Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first car was a....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My first car was a.... Reply with quote

1961 Beetle, beryl grun, in 1966. It was 5 years old but rusted out like crazy. The education on all other beetles was and is priceless. I have owned VWs continually since the BEGINNING.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My first car was a.... Reply with quote

My first car was a gold 1978 Honda Civic Hatchback but I was infatuated with a 1974 VW Thing that a neighbour had rebuilt but it was 3x the price of the Honda Civic. My 2nd vehicle was a 1973 VW Panel Bus and now I have a 76 Westy.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: My first car was a.... Reply with quote

My first car was a 1971 Toyota Corolla 2 door notch. The nickname for this body style was Peanut. Dark green, 1200cc engine, 12" wheels, 4 speed manual transmission, and not much else. Got it in late 1977.

My first VW was a 1979 Rabbit L, bought in 1982. Amazing car for the time. Quick and agile. I used to run away from much faster cars in traffic.

Prior to the Corolla, I attempted to learn to drive a standard in my Dad's 1971 Beetle. I wasn't very successful for a number of reasons, the bottom hinged pedals and the teacher being two of them. I successfully taught myself in the aforementioned Corolla.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My first car was a.... Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
My first car was a 1971 Toyota Corolla 2 door notch. The nickname for this body style was Peanut. Dark green, 1200cc engine, 12" wheels, 4 speed manual transmission, and not much else. Got it in late 1977.

My first VW was a 1979 Rabbit L, bought in 1982. Amazing car for the time. Quick and agile. I used to run away from much faster cars in traffic.

Prior to the Corolla, I attempted to learn to drive a standard in my Dad's 1971 Beetle. I wasn't very successful for a number of reasons, the bottom hinged pedals and the teacher being two of them. I successfully taught myself in the aforementioned Corolla.

Something like this one?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My first car was a.... Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

Something like this one?

Thank you for that picture! Wow, the memories.

That's actually a coupe, not a sedan, or notchback like I had as my first car. My second car was a coupe like the one in the picture.

My '72 coupe had a 1600cc engine and 13" wheels, a big step up from the first one.

Either one of them would run circles around a Beetle of that time (which I did on occasion).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Mine was a new 1974 Beetle.

Summer of 1974

It's currently sitting in my garage

Summer of 2004

It’s 2024 and it’s still in his garage

Laughing
roggarrido56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: My first car was a.... Reply with quote

My first car was a 72 Dodge Challenger 318, bought it in 1974 green with black vinyl top, air shocks and the price! $1,400.00
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: