Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

repairing a dash pad
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: repairing a dash pad Reply with quote

I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix my aftermarket dash pad. I just bought it two months ago from Bill and Steve's and all of the screw holes on the pad have been torn out. After looking at type 3's at the classic, I noticed that everyone that used these POS dashes screwed them in on the windshield side too... I'll do that after I pull my windshield. BTW, what's the best way to go about pulling a cracked windshield??

What I'm thinking of doing is trying to make some little clips out of metal and using epoxy (carefully..) to glue the plastic back together and glue the metal piece back on.. Think this will work?

On an unrelated note, through another forum for sheet metal working I heard of this product called "the Must for Rust". This stuff is incredible! It works kind of like Picklex-20 in that it breaks rust down in like 15 minutes and you can just scrub the rust off. A good sized spray bottle of it is $7 at Home Depot. I'm buying stock in this company...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a windshield replace "How-To" on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/glass_howto.html

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: repairing a dash pad Reply with quote

ddare wrote:
...On an unrelated note, through another forum for sheet metal working I heard of this product called "the Must for Rust". This stuff is incredible! It works kind of like Picklex-20 in that it breaks rust down in like 15 minutes and you can just scrub the rust off. A good sized spray bottle of it is $7 at Home Depot. I'm buying stock in this company...

What kind of crack are you smoking? I have a bottle of that stuff. It affects rust almost as much as clean water. You spray it on, it smells like butt, after a while if you scrub hard enough some rust comes off. I've also got some stuff called Evapo Rust. Now that stuff really works.

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you say Evapo Rust is even better then that stuff, then I'll give it a shot. All I know is that it has made short order of the rust in my cargo area. It doesn't penetrate especially well, but it gets rid of all the rust inside the little divets and all of the surface rust in no time at all.
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evapo Rust is amazing on parts you can dip. It's also completely harmless to anything besides rust. You can use it on big parts by soaking a rag and laying it on the spot for about 30 min. It's a little pricey, but you can reuse it until it turns black.

For small parts I just throw them in a bucket overnight. The next morning I rinse them off then redip them just for a second for rust protection. It's the first rust dissolver I've found besides Naval Jelly that actually works. And it's a lot easier.

"...it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it."
Help Improve TheSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you're curious, here's an example of Evapo Rust results. These heater flaps were soaked overnight then I rinsed them off and wiped them with my fingertips. I'm just posting the "after" pic since I didn't think to take a "before" pic, but we all know what they looked like before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know this is off-topic, and I sound like and info-mercial for the stuff, but it really works.
Tony

Help Improve TheSamba
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how about a link to this "magic" juice? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get lucky and find it at one of the big national part stores. Or you can just enter "evapo rust" on froogle.com. Nebraska Hotrod was running an internet special - $16 +ship for a gallon. A few places also carry bigger quantities if you do a lot of big stuff.

Tony

Help Improve TheSamba
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy on ebay selling the stuff too.
SquareTone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddare wrote:
There's a guy on ebay selling the stuff too.

Looks like the same place, but the shipping is twice as much on his eBay add. Confused

Help Improve TheSamba
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: