Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo - the choke operates perfectly normal - closed cold, open fully hot. I have a '72 oil bath air filter with WORKING pre-heat, all tin and hoses are in place.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Awesome Victor! What about the throttle plate basic setting? That’s a BIG one! Without that set correctly, the vacuum signals within the carb throat are wonky. It would be very hard to set idle speed and timing (lots of scatter). And the end result is low power.

So, is the throttle plate set to its basic adjustment?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo, the throttle plate is set to spec. But there's been a change - I was helping a local club member w/his '72 today and in appreciation he let me have an almost-new Empi 34-3 he had in the stash of parts he got w/his car. We opened it up and went thru in part to show him how these work and also to make sure it was worth taking. It was fine, clean, and I ended up installing it and tuning it - again so he could see how I go about it as well as make sure it was workable and - CHA-CHING! The thing runs great, no f*king around w/jets like on the budget chinesium one. I took it on a 30-mile highway run and it pulsl good, idles steady, no issues. So.....I think this issue is resolved. I put the low-budget chinesium one on the shelf for some future project.

BTW - I pulled the plugs to check after driving w/the Empi and they looked good, similar to the above picture. I didn't get a picture of it this time though. And I checked the gap w/a feeler gauge rather than the spark plug clip gauge, and it turns out the gap is .028, not .030. So the .030 paper-clip type gauge I was using previously is inaccurate.

I helped him check the dwell on his distributor - it was 34 to start and we got it 47 - then showed him how I time it, and retuned-his Volksbitz carb after resetting the timing. Fun day off!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jimbo, the throttle plate is set to spec. But there's been a change - I was helping a local club member w/his '72 today and in appreciation he let me have an almost-new Empi 34-3 he had in the stash of parts he got w/his car. We opened it up and went thru in part to show him how these work and also to make sure it was worth taking. It was fine, clean, and I ended up installing it and tuning it - again so he could see how I go about it as well as make sure it was workable and - CHA-CHING! The thing runs great, no f*king around w/jets like on the budget chinesium one. I took it on a 30-mile highway run and it pulsl good, idles steady, no issues. So.....I think this issue is resolved. I put the low-budget chinesium one on the shelf for some future project.

BTW - I pulled the plugs to check after driving w/the Empi and they looked good, similar to the above picture. I didn't get a picture of it this time though. And I checked the gap w/a feeler gauge rather than the spark plug clip gauge, and it turns out the gap is .028, not .030. So the .030 paper-clip type gauge I was using previously is inaccurate.

I helped him check the dwell on his distributor - it was 34 to start and we got it 47 - then showed him how I time it, and retuned-his Volksbitz carb after resetting the timing. Fun day off!!

AWESOME VICTOR! How cool is that! KARMA! You must have been good to someone!

I was suspect of the carb, but one has to try and see to prove one’s gut feelings.

Glad you proved Chinese shit does not bolt onto German steel!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

The previous chinesium carb actually ran great. Just not durable.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Can't stop fiddling here, but I'm pretty sure I finally got the summer's gremlins out of the way. On 2 70+ mile highway runs I've documented the following:

35+ MPG per the odometer. 38 MPG if I go by the GPS. At speeds averaging 65-70. I'm still not sure I believe either number since i've only ever gotten over 33 once, in my old '72 Super on a spring Miami road trip back in 2015.

Here's the apparent magic formula w/this puppy:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- 1600DP, including all tin, cooling flaps, Awesome Powdercoat thermostat and Bus foam rear engine compartment seal
- QS 5W/30 full synthetic, CB Maxi-2 pump w/Bosch spin-on oil filter.
- Professionally rebuilt Bosch DVDA, timed to 7.5+ at idle
- NGK BP5HS protruding tip plugs gapped to .28
- Compu-Fire ignition module: Check
- Compu-Fire "high voltage" coil: Check
- EMPI see-through blue distributor cap, just cuz: Check Cool Laughing
- eBay Special Chinesium 34-3 carb acquired for "free": Check Laughing
- Harrod Helper Cool
- knock-off front spoiler

I say "free" because the vendor I bought the shelved one from, maxpeedingrods-ca, sent me one of those feedback request emails about my previous purchase. I politely let them know that I had shelved it because it was not properly tuneable, since the chinese carbs are a roll of the dice. I'd bought the previous good one from them 3+ years ago or so. They replied that they were sorry the one they recently sold me hadn't worked out and sent me this one for free, no need to return the defective one. Can't knock their customer service, that's for sure.

Anyway, I opened it and cleaned to make sure there was no flashing crap inside, adjusted the accelerator pump cam to get rid of the chinese slack, adjusted the throttle plate, installed and tuned it. Idles and runs perfectly. Start up is not quite as fast as the previous one before it developed the throttle shaft vacuum leak. This one the engine spins a couple of times whereas the previous one was almost immediate start up at the first crank.

Brake adjustment next week and then its ready for the TG Miami road trip, life is good. We'll see if the MPG numbers hold up on the road loaded up w/my son, the dog and the car packed to the hilt.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Bro what do you pack for spares on the long trips? You've probably posted this or commented in a thread on the subject if you could spare a link.

Amazing mileage. Master tuner.
(adopted out) 61 Turkis Pile https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728764
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Lol, We'll see about the mileage, I'm not convinced I don't have some hidden confirmation bias going on. We'll soon find out!!

As for spares, I just carry the usuals - accelerator cable, clutch cable, fuel pump, ready-to--pop-im distributor (pre-timed with its own clamp in place), alternator belt, fuses, quart of oil, all the tools I need...Cept a big floor jack. Oh and some electrical stuff.... You know, the usual bits. Honestly , it's a bit of the old refugee/depression era mentality, stealing packets of sugar and cheap silverware at a diner for a rainy day. Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
....you know, the usual bits. Honestly , it's a bit of the old refugee/depression era mentality, stealing packets of sugar and cheap silverware at a diner for a rainy day. Very Happy

Too precious, brings back memories of clearing my grandpa's place rest his soul. Family pictures everywhere, and a closet full of sugar packets and paper napkins from the local drive-through.
(adopted out) 61 Turkis Pile https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728764
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

*FINALLY* got my lazy ass moving to replace the shift bushing that didn't last a week...last replaced over 3 years ago!!

It was pretty much toast, the bottom half had shredded off.

The rear coupler rubber was in like-new shape. It was German-made rubber, even has the VW logo and part number stampings. I acquired it back when I was collecting parts pre-assembling the car in oh 2019-20? This is after installing the shift rod bushing up front, bolt tight and wired in place.

I went with the 2-piece printed bushing I picked up from CIP1. This thing is the *bomb*. It was actually really easy to install.
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the bottom piece, which goes on first. You flip the rod 180* so the receptacle is on the bottom, then easy w/needle nose pliers place the bottom piece on top and push it towards the hanging bracket so that the raised lip clicks into place. I wasn't sure if bearing grease was the right stuff to use w/this because of the material, I went w/red rubber grease which held it in place nicely.

Then you carefully turn the shiftrod back to its correct orientation and install the top half of the bushing. Push it back into the bracket so it sits flush w/the bottom piece and against the bracket. Then insert the provided bolt (replaces the rear shifter hold-down bolt) until it's just snug on the spot in the bushing for this, so that the bushing doesn't slide or roll on the shift rod. Then install and tighten the provided nut and lock washers when tightening down the shifter, holding the bolt w/an allen head wrench to keep it from crushing/spiltting the bushing underneath.

I also adjusted the shifter by adding 2 small flat washers on the inside, to keep it from hitting reverse when downshifting to 2nd. So far so good! No play in the shifter and no having to think about hitting reverse when downshifting! This picture is before I added the washers.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Wonder if my heat risers are plugged...? This is after a 30 mostly highway, with the last 5 minutes a stop for gas and drive thru the neighborhood home.
Left:

Right:

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

From Austin's build...

19-VW-74 wrote:
With the exhaust all welded up, I pulled it back off, cleaned and scuffed it, and hit it with some Rustoleum silver BBQ paint. That stuff is fantastic. It still looks new after over 1000 miles.

I took it on a highway drive in 20F weather and measured the temps of the heat risers and the manifold with an IR thermometer. It looks like the heat riser mods are working well.

Right heat riser tube:

Manifold right side:

Left heat riser tube:

Manifold left side:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Guess I'm going pretty well by comparison! I thought I read in a thread where Busdaddy or one of the other long-timers posted it should read upwards of 300*!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

This is annoying. After switching to the pea-shooters, now I've got a backfire on deceleration/downshifting. Mostly if on a downhill coast and not 100% of time.

Car drives fine, idles smooth. To try and diagnose it over the last few days, I did the following driving at each step to test:

1. - I checked the valves to make sure I didn't have a tight intake valve or other; #1 & # 3 exhaust were a *little* tight, say .0055+ instead of .006. I could get the .006 in w/a bit of force so I left them as-is.
- 3/4 intakes were a *tiny* bit loose, say .006-7. I left them as-is.
2. The tail pipes look a little lean to me so I moved up to a .60 idle jet.
Seems to backfire less, but it still happens. Maybe a 30% drop in incidence? Completely a wild guess.

Left:

Right:

3. Exhaust leak test: Turns out all four donut gaskets leak, and I *confirmed* that all 4 are tight. There are only minor carbon tracks at any of these spots, not even on all of them. The worst leak was the driver-side pea shooter donut. I put some JBWeld exhaust leak repair putty on it, followed the instructions to cure it. Still backfires.

Left was more leaky, even though the picture might make you think the right was.

A friend is telling me to swap out the distributor for one w/a different ignition, whether points or a module. I may swap the 034 w/points back in.

The main jet and accelerator pumps don't come into play w/the down shift....or does the main play a part? I have a 127 main in there now.
Thoughts...? Prayers...? Wink

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Both jets play a part.

The exhaust leaks combined with too much raw fuel is the issue. Use Copper Red Silicon at the exhaust donut gaskets. Be sure it oozes out a bit. If too much, tool it around the donut, to further the embedment.

Also, check all of the exhaust system gaskets. There should be no free oxygen within the system. If there is, it is either an exhaust leak (I would chase this one) or incomplete combustion (which would mean your engine is not functioning well). I doubt it is the later one. So, find the spot that air is being sucked into the exhaust system.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo -

I went thru and removed the four clamps, then smeared the copper RTV in every possible space on and around the donuts, tightened the clamps back on (snapped and had to replace one of bolts as I got a bit over-enthusiastic), let it cure for 24+ hours, then took it for a couple of rides. Btw, I also upped the main to 130 and returned the idle jet to 55.

On the drive after all this, things improved....but I still got a couple of backfires. Evil or Very Mad

There are NO VISIBLE exhaust leaks. The muffler and heat exchangers-to-head flanges are completely clean of any and all black sooty exhaust leak streaks. Here's what a couple of the clamps look like and the tailpipes.

You can see that there is *no* evidence of exhaust leaks here after the RTV treatment. Only place I haven't checked are the heat risers. Tailpipe still looks a bit lean but I'll reserve judgement until this weekend's Miami road trip.

Would a bad coil cause the occasional backfire? Pitted points? (I have the 043 distributor in place at the moment w/points, as I wanted to rule out the compu-fire module on my other distributor.)

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I doubt it but…….it might be.

But first, if it is still backfiring.
1.) retard the timing by 1-2 degrees.
2.) Double check the float level.

Those are the two things I would measure.

I would also wipe the distributor cap out with a paper towel, inside and out. I would double check the cables from the cap to the plugs. Be sure they are separated and not against one another. I would also check the coil to cap wire for touching the other high tension cables.

Let me know what goes on. Very interested!

Did you check the gasket at the head to exhaust. Those always get loose!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Jimbo,

Head-to-exhaust gaskets are perfect, no carbon tracks anywhere.

The backfire has gone away. Completely. I even went back to the 127 main jet, nothing. Just drove almost 1200 miles to Miami this weekend - not a single backfire.

Is it possible that there may have been a piece of something in the passages used by the main jet, perhaps causing the mix to go lean when I let off the throttle at high rpms on a downshift? In reading various threads dealing w/backfires, I read a couple of posts (specifically by Samba member Evanfrucht) suggesting that when the mix suddenly goes lean, specifically too lean to burn in the combustion chamber during the power cycle, the unburned fuel goes out the exhaust and BOOM-POP-Backfire. This is just a guess on my part based on symptoms and reading others more knowledgeable than me in the workings of a carb, among other things.

Btw, the clear blue Empi cap is holding up super! Laughing

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jimbo,

Head-to-exhaust gaskets are perfect, no carbon tracks anywhere.

The backfire has gone away. Completely. I even went back to the 127 main jet, nothing. Just drove almost 1200 miles to Miami this weekend - not a single backfire.

Is it possible that there may have been a piece of something in the passages used by the main jet, perhaps causing the mix to go lean when I let off the throttle at high rpms on a downshift? In reading various threads dealing w/backfires, I read a couple of posts (specifically by Samba member Evanfrucht) suggesting that when the mix suddenly goes lean, specifically too lean to burn in the combustion chamber during the power cycle, the unburned fuel goes out the exhaust and BOOM-POP-Backfire. This is just a guess on my part based on symptoms and reading others more knowledgeable than me in the workings of a carb, among other things.

Btw, the clear blue Empi cap is holding up super! Laughing

That is AWESOME!!!!

Could have been several things, all different that you have worked through. Those exhaust leaks were huge, so, if that silicon is still in place, I would say that was the biggest offender (raw oxygen)!

Glad you got it sorted!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

All the way to Florida for some Cincinnati Ohio Skyline Chili !

Pick me up a large 4-way wouldja? Very Happy

Great pictures
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 51

Jump to: