Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canadian Bug Owners
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Driving VW's in Vancouver??? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I put up a general posting up before I found the Canadian section of the forum. Cool deal! Just the guys I need to talk too. Hey, I maybe making a move up to Vancouver in the next six months to a year from Southern California and was wondering if I’m out of my mind thinking I’m going to daily drive a vintage (pre 65) VW Bug or perhaps Van. To start out I will most likely be living in East Vancouver and will be doing my work within 20 klicks of home. Hopefully. Will be mostly around town driving and to the suburbs. Will have access to another car for long distance driving. Theft can be an issue with restored VW in SoCal and was wondering what the possible situation is in Vancouver? Also, Will I be able to find parts and quality mechanics to keep the car tuned and happy? If anyone has any info about these things it would really be appreciated.
Thanks again.
And happy motoring again.
Tommy
Errol1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the post. See your quite the beetle fan. Nice to see another person from Quebec, with more than just a passing interest. Welcome to the Canuck VW thread. Errol
Errol1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe. no more recent posts.......aaaaaaaawwwwwwww.
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, here is another one.... I'm from Quebec, now i'm driving one of my split bus. Look at the avatar. Good project, nice to drive and a lot of smile. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All
I just found this section. As everyone else has stated - small scene here. I am in Calgary. The only times i see another A/C Dub is at shows.
I have a good collection getting bigger!
I noticed James from Parksville posted about his cross Canada trip.
Hey James - you and Elliot should write a story about that trip!
Did you ever get the letter I sent you?

Anyhow, we are a small but dedicated group up here in the Wasteland!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Im in Brampton Ontario also. I have a 1975 Beetle.
Patty, the Great Canadian Bug show has been gone for a couple of years now. There were rumours of it coming back but thats the last I heard of it. Where are you in Brampton? I'm in the North-West end of the city. We get out to a few cruise nights a week in the summer, mainly Brampton, Georgetown and Milton.
dan macmillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: northern ontario Reply with quote

Hi, Dan from Northern Ontario here. I live in Sudbury and like most other areas in Canada the VW scene is small. I myself have the biggest single collection of licensed and driven VW's in the area.

66 Modified Meyers Manx {the Phoenix}
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 Jeffries Mantaray II Kyote,

74 Thing,

77 Type 2 Transporter daily driver 24/7 year round. I am currently restoring a 74 Beetle { I do all work myself including bodywork and paint, my neighbor handles the airbrushing}. Other projects are waiting to be started.My wife and I travel all over Northern Ontario attending the car shows and trying to get other VW owners to do the same. I also try to attend the June Jitterbug in Niagara Falls each year. Went down 2 times with the Kyote and last time down was 2004 with the Phoenix. Planning on attending in 2006 with the Thing and a bunch of other VW nuts from my area.

We all drive the 7 hours to the show. Our motto is build them to be driven and never trailer a working vehicle. During the spring, summer and fall our local NON VW club has cruise nights on sundays. I attend every one {weather permitting} and occaisionally see other bugs coming out of the woodwork.

Hope to meet some other VW owners in the coming year.
beetle-museum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Canadian capital of the Beetle Reply with quote

Hi from Montreal !

City of the Beetle Museum. Been assembling a collection of stock beetles from 1949 to 1979 in and around Montreal.

Keep them alive !

Francois Very Happy
jonnynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from the B.C. lower mainland. I just found this post, pretty cool.
I live in South Delta and work in Langley. My VW is a '69 notchback, which is a work in progress (check out my gallery for some pics so far)and on hold while i gather funds to buy a house.
Tommy 100 if you see this. Beware auto theft in the greater Vancouver area is really bad. I think a one point one of the suburbs that shall remain nameless was the number two auto theft area in the world.
On a more positive note, for aircooled parts you are in luck in the GVRD
CIP1 and Air Speed parts are located 45 minutes outside of town. There are also several good A/C mechanics in the suburbs. The Great Canadian VW show is also held at the end of August in the Vancouver area, very cool event.
Nice to see some Canadians here, take care.
Jon
canbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy from Calgary. Acually Crossfield, 45 kilometers north of Cowtown. I drive my 78 Bus daily to work, about 90 km round trip. During the summer or any warm day my wife drives her 56 Ghia. It all started when my son turned 16 and had to have a bug. The start of something very good. We have owned a few sence then and will own a few more in the future. Too much fun Very Happy

Her 56 KG
His 56 KG
69 Single Cab, my new daily driver.
farmerwong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this post - nice work Errol. Good to see the Canuck connection. Check out the Victoria Volkswagen club for more Vancouver Island aircooled connections www.vvwc.ca.

Tommy Vancouver is a good place to own a VW. Lots of parts, enough reputable mechanics. I was in East Van for a few years until moving to Victoria. Theft is an issue but I never had any touble with my syncro or the wife's Xterra. A lot depends on what part of East Van. I'm in the process of shipping a '60 splitty from L.A. - it's worth it to bring one up with you.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so impressed with the Vancouver VW scene. Quality people doing quality work. Jeff and Lanny and of course Barry Guscott......it doesn't get any better than that. Wink
commercial air
Samba Member

Location: Driving in the crumple zone...Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, just thought I'd post here as well. I'm in Regina, Sask...now working inside 'cause it's freakin cold outside.LOL I'm working on a resto/custom on a '68 DC. Lots of other projects waiting. The list is as follows: '68 DC, '64 notch, '60 kombi, '55 panel, '60 beetle, and a couple of squarebacks. Glad to see Canadians together...keep posting.

Chris

BTW, check out www.clubveedub.com (Calgary) and www.airriders.ca (Edmonton)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BuglyBaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waoh
Hello from Manitoba
There is no VW scene here... and from what I can tell Im all alone on thesamba. Working on frankenstiening together a 76 Baja.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to feel a little jealous reading of shows down in the south--man, when will this weird winter be done already! Rather it just be winter instead of cold damp rain snow warm rain sleet snow rain cold windy warm freeeezing damp bla bla bla...
Oh, but if it bright right to 6pm now!
Errol1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys. Thanks for the posts. Not quite a post from every province, but getting there. Considering the bug hasn't been sold in Canada since, what is it, 1979, plus the fact most of Canada puts salt on the road in winter we havn't done too bad. No Newfies as of yet. None from Nova Scotia either. How about it, any more Canuck Bug owners want to leave a post??????
David Househead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from Calgary here...
not too many air cooled cars left here but unlike what riff raff said...I see at least one a day... open your eyes more Keith! Laughing
most of the time it tends to be a bay window though

I have a 75 westy & a 65 Beetle (Canadian Standard) and drive both all the time...when it's too cold and snowy I drive a 79 Rabbit

A few of my friends have air cooleds as well...

Calgary folks check out www.clubveedub.com
Edmontonions check out www.airriders.ca

I started a Canadian pic post...please add to it
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1358385#1358385
ve9aa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi from Fredericton, NB. Very very few V-dubs out here. (eveything is rotted away long ago).
I drive a Mini or 2 and am currently on the hunt for a V-dub..........with a Mini up for trade.
Lets keep the thread going !
Mike
gray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i'm in oakville ontario, 20 min south of toronto

thought i would put my support in for this thread

why must we hybernate?
petevdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, from Toronto.

Own a '72 super and a '52 split.

If your in the GTA:

next meet: Tuesday May 9th

aircooled VW's, performance parts, upgrades, swaps?
building/restoring and looking for ideas/resources?

We try to meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Duck and Firkin (or so) at Ford Drive and Royal Windsor at 7:30 PM. check the germanlook.com forums to make sure.

Directions:

Coming from TO on QEW:
Exit at Ford Drive and go south (left) on Ford Drive.
Stay on Ford Drive until you pass Royal Windsor. The bar is on your right in that little strip mall.

Coming from Hamilton on QEW:
Exit at Royal Windsor and follow the street. You will pass the Ford plant on your left. Once you get to Ford Drive make a right. you will see the bar on your right hand side.

Coming from Brampton on 403:
Exit at Upper Middle Road/ Ford Drive. Make a right on Upper Middle Road. At the next light make a left on Ford Drive. Continue on Ford Drive until you pass Royal Windsor. You will see the bar on your right.

The bar is located on the other site of the Petro Canada gas station which is located on the south/east corner of Ford Drive and Royal Windsor.

everyone is welcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: