Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any problems with "buyers" not sending payment?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Any problems with "buyers" not sending payment? Reply with quote

I've had NUMEROUS supposed "buyers" say they want an item, how much to ship & where to send the check, only to never hear from them again. This is after correspondence back and forth , etc. In the meantime, I've had to tell other potential buyers the item is sold, and I wait patiently for the supposed "buyer's" check to arrive. After a week or so, inquiring e-mails to the "buyer" go un-answered, and I have to start the whole process over again. One particular "buyer" has answered an ad for a part at least 3 times, same story every time.... I finally just stopped replying to him. Any tips on how to handle these lame-o's? Some folks REALLY need or want an item, and these knuckle-heads screw it up for them, too.
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound's like a guy in Arizona I started a thread on awhile back ! His name was Willy He would say the check's in the mail and I would never recieve it. Then he would go through all my ads saying he'll take that and that. What a joke. JUST POST THE LOSER'S NAME AND EMAIL so we Know who to avoid for any further headaches. Other than that can't really do much !
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Deleted by Gruven***

Last edited by gruven on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a hassle when you're selling. No real way to sift through who's going to and who isn't unless it's with Paypal. Then you know sooner anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has happened. One guy SWORE payment was being over nighted and sent me a copy of a FedEx BOL. Then, he claimed the secretary at the office didn't send payment, his wife reminded him he was going to overnight payment, blah, blah, blah. I just write it off to the cost of business. I will send one reminder to someone that payment hasn't arrived after I have waited a week. After that, too bad.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the time.
(in the following statements, the term "you" is a general term, and not directed at anyone in particular.)
look, i don't care if you change your mind about something. the thing that pisses me off is when you don't tell me for a few days or weeks so i let others hanging, or i have to keep emailing you about the part/money/etc. if someone says they are gonna paypal me in the next day and then i don't hear from them for a couple, i'll send an email asking what's going on. after that i'll lose my patience a little, because if you have the time to email me and be on the samba alot, you can take the 2 minutes to send me a paypal payment. i usually get a little impatient if someone is gonna mail me payment and it hasn't shown up in about a week. it only takes a day to get a money order and mail it and a few days for the letter to get across the country.
much of the stuff i list i get a few people per item that are interested. i don't want to change the ad to "sale pending" and lose a potential buyer unless i am sure the first person is gonna buy it.
just don't dick me around. i'm more than understanding if you change your mind, just freakin' let me know so i'm not waiting around.
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to hear that I'm not the only one this has happened to....

Last edited by gruven on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
www.L5VW.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like if they don`t Paypal or call with a credit card number about 80 o/o of the "I`ll send you payment asap" payments never show up !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bond007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing has happened to me in all these years of selling vw parts Rolling Eyes
myk648
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all part of the "fun". This kind of thing happens all the time. With me, you've got 1 chance...if I don't recieve the payment in a reasonable amount of time, I just move on and don't deal with you again!
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gruven wrote:
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one this has happened to....

A short list of folks that have done this....

1. [email protected] , Lou from Florida

Has "bought" items two times. The second time he tried,
I inquired about the previous items he supposedly
wanted.... no reply, that was about a week ago.

2. [email protected] , Brendan from California

Has "bought" a dealer emblem at least 3 times, I just don't
answer his replies to my ads anymore.

3. [email protected] , Simon from the northwest

"Bought" a hitch, even called to let me know he sent the
money order. When it didn't arrive after 2 weeks,
I e-mailed him, thinking the m.o. was lost in the mail
or something. Nope, just couldn't afford it, but he still
wants it. Quote:

Geoffrey,

I'm sorry about the delay. I had a financial tough month and the hitch was
on the bottom of the list. I am still interested but I need to wait a
short time. If you have other offers, by all means, sell. If you still
have it for sale, I will by. Thanks for your patience.

Simon

I'm not saying that these are bad folks, I just wish they'de get their
shit together.

Like I said, this is just a short list. Unfortunlately, I've deleted a bunch from my e-mail account already, but I'm "waiting" on some more money orders to arrive, so I'm sure the list will grow.

Let it be known that the "Brendan" listed in this list IS NOT ME!!! There are more than one of us Brendans amongst the MILLIONS of Californians out there.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's NOT the same _______. The other _______ didn't post his last name, and the e-mail isn't the same. I didn't mean to offend all the other _______'s out there..... I believe the _______ I mentioned is from the Bay-area, not So-Cal......

(edited by Gruven)

Last edited by gruven on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
58ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my short time selling on samba it seems that i'll get five responces for an item and maybe one of em will come through, i was getting allot of "delete the add i want it!" "sold paypal on it's way" the checks in the mail.
i have decided im going to start posting flakes, or just keep selling on evil bay, atleast youll get your money and you can fry them if they dont pay up, but in 8 years ive only had one person flake on payment.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58ragtop wrote:
in my short time selling on samba it seems that i'll get five responces for an item and maybe one of em will come through, i was getting allot of "delete the add i want it!" "sold paypal on it's way" the checks in the mail.
i have decided im going to start posting flakes, or just keep selling on evil bay, atleast youll get your money and you can fry them if they dont pay up, but in 8 years ive only had one person flake on payment.

My advice is to take flakes with a grain of salt. People tell me they wants something, then the ad is pending until money arrives. Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from an ad on the samba.com, He's come up with a system, anybody have any else to add?

PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING OR ASKING QUESTIONS. E-MAILS WITHOUT REQUESTED INFORMATION AND WITH QUESTIONS ALREADY ANSWERED IN AD INFO OR SHIPPING INFO, WILL NOT BE ANSWERED. PLEASE LOOK BEFORE YOU ASK.....THANK YOU.

Please check my other ads for more great NEW/NOS and Excellent Condition Used VW parts..........Thank you, we appreciate your business and cooperation.....

Buyer pays small packing/handling charge ($2.00 minimum)in addition to shipping cost's, payment must be received within 7 days (excluding international buyers, ask) from agreement on transaction/sale. Money orders, cashiers check, personal checks (7-10 days to clear) or cash preferred, NO PAY-PAL.....NO PAY-PAL. Please, DO NOT ask for shipping cost's unless you are buying an item/items. If you are a buyer send me ALL, your shipping info with your request, then I can proceed and get total cost to get item/items to you, in doing so, time is better managed. I keep a log book with info in it to assist in tracking transactions (over 350 successful vw parts "auctions" on E. B. and over 500 sales on samba ), if you were a deadbeat once (agreed to buy, but did not follow through and left me hanging with no good reasoning),i will not deal with you again, you know who you are, so please don't ask........
John31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw 'em!!! I'ts just part of doing business, whether online, or in person! Unfortunately, you can't see the person face-to-face over the internet, so it's a bit challenging to determine their sincerity.

Bottom line - you set the terms of the sale (in your ads and in your emails) - make it absolutely clear - and stick to it - no exceptions!!! Serious buyers will appreciate your honesty and steadfastness, and "strokes" will be turned off!!! In a very short time, you will realize the the quality of your buyers will increase! You're better of answering Fewer "Quality" calls than Tons of "Crap" - Quality over Quantity!!! And remember - it's just business!
fombooe1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has any 1 had any problems getting money order,s cashed ?? maybe im stupid about these things iv never recieved 1 iv only sent them but how would you get 1 cashed with no bank account ?? any clue,s im partially afraid the money order is fake but i have no way of finding out and i cant send the parts out untill i have the cash in hand any 1 ?? help
58ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your case i would request a postal money order, that way you can cash it at the local post office, which you are going to be at any way if your sending the package through usps....no bank needed Smile
gruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I do, I even DISCOURAGE sending sash, it's too un-trackable...
My mailing procedure is I receive the Postal Money Order, pack-up the item(s), go to the local Post Office, and cash the m.o. at the same time the item(s) goes out. No question if the money order is good or not, and the quicker I send the stuff, not only does the buyer NOT have to wait forever for it to arrive, the quicker I get my $$$, too.
I also add "DELIVERY CONFIRMATION", for 55 cents, to ensure the item gets there to the right address, with a signature..
Buyers can even kind of ESTIMATE their OWN postage by using the Post Office's web-site, at www.usps.com. At least it can give you a rough idea of what it should be.
fombooe1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still not understanding about cashing a money order i tried many banks with no luck and i even tried some shady check cashing places and a billion other places . was told the post office would but the money order i got was aparently not postel . sorry all im very new to the whole internet sales thing Surprised) i dont want the people buying this stuff to wait for ever but i dont want to get taken either . i guess i should just deposit it in my bank till it clears ?? any advice wold be very helpful and a thousand praises to the samba love this site
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: