Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An air cooled newbie, 009 distributor and mis-adjusted valve
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: An air cooled newbie, 009 distributor and mis-adjusted valve Reply with quote

I set out to make my car run properly, since it's the only real thing bothering me about my car - but it's a fairly big thing.

As documented over several days here, I attempted to adjust my valves "by the book" - that is, using Muir's Manual. I eventually got the hang of it, and I'm fairly confident I've gotten the valves adjusted to within recommended specs (0.006") but when I started the car, it wouldn't stay running - and that's good because it sounded like a bogged down motorboat.

I've been reading about timing the 009, how crappy of a distributor it is, how it's timed differently, etc., and I realized that perhaps I've screwed up in following the manual to the letter.

I'm assuming that all timing figures (as related to valve adjustment) given in the book are based off of stock VW distributors. So basically, if I used those figures, than the setup for the 009 distributor is potentially way off.

At the end of all this, I guess my question is... how do I "reset" the timing to be able to start fresh?

Does any of this make sense? Very Happy
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably isn't the best way, but it's what I did when I had 009. 2 people makes it easy, but can be done alone.

Crank the car while VERY SLOWLY rotating the dizzy. You'll eventually hit a spot where the motor fires. Start from there.

There's a post on how to set the timing for a 009, but I couldn't find it quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squarely67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what Bobnotch suggests.

Bobnotch wrote:
The correct way to set it is with a dial type timing light, set @ 30*. Use the same mark you use to set the valves, and rev the engine to 3000 rpms. Set the distributor while it's at that mark, and it's at that engine speed, and let the idle fall where it will.
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squarely67 wrote:
Here's what Bobnotch suggests.

Bobnotch wrote:
The correct way to set it is with a dial type timing light, set @ 30*. Use the same mark you use to set the valves, and rev the engine to 3000 rpms. Set the distributor while it's at that mark, and it's at that engine speed, and let the idle fall where it will.

I think all this "BTDC" stuff is confusing me - I think I'm mixing it up with actual TDC.

Muir says to get cylinder #1 ready to adjust the valves by rotating the engine to the left notch on the fan, making sure the line on the rotor matches up with the line on the distributor case. From there, you just rotate the fan 180* for the next cylinder. Is this correct? If not, it's no wonder my car is running poorly.
Squarely67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the way it's done. Are you rotating the engine COUNTERCLOCKWISE 180 degrees? That way, after number 1, you can do number 2 on the same side. Then 3 and 4 on the other side.
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the rotor was turning counter-clockwise as I handspun the engine.

So do I use the left notch initially, adjust the valves that way, and THEN use the middle notch (7.5* BTDC) to statically set the timing of the 009?

The one thing I'm not sure of is setting the timing at 3000rpms as is recommended all over the place for the 009 - I know I need a dial type timing light - but what is the exact procedure?
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the car is running... barely. It still won't hold idle, but it runs. Just not well. Smile

I have an appointment with an expert a/c mechanic a couple towns over - it's about a 40 minute drive.

My car sounds a fair bit quieter now that I've adjusted the valves/timed it - not sure if that's good or not. Also, it backfires really loud a fair bit. Not when I'm giving gas, only when I'm slowing down in gear.

Basically my questions are, can you guys suggest anything to check before I make this drive? I don't mind being down on power or whatever, I just don't want to HURT anything getting there.

Thanks guys!
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same thing as you and the 009 thing can get frustrating. I talked to a vw guy here and he recomended this. Before you try to adjust timing, take the carb linkage off and turn your idle screw (screws if you have dual carbs) all the way out till your car is barely running and sync them. The idea is to take all the advance out of your dizzy. Then reconnect the linkage and make sure they are still synced. I started with an idle of about 750-800 RPM. Using a tach and a dial timing light I set my timing at 30* and let the idle fall where it did. Because not all 009 are the same, you may have to advance or retard it a little to get it right.

After all that is done, set your idle back at 900 RPMs. I did it this way and I think I got it right... finally. If you want another thread to read, go here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65601&highlight=009+timing

or here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116355

hope thais helps.

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Fat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well I dont' have a timing light and the car won't hold idle so I can't try either of those things... but thanks for the advice.

The car is statically timed at 7.5*BTDC now so I guess I'll try 15* like that link you posted mentions and see if that makes any changes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: