Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

production question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
discoloredcurrency
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: production question Reply with quote

i was looking at the production #'s for the type 3 vs the ghia and there were nearly as many t3's made in one year than ghias total! what makes this hard for me is i've seen tons of ghias here in louisiana. dang near as many as i've seen beetles. i've seen as many ghias as i've seen buses and way more of both than i've seen type 3s! I've even seen as many thing's running around as type 3s. how come buses, ghias, and things have fewer production #'s yet they are everywhere here and i can't hardly find any type 3's. everettb was saying that jeffrey's type3 was to be the first registered in the registry from la. i know of 6 or 7 in my area and only 2 of those are on the road! the rest are in a vw junk yard!
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason for the Type 3's being so few is that they were not "special" or "cute" like the KG or Bug, they were more like car-like (although better) and so the people who bought them did not consider them special and just used them and them traded or discarded them.

There are probably quite a few (relatively speaking) Type 3's still around (with many resting in wrecking yards or out behind the barn), it is just a question of finding them. We still don't have any cars listed in the Type 3 Registry from the state of Louisiana.

Another thing that make it hard for the Type 3's to continue to live is the fact that they have to relay on "donor" cars in many cases, since there are not that many replacement parts available for them.

Dennis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
discoloredcurrency
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true. i guess since they aren't "cute" companies like midamerica motorworks don't make replacement fenders and such. but you would think with there being more type 3's out there than ghia that's there would be more parts. i guess not.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in their life, there aren't more T-3's around, because they weren't babied when they were younger.
Even when they were new, they were run hard, and put away wet. Rural mail carriers, pizza delivery, pharmacy delivery, etc.
Bring home 12 bags of pre-mix concrete in the back, and 8 sheets of plywood on the roof rack. Lets see you do that with a T-14. Rolling Eyes

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: