Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project 67
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Got some work done today but also made more work after I discovered what we all fear here.... RUST Embarassed
So there are these patches in each wheel well and I was curious what was behind them as I could tell they were welded on top of the sheet metal
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turns out they're welded over a big rust spot Mad

So I cut out the rust spots and started fabbing my own patch panels as its cheap and its in an area thats covered up anyway inside and covered with a panel on the outside.

Now im just using a 110V Lincoln welder with flux core and have very little experience but I think its turning out pretty good! Eventually I want to use the MIG hook up on it. If anyone has any tips let me know!
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Great work, built my first buggy with Flux and going to MIG was amazing. Flux makes you plan a little more and ensure that you have good joints.

Nice job!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Great work, built my first buggy with Flux and going to MIG was amazing. Flux makes you plan a little more and ensure that you have good joints.

Nice job!

Looks like he's a Denver guy so I'm thinking he probably has some decent joints. Cool

I've met people from that region who are pretty talented at... fitting their metals properly before welding.... Laughing
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
heywebonya wrote:

Nice job!

Looks like he's a Denver guy so I'm thinking he probably has some decent joints. Cool

I've met people from that region who are pretty talented at... fitting their metals properly before welding.... Laughing

Well these are the only joints im allowed to make but the military and my job test for those others joints, so i'll just stick to these Laughing
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Well my wheels and tires arrived and I got those mounted, looks like ill be cutting my fenders Laughing there is a slight hill on the left front tire making it look weird but I couldn't help post a picture Twisted Evil

My shocks got here as well and I put those on real quick and noticed a problem instantly....

It's stock thing beams and arms but cut and turned, this is sitting on the ground but obviously I cant run them like this Confused any ideas what to do?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:

My shocks got here as well and I put those on real quick and noticed a problem instantly....

It's stock thing beams and arms but cut and turned, this is sitting on the ground but obviously I cant run them like this Confused any ideas what to do?

Is it just one side rubbing ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my Thing trailing arms when I was doing my hook and rod stop project.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the trailing arm is bent. I haven't even installed my shocks yet. Maybe I should do that next.Anxious

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:

Is it just one side rubbing ?

Is the car fully loaded? Once the suspension cycles up in its travel you should gain some clearance....
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:

For the Future, People please don't cut and turn THING Beams, Don't put adusters in. It is totally unnecessary on Thing's. They are Not the same as Type 1 Ball joint beams which we Do cut and turn. I see this mistake happening all the time so I am speaking up. When the lower arm shock mount is modified by extending it toward the rear in the case of using long towers and modified ball joints the shocks will clear the arm. There is no real need to get more than a 3" lift in the front on a stock Thing beam and you can use a 900x15 off road tire to get a little more. If you run your arms at near full droop with the weight of the car on them then you are sacrificing a smooth ride among other things. You need space for full compression and full droop with the hard stops preventing over extension and you should not be almost running on hard stops.
Are they Bilsteins? Bilsteins usually clear but make sure you are using hard stops to limit the droop before the arm touches, but you will loose some travel.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Forgot to clarify that it is this way on both arms in the same spot so I don't think the arms are bent. There isn't any weight in the front as the gas tank is empty and the front end isn't mounted yet. I bought the beam off craigslist already cut and turned and didn't think that would be an issue as I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Am I better off getting a separate beam and running that? I cant imagine that different shocks would work with it as the Bilsteins aren't very wide. I have beetle torsions in the beam so they aren't as stiff as the Thing ones, but even with hook and rod stops I don't want it to ride on the stop the whole time as oldschool5er said the ride would suck.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:
Forgot to clarify that it is this way on both arms in the same spot so I don't think the arms are bent. There isn't any weight in the front as the gas tank is empty and the front end isn't mounted yet. I bought the beam off craigslist already cut and turned and didn't think that would be an issue as I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Am I better off getting a separate beam and running that? I cant imagine that different shocks would work with it as the Bilsteins aren't very wide. I have beetle torsions in the beam so they aren't as stiff as the Thing ones, but even with hook and rod stops I don't want it to ride on the stop the whole time as oldschool5er said the ride would suck.

If they cut and turned the beam too much then you might even be pretensioned against any stop for droop you weld in, especially since you need to control droop before the arm touches the shock. (deleted looks like from your pics Bilstein went external bump stops) I would remove the bumper and just use external hard stops. Without hard droop stops you will almost always see the paint scraped off the shock housing. I have experianced the stem top rubber bushings and the shock rod flexing a little that might keep the shock can from getting damaged other than paint scraped off but in no way should you run it like that. You only need a small clearance for the arm under 1/4". If you find they turned it too much, you can just put in a bug beam and use everything else Thing including arms. If you run this and want to run the Thing beam supports you will have to weld in the lower shock tower plate. The bug shock towers can have a diagonal plate put in to brace them since the Thing are plated in. Or you can run tubing between them. Going bug might be easier than finding a good Thing beam and cheaper too.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

I'd install an uncut stock beam for sure.
Should put you a lot closer to level as well and take a lot of load off of the rear axle components.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Well sh*t and here I was thinking I was done with the major front end stuff Confused

What about just having someone undo the turn on this beam? I just really dont want to have to buy another beam
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:
Well sh*t and here I was thinking I was done with the major front end stuff Confused

What about just having someone undo the turn on this beam? I just really dont want to have to buy another beam

Yes you could do that, I wasn't thinking Lol. I included this pic just because it shows where the stance would be with a stock unturned Thing and it riding off of full droop. the arms are not at a sharp angle. This is why you don't need cut and turn. I have up and down travel. The setup is not stock of course but the ride height is and it is not quite a 900x15 tire.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Turn the shock over. Put the cylinders at the top instead of at the bottom. Then check for clearance!

If adjusters cause the arm angle to create contact of the shock to the arm, then going over uneven ground will do the same without adjusters. Whether there are adjusters or not, the wheel travel will still be exactly the same. The ball joints set that travel. Adjusters may affect the static ride height. Not the travel or the shock body clearance.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Turn the shock over. Put the cylinders at the top instead of at the bottom. Then check for clearance!

If adjusters cause the arm angle to create contact of the shock to the arm, then going over uneven ground will do the same without adjusters. Whether there are adjusters or not, the wheel travel will still be exactly the same. The ball joints set that travel. Adjusters may affect the static ride height. Not the travel or the shock body clearance.

How is he going to do that? the shocks are stem tops with bushing bottom mounts.

Adjusters are not the problem in causing the arm to touch the shock you are right as the stock Thing travel will cause it when unloading which is why hard stops should be put in.

The Thing beam does not need adjusters as there is enough lift at the spindle, But he already has them and he has no idea how much they were rotated by the guy that welded them in. If he keeps them and they can not be adjusted down to stock position because they were rotated too far he is better off fixing it back to stock twist so he can get correct droop.

As a side note you will find some failure on adjusters if it is researched They are used so much on everything, but good quality ones have to be put in. There are incidences of even Sway A Way failing and causing a collapse. I use them just like everybody else on Link and some T1 ball joint front ends. but if you don't have to why do it?

tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

That is such a cool car. What are you running in the rear for suspension?

oldschool5er wrote:
Stauffenberg wrote:

Yes you could do that, I wasn't thinking Lol. I included this pic just because it shows where the stance would be with a stock unturned Thing and it riding off of full droop. the arms are not at a sharp angle. This is why you don't need cut and turn. I have up and down travel. The setup is not stock of course but the ride height is and it is not quite a 900x15 tire.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
That is such a cool car. What are you running in the rear for suspension?

Thanks for the complement. It was initially built by me in 76 with a swingaxle in it, but over all this time it has gone through several changes. It is being put back to the way it was in 83 so I am keeping it like that for my own historical aspect so I don't want anybody to think it is a Modern setup lol, this is oldschool vintage. It is IRS but using an early 5/1600 format. The car is in a early class 5 mode in the front because of the dual front shocks but it can have a single Fox shock also with a stop adjustment.

Rear:
Dual 2.0 Fox reservoir shocks Heim ends.
Plated in stock Thing arms which have been flipped.
Thing stub axles and Trans flanges.
Polished Type 4 Cv's using sway a way axles and notched adjuster plates.
28mm Sway A Way short torsion bars with Sway A way Bushings.
Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires on Centerline.
El Cheapo Disk brakes.

Trans is late 74 T1 with Crown super Diff W/10 tooth side gears, 4.37 ring and pinion, close ratio 3rd and 4th, everything shotpeened. Crown strap kit with rubber nose mount and solid rear mount.

Engine is a later edition, 2332cc with ARPM NOS case, Dual webers with airboxes going to oldschool air log that it originally had on it.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

I don’t have adjusters they just cut the tube and rotated that. On Monday I’ll call my local VW shop and see if they’ll cut and turn it back.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:
I don’t have adjusters they just cut the tube and rotated that. On Monday I’ll call my local VW shop and see if they’ll cut and turn it back.

Lol yeah I shoulda paid more attention to your pic. I had been discussing adjusters on another site and my brain just wouldn't let go lol. Sorry. If they do the job see if they can determine how much it had been turned just out of curiosity. I am guessing 1/2" or more.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: