Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2705, 2706, 2707, 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Looked way better before, even with the piece of tin covering the sunroof.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Not necessarily a whine but I count find a location for this question. Is this newly listed 56 Kombi red and the photo shows orange? On my computer it is very orange.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/52_55_color_book.php

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2658260

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Seen it before and was asking the same question. Sealing wax red can fade to very different hues of pinkish or even orange oxide. obviously depends a lot on the light while taking the photograph.
Considering the bright red paint on the fresh air box, maybe the bus is even a very faded fire engine red ?
Interior roof and air box seems to be repaint over dove blue, maybe ?

Whatever color it is, it sure is a sweet and interesting project bus ! great model and year (bubbles and reflectors and brake light lid).
all SWR would be a killer combo !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Seen it before and was asking the same question. Sealing wax red can fade to very different hues of pinkish or even orange oxide. obviously depends a lot on the light while taking the photograph.
Considering the bright red paint on the fresh air box, maybe the bus is even a very faded fire engine red ?

Whatever color it is, it sure is a sweet and interesting project bus ! great model and year (bubbles and reflectors and brake light lid).
it looks like a Fire truck red Kombi to me!I remember this bus from a long time ago if its the same one,,sat in Berkeley forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

it looks like a Fire truck red Kombi to me!I remember this bus from a long time ago if its the same one,,sat in Berkeley forever.

If I remember correctly, the one at Buslab was a standard. I don't think that is the same bus.

It does look firetruck red. Special paint firetruck red buses are mostly seen before mid '58 when sealingwax red became a standard color for commercials. Of course actual firetrucks used firetruck red throughout production.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
andre b wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

If I remember correctly, the one at Buslab was a standard. I don't think that is the same bus.

It does look firetruck red. Special paint firetruck red buses are mostly seen before mid '58 when sealingwax red became a standard color for commercials. Of course actual firetrucks used firetruck red throughout production.
thats right it was a standard, this one looks like it had interior panels in it at one tme.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

It definitely looks more red inside, especially that roof overspray, but the outside looks like faded SWR to me

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
Lind wrote:
andre b wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

thats right it was a standard, this one looks like it had interior panels in it at one tme.
This one is a kombi, as it has slide in roof panels, not a headliner.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I don't understand, it clearly started life as a dove blue kombi. There is blue paint showing in several pics and the entire interior has obviously been painted. Maybe the repaint looks fire engine red-ish.....
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

not so sure about that. steering column is dove blue, but that is a part that never originally was dove blue. My best guess is this was a factory red bus ( see engine compartment) that was repainted doveblue somewhere in its life, and to me it seems as if layer(s) of the paint have been stripped and peeled. it obviously had bodywork done and parts replaced (hatch) so all we have are assumptions. It may as well have had an accident and/or full repaint early on in its life.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
not so sure about that. steering column is dove blue, but that is a part that never originally was dove blue. My best guess is this was a factory red bus ( see engine compartment) that was repainted doveblue somewhere in its life, and to me it seems as if layer(s) of the paint have been stripped and peeled. it obviously had bodywork done and parts replaced (hatch) so all we have are assumptions. It may as well have had an accident and/or full repaint early on in its life.

Agreed.

If it was a factory dove blue bus, I would be very impressed with the attention to detail in the repaint, especially with the engine compartment. From the pictures, I am pretty confident that the bus did not leave the factory dove blue. Colors show up with very different shades depending on the ambient light and the type of camera used to take the photo. In my experience, the only sealingwax red of that era was on deluxes, and I have seen plenty of commercials of that era in firetruck red.

I have seen some big shenanigans with buses before, entire roofs being replaced, complete cab sections being replaced, etc. When you inspect a bus in person, you can find some crazy stuff that doesn't easily show up in photos.

chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Lind wrote:
a smith wrote:
AC Mack wrote:
henry

not a whine per say, but I still don't think this thing is worth 90k.

"von_hansel" Looks like appreciation has occurred in the value over the last year.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2654017

Too bad this Bus wasn't painted it's original colors. Looks like he's after the Brazilian look. All its missing is the idiot light on the roof.
Concerning asking price. LOL

I think the "seller" just enjoys putting it up "for sale" and has no intentions of actually selling the bus at any price.

Multiple people tried to buy it from him back before he ass-raped it, so maybe he is just trying to relive the good old days when people actually wanted the bus that he owns....

Was this the bus originally out of socal?

I remember it from the 90"s a guy named Mario in Exeter ca owned it. He used to drive it everywhere, He sold it to Noe at some point and it sat forever. That's when I took that picture of it sitting with the board on the roof. I never knew it to have the OG 34 interior. I tried several times to buy it from Noe but as you can tell his expectations are unrealistic
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

What is that round thing coming out of the lower rear of the passengers side?

Lind wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

Agreed.

If it was a factory dove blue bus, I would be very impressed with the attention to detail in the repaint, especially with the engine compartment. From the pictures, I am pretty confident that the bus did not leave the factory dove blue. Colors show up with very different shades depending on the ambient light and the type of camera used to take the photo. In my experience, the only sealingwax red of that era was on deluxes, and I have seen plenty of commercials of that era in firetruck red.

I have seen some big shenanigans with buses before, entire roofs being replaced, complete cab sections being replaced, etc. When you inspect a bus in person, you can find some crazy stuff that doesn't easily show up in photos.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

probably a battery main switch.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Just saw this single cab come up on CL:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/fairfax-1959-volkswagen-bus-van-split/7702586369.html

Looks pretty good for an OG bus.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I_Dont_Mind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/fairfax-1959-volkswagen-bus-van-split/7702586369.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2659790

Lets list on the Samba for 33k Laughing
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I_Dont_Mind wrote:
bobrk wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2659790

Lets list on the Samba for 33k Laughing

I cant understand how single cabs that were 18k 4 years ago are suddenly worth double. Panels and singles have always been an entry level split. you can still get a decent running driving panel for 20k but the same thing in a single is all of the sudden 32k. I dont see many of them selling either
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

20K NO INTERIOR flipseat Westy described as "solid" in the ad. There is a huge rust hole in the roof; also roof has been crushed by a tree or something.

NO motor, NO title, not even the front flipseat. Probably cost 50K alone in parts, IF you are lucky enough to even source them.
lol: Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2660686

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Stocknazi wrote:
20K NO INTERIOR flipseat Westy described as "solid" in the ad. There is a huge rust hole in the roof; also roof has been crushed by a tree or something.

NO motor, NO title, not even the front flipseat. Probably cost 50K alone in parts, IF you are lucky enough to even source them.
lol: Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2660686

That thing is a pile. Its $18k overpriced.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

What a relief that "shipping is included"

Link...... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2662374
Section... Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67
Title..... Bus brake pedal bolt OG
Price..... 45 shipped
User...... Euro import parts llc
EMail..... [email protected]
Location.. Bay Area, California, USA
Description:
$45 usd, free shipping to anywhere in the USA
==========
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2705, 2706, 2707, 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2706 of 2710

Jump to: