event I bring them to.

Now that most of the exterior things are where I want them and it runs so good - I am just going to take some time enjoying driving it (As long as there's no ice on the road, that is).

More plans are in the works for the Shalako including reproducing the original bumpers and some interior work...stay tuned.....
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo shop image on some black-out I was thinging of doing and what it currently looks like - thoughts?

Current lay-out:

Proposed lay-out:

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdkw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shalko Reply with quote

dennis5 wrote:
We have a NOS Shalko kit complete in silver metalflake, its going to be this winters project, custom tube frame already built. Powerplant is going to be Sabaru, will post pictures when its started. Very Happy

Well, it's winter!
dennis5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: winter Reply with quote

Yea I know but am still trying to finish up my Towd then I will get started on the Shalako Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a thread with shots of your Towd in-progress?
dennis5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Towd Pixs Reply with quote

Some are posted on the RBC site under the Towd section mainly of the frame work. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigtonkakid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT THE????

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Steve loose on the LIE!
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what it looks like on the road. Actually that looks like Veterans Highway...probably on my way to VW Bill's place
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in another thread - I've been experimenting with fiberglass so as to re-enforce the flimsy Shalako doors. I used PVC piping - slit in half to give me the shape I wanted and fiberglassed the whole "kit and kaboodle" in:

Now I am expoxying in some mat, adding weather stripping and framing- out the large window to finish off the job:

It's my first time Fiberglassing and doing any sort of interior finish work - (I have laid carpet and re-done dash board facias...but that's about it) it seems pretty neat for a beginner and I am pleased with the results so far...not quite show quality but neither is the rest of the buggy..Wink
ellobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one on another site. I don't know any information about it. Other than It's Cool... Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: