Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clamping central idling lines?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
made_in_nz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: clamping central idling lines? Reply with quote

I've just ordered some fuel and vacuum lines for my '73 bus, and have yet another question based on a pic of how it is now. The question is, should the hoses joining the metal pipes of the central idling line (circled red) be clamped? As you see in the pic my current old lines are not.
The other question is will 7mm hose do the job for these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks,
Nick
JSO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: clamps Reply with quote

Barrel or hose clamps work just fine.
2006 New Beetle Coupe
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory counted on the fit of the metric hoses to seal. That is why there are no clamps. Adding clamps will not be a problem. Glad you are staying with the OE setup. Cool
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
The factory counted on the fit of the metric hoses to seal. That is why there are no clamps. Adding clamps will not be a problem. Glad you are staying with the OE setup. Cool

I think the above is wrong.
Adding clamps is looking for trouble: Because of vibrations, clamps could eat into the hose. Here, shrink tubing would be more appropriate.
There is no need for clamps, because these hoses carry vaccum, while the engine is running. There is no need for a tight fitting, because vaccum sucks them to stay on.

Stay 100% original; No clamp Cool
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinfalls wrote:

Stay 100% original; No clamp Cool

What he says. C'est que c'est.
Colin
made_in_nz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here, shrink tubing would be more appropriate.

damn it! why do i always get it wrong (at least the first time). I ordered 5mm and 7mm fuel hose, and some vacuum hose for the brake booster line to the brake servo (this is 12mm hose). I was thinking one of those would do the trick for the circled parts above.

But no, a closer look on Bus Boys site does tell me that its 9mm and 11mm vacuum hose thats required Mad

I *really* don't like ordering $3 of stuff and paying $20 to ship it (need it this weekend).

Thanks guys.
made_in_nz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least something positive today though - my Muir manual arrived.. time to settle in with a beer for some interesting reading. now with this, bentley, and haynes, i should have a good supply of information for my road trip.

Nick
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made_in_nz wrote:
Quote:
Here, shrink tubing would be more appropriate.

damn it! why do i always get it wrong (at least the first time). I ordered 5mm and 7mm fuel hose, and some vacuum hose for the brake booster line to the brake servo (this is 12mm hose). I was thinking one of those would do the trick for the circled parts above.

But no, a closer look on Bus Boys site does tell me that its 9mm and 11mm vacuum hose thats required Mad

I *really* don't like ordering $3 of stuff and paying $20 to ship it (need it this weekend).

Thanks guys.

To avoid a possible misunderstanding:
I talked about shrink tubing over hoses; Short shrink tubes, like clamps, over the ends of a hose.
I did NOT talk about a shrink tube to REPLACE a hose
made_in_nz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I was just going to go with the stock 9 and 11mm tube from Bus Boys. I don't see any signs on shrink tubing on my existing connections (though I'm sure it would make it an even better fit).

Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: