Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still a rat look?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Still a rat look? Reply with quote

Well i posted a question on how to remove the top coat of paint to expose the OG paint. Well it turns out that awhile ago the car was completely sanded down to primer then painted. the hard to reach spots were not sanded they were just painted over. The car is white but in the wheel wells and trunk i see the gulf blue. The white paint is showing wear over the years it has that weathered look. is this still considered the rat look even though it is not OG paint. I had intentions of stripping off as much white as possible to expose the Gulf Blue but i cant do that after my findings. Should i still try and keep her like she is?
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Still a rat look? Reply with quote

rickc'svdubs wrote:
Well i posted a question on how to remove the top coat of paint to expose the OG paint. Well it turns out that awhile ago the car was completely sanded down to primer then painted. the hard to reach spots were not sanded they were just painted over. The car is white but in the wheel wells and trunk i see the gulf blue. The white paint is showing wear over the years it has that weathered look. is this still considered the rat look even though it is not OG paint. I had intentions of stripping off as much white as possible to expose the Gulf Blue but i cant do that after my findings. Should i still try and keep her like she is?

If it's entirely up to us what you should do with YOUR car, I'd say pack it up with all your extra parts, and send it to me. ...that's my vote anyway.

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I don't understand the question.

Are you trying to make your current paint job look worse so you can fit in with the "rat look" crowd, or do you actually need to repaint the Bug, but don't want to right now?

I'm not trying to be a jerk...just trying to get a handle on why you would intentionally remove the only thing protecting your metal Bug body from rust and the elements...the paint.

I wouldn't recommend trying to artificially create that "patina" look. It never turns out as good as mother nature can do it, and just looks artificial.
I like Fast Cars, Young Women, and Easy Money --- Funny --- Bugs seem to get me NONE of this!
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat Look = primer (or shitty paint), and red spray painted rims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSims1868 wrote:

Are you trying to make your current paint job look worse so you can fit in with the "rat look" crowd, or do you actually need to repaint the Bug, but don't want to right now?

I'm not trying to be a jerk...just trying to get a handle on why you would intentionally remove the only thing protecting your metal Bug body from rust and the elements...the paint.

I am not talking about stripping off any more paint, i was originally going to remove just the top coat to expose the original paint. I found that the only og paint still on the car was in the trunk, fender wells, hard to reach places. i guess you weren’t trying to be a jerk, but sorry not trying to fit in anywhere, I just like the rat look. So let me rephrase my ? who thinks i should paint the car or leave the car like it is with the old aftermarket paint job?

Oh it is shitty paint.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand some areas down to the metal and allow it to rust. That'll help you achieve the desired rat look. Otherwise, what you currently have is a car that has lots of patina, but not necessarily ratlook Ratlook cars have rusted areas, not just original paint.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are many different opinions of patina, but this is what I think of when I hear patina:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=199203
Original paint, faded through and some surface rust.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just buy my 65. It is the ultimate patina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oc63rag wrote:
I'm sure there are many different opinions of patina, but this is what I think of when I hear patina:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=199203
Original paint, faded through and some surface rust.

That is what I would definitely call patina. We have a lot of that in Nebraska. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=201099

Rat Look to me is more of a painted car with flatener put in the paint.
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info everyone, I was able to wet sand off the red stripe off the hood. Somone was trying to make a herbie out of her, not saying that is bad thing just not my taste. I guess everyone has a different opinion of the rat, and patina look. i am going to clean her up a little, wet sand, and buff it out. I will go from there.
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people have a difference of opinion as to what "Rat Look" and "Patina Look" really are.

There are just some people that don't know the difference and use both terms inter-twined.
I like Fast Cars, Young Women, and Easy Money --- Funny --- Bugs seem to get me NONE of this!
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickc'svdubs wrote:
I am not talking about stripping off any more paint, i was originally going to remove just the top coat to expose the original paint. I found that the only og paint still on the car was in the trunk, fender wells, hard to reach places. i guess you weren’t trying to be a jerk, but sorry not trying to fit in anywhere, I just like the rat look. So let me rephrase my ? who thinks i should paint the car or leave the car like it is with the old aftermarket paint job?

Oh it is shitty paint.

I think you should do whatever you want. Who cares what WE think? Smile You have to drive it. If you're going for a rat look I suggest you strip the body, sandblast it, fix all the dings, straighten everything out and make it smooth, and cover it with flat black paint. Primer works, but it doesn't seal out water. This way you can paint it later if you choose to show.

Then again, I still like the idea of you handing it all over to me. Smile

-kf
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSims1868 wrote:
I don't think people have a difference of opinion as to what "Rat Look" and "Patina Look" really are.

There are just some people that don't know the difference and use both terms inter-twined.

Agreed! To me, Rat-Look is par with the rat-fink style Hot Rods of the 50's and 60's. Flat paint (usually black) with a nice body, nice tires/rims, and a perfect interior. Under the hood the rat lives, and it's a monster of a motor able to pick the wheels off the ground. At least this is MY opinion of Rat-Look. Oh, of course she'd be lowered to the ground....

This is what I'm building anyway. After all that work is over, a small white pinstripe will be added, and maybe a little Rat-Fink sticker on the rear window.

A Patina look to me is the bum rush to get a car running to make it to the show. Smile Rusted and bent parts from several vehicles all throw together to make a car.

I think both are kinda cool. I just prefer the rat look over the Patina.

-kf
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSims1868 wrote:

Man this guy has nothing but negative opinions to everything is say. Whats up with that man? Shame on you
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickc'svdubs wrote:
KSims1868 wrote:

Man this guy has nothing but negative opinions to everything is say. Whats up with that man? Shame on you

Sorry bro...I didn't mean to sound personally negative towards you. I really meant that a lot of people do use these terms simultaneously when they are very descriptive terms for very different looking cars.

Here's a classic example of "Rat Look":
flames are optional of course - and I've seen flat brown sub'd for flat black. John Deer Blitz Black is probably the most popular stuff right now as it is very durable and pretty cheap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now - here's patina:
nothing but nature can produce a work of art like this, and it is difficult (basically impossible) to reproduce effectively. People don't make a car look patina...exposure over time does.

rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its cool man, it is just most of the time people on forums, well you know how they can be. nice flames though Smile i love that patina in the lower pic. I am going to have to print that out for my VW room. yeah the wife let me take a room in the house and dedicate it to my mistress. Very Happy
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickc'svdubs wrote:
its cool man, it is just most of the time people on forums, well you know how they can be.

Yeah - wanna be, know-it-all, assholes with nothing better to do in this world but sit in front of a computer screen and pretend to know everything there is to know in this world, and if you disagree with them they'll kick your virtual ass. Cool

Is that what you mean! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes - those people get on my nerves to. I see how I kind of sounded like that for a minute in this thread...except the "wanna-be" part I guess I can be a know-it-all asshole from time to time. Watch it...or I'll kick your virtual ass!! Razz

It's all in good fun. Nice to have a whole room dedicated to your passion. I'm lucky I have a garage stuffed with my obsessions.
pistolpete76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work in the sign biz, and the term "patina" to is is a type of finish that is man made; to make something new look old and rusty. i keep hearing people say they are looking for cars with patins or they saw a car that has a patina on it, to me thats just a natrually rusty car, if its patina'd from my terms it means someone paitined it and treated it to rust and look worn as if done naturally. so to me a car like that one pictured with the OG paint worn threw and rusted is ratty, or a hoopty but its not patina'd because mother nature did it not man, know what i mean?
its a given that rat-rod came from an "unfinished" or "work-in project" car because it has signs of looking ratty, because its not 100% completed, some stay with the rat look for good, others will one day do it up nice. Im a fan of the work in progress myself.

i went for the suede black look as i dont have the body work totally right yet, the OG paint was flaking off and i dont like my cars turning into rust buckets, that stuffs cancer, the shit spreads and kills your car, my paint isnt primer either so it wont soak up water, its JD's blitz so its sealed real good
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KSims1868
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete - I was actually looking for a good picture of YOUR car to post as the "prime example of Rat Rod" when I found that chop-top bug.

I love that '65. Looks sweet.
Kaferfiend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickc'svdubs wrote:

There's nothing negative about what he said. Hang around here talking about the two styles, and you'll see he was 100% accurate.

-kf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: