Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad experience with vendor
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent Melcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Bad experience with vendor Reply with quote

I placed an order with Dan's Performance Parts, and asked if it would be shipped in time for it to arrive when I had scheduled 10 days later with a friend to work with me on some engine modifications. Specifically, I ordered 40 X 35.5 heads and dual Kadron carbs. He said they would be shipped on Friday, which would allow 8 days shipping time. Just in case, I told him I would pay for 3-day shipping. I also told him to call me if there was a problem shipping my order on time.
He then said that he didn't have the Kadrons in stock but would get them in on Friday.
The next week, I did not receive the order nor a call from Dan. I called him on that Friday, a week later, and he still had not shipped my order, even though he charged my credit card the day after I placed the order. When I called he said he didn't have the carbs, and that his supplier was having trouble getting them, so he didn't know when he would have any.
I cancelled the order. He was angry, and said he would ship the heads that day. I told him that would do me no good because I wouldn't get them by Sunday afternoon when my friend and I were going to start the project. I also told him if he had called me on Monday to let me know that he hadn't received carbs I would have told him to ship the heads and I would try to find the carbs locally.
He told me there would be a restocking charge. I said there shouldn't be because he never shipped me any merchandise, and if he had called me as he said he would he would have at least sold a pair of heads.
He did credit my account, but withheld about $95.00 for the restocking charge. Outrageous!
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you wrote is correct, he is a thief. Dispute the charge with your credit card company.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWD I agree call the credit card company tell them what happened and how the hell can you be charged a restocking fee for parts not received thats just horse shit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jumpmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call my CC company and initiate a chargeback so fast it would make his head swim. And I don't normally do stuff like that except in situations like this where it's clearly a bogus "restocking" fee. That's horse crap.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you restock a part that was never stocked in the first place?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dansparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent, I did not charge you a restock fee on your order and you were told that. You did get a cancellation fee because you canceled that order. I had the heads ready to ship out to you but you wanted the whole order or nothing. It is truth that I was out of stock on the Empi Solex carbs and told you that I had to order them in. When they did not come in I called Empi and was told that I will get them the next day so I did not sweat it. Needless to say they did not come in the next day so I call Empi again and was told that they where out of the intake manifolds and it might take a week before they come in. I told you that I was sorry that I did not call you about the carbs and that your order did not go out in time and I was trying to work with you, but you pitch a big fit about the whole thing and you told me that you would go on all the message forums to make me look bad. I guess it is what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
juroknow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not do agree or disagree about the situation, but Empi was out of the intakes.
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the parts business 14 years now, and I always knew a 'restock fee' and 'cancellation fee' to be the same thing.....depending on what better suits the vendor. I call BS on that charge being levied.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
del
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you can't bill someone's credit card until the items are shipped. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancellation fee = BS charge.
Dispute it with your CC. If the CC company gives you any flack, ask them to show you where you authorized a cancellation fee. Demand that they show you where it is stated on the guy's web site that you are agreeing to a cancellation fee.
Clowns like this need to be shut down.
Franklin's VW Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

del wrote:
I thought you can't bill someone's credit card until the items are shipped. Confused

That is the way we do it here. We do not charge until the order is ready to be shipped, however some customers ask that it be charged (with the exception of the shipping charges) at the they order it so they can make sure the money is there and the item is payed for, then when the item is ready to be shipped we call them and they pay for the shipping.

The only other time we will charge the card before shipment is when it is a big order, then we require half down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company I work for doesn't charge anything until the order is packed and ready to roll; that's so we can charge the exact shipping that the carrier (usually UPS) charges us. No profit on shipping for us, and no games for the customer. Cool

outrageous 'restock' and 'cancellation' fees are used by companies who don't care for return business IMO.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
Tin_Pusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansparts wrote:
Kent, I did not charge you a restock fee on your order and you were told that. You did get a cancellation fee because you canceled that order. I had the heads ready to ship out to you but you wanted the whole order or nothing. It is truth that I was out of stock on the Empi Solex carbs and told you that I had to order them in. When they did not come in I called Empi and was told that I will get them the next day so I did not sweat it. Needless to say they did not come in the next day so I call Empi again and was told that they where out of the intake manifolds and it might take a week before they come in. I told you that I was sorry that I did not call you about the carbs and that your order did not go out in time and I was trying to work with you, but you pitch a big fit about the whole thing and you told me that you would go on all the message forums to make me look bad. I guess it is what it is.

So if I place an order with you, but the parts are out of stock for 9 months it's too bad for me? And if I don't want to wait 9 months for you to deliver the parts that I ordered in good faith, you'll charge me an outrageous cancellation fee as well?

No thanks.
dansparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone who is reading this listing....I don't believe you have the complete story. As stated before, Kent ordered these parts from me but maybe I wasn't clear on my earlier posting that the heads he ordered were special ordered and I had received them and were ready to ship. I was waiting for the Empi carbs to come in and was told by my distributor that I would receive them in time. However, by the time I learned that my distributor didn't have the intake manifolds for this carb kit, Kent called and wanted the entire order cancelled. When he called I told him that the order was ready to go with the exception of the carb kit and that by cancelling this order there would be a cancellation fee. It's not a re-stock fee because the carbs never came in. It's a cancellation fee because I'm still in the possession of the heads that I had to special order for his vehicle. If I have to send these heads back to the distributor they will charge me a 20% restock. I was only charging Kent a 10% cancellation fee. It's very sad to see that there are people in this industry that are eager to jump to conclusions because of one persons side of their story without knowing the complete story. I'm a mom and pop shop and I try to go out of my way to please my customers. I've been in this business for years and this is the first negative posting I've received. I think that speaks volumes to the type of business I run. There are a few of you who have posted on this listing that are in the same type of business and I know I have referred many customers to your sites when I was unable to help them out. I believe it is pretty sad that in order to promote your business you have to trash another business.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansparts wrote:
the heads he ordered were special ordered

What makes these 40x35 heads so special that you can't sell them to another customer?
turbobarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10% cancellation that means that a pair of 40 x 35 heads and a set of kadrons are $950 bucks looks like you just saved a lot of people a lot of money.
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a "mom and pop shop" myself, We charge the credit card the day that we invoice it. Why do you ask? How about a ton of fraud in this world! I am worried every day when i ship a $1600 Air ride kit or a $600 set of brakes( 24hour shipping) and fear that I wont get paid due to fraud or insufficent funds. I know myself there are a ton of great customers out there but its the bad ones that make us do whats best for us so that we are not up shit creek without a paddle.

As far as the fee, everybody should ask those questions before hand to cover their ass.

If i use the customers money to pay for the parts and they cancel the order for whatever reason, there will be a restocking or special order fee taken out of the original amount. Every vendor has there own Terms and Conditions. As a fellow business, i can understand Dan's point of veiw and can look at it and his perspective.

As each and every one of us as consumers, we should look at the terms and conditions of anything that we want to purchase as in a car purchase, credit card, mortgage etc.. Each business needs to cover it's ass as do each one of us.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: