Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug engine in a Typ 3?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macedonia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Bug engine in a Typ 3? Reply with quote

Can it be installed? I am new in Typ 3s (well into Bugs), so I am asking really basic questions. I know that a typ 3 has a pancake engine, but can a Bug engine somehow be rearranged to fit in side a Typ 3. I am planning to buy a notchback or a fastback, so can you explain to me which one is better...
Also I very interested, what should I look for when I am buying a Typ 3...? What are its week spots? What are the parts that can't be used from a Bug,and so on ...
Thank you guys
Appreciate...
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out the FAQ, as most of these questions have answers that are in it.

As for helping you decide between fastback and notchback, I'd go with the notchback Smile Probably because it's a little more rare in the US... fastbacks are nice as well. I just don't like the shape of the rear end so much as the notchbacks.

I think the biggest deal in not being able to use a type 1 engine in a type 3 is the location of the oil dipstick tube. Type 3's have it located in the rear of the engine, so when you open your rear hatch, it's right there above the bumper. You see type 3's with type 1 engine cases and they have the dipstick more centrally located on the engine. Thats my *basic* understanding of it...

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q. Can I put a Type 1 (upright) motor in my Type 3?
A. Yes, it fits as the Type 1 and Type 3 motors are basically the same. However, your cooling will be seriously affected. The Type 1 engine is designed for a sealed engine compartment while the Type 3 is not. For best results and long engine life, you would have to completely seal off the engine compartment with custom tin, as well as provide a way for fresh air to enter. That work, combined with the increased noise and loss of the rear trunk area, make using a Type 1 engine a poor idea.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the fastback ddare look around you at every show the notchbacks out number fastbacks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TYpe 3 was an overall improvement from the Type 1. It was meant by VW as a means of the Type 1 drivers to "graduate" to a more upscale vehicle. Most items are primarily Type 3 only, such as the obvious sheet metal, glass, seats, gauges, etc. Very few mechanicals cross over. Type 3 rear brakes bolt right up to the Type 1 rear, and are coveted by performance oriented Type 1 people, because the Type 3 rear brakes are larger.

Also note that there is ZERO advantage to installing a Type 1 upright engine into a Type 3. In fact, it's noisier and causes a loss of storage space, not to mention the problems with the loss of cooling, because the engine is more exposed.

Do your homework and ask questions before doing something you will regret. You might also want to check out http://www.type3.org for more technical questions. The Samba Type 3 people are a very knowledgeable group.
Macedonia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I am from Macedonia Smile not from the USA...and Typ 3's are very very rare here...Bugs there are everywhere. Macedonia was part of Yugoslavia where from 1973-1978 Bugs were produced (I don't know if you knew about this) in Sarajevo - Bosnia and Herzegovina, then continued with Golf (Rabbit) untill 1991...when the war stared and 2 years ago VW rebuilt the factory and now is producing the VW golf V generation, SO that is why we are full with VW bugs here, too bad most of them in bad shape. They (if you see one) all have the J sign like 1200J or 1300J or 1303J (J stands for Jugoslavia, Jugoslawien or somethin).
Anyway. I found a Typ 3, I can't see it from where I saw it (It is in a yard) if it is a notchback or a fastback ( the front end was only visible and I could only see that is not a squareback). All I saw was that it had bullet indicators, so it's the older version. Today I am going to take a look. I found out that it has a defect, don't know what. I was worried about the engine, so that is why I asked if a Bug engine could fit in there (they are very easy to find and quite cheap...100$ for a repaired one.
I wish I had the digital camera to take some pictures and post it ...but hey...it'll be done.
Thanks guys.

P.S. I saw the FAQ post after I wrote this ...Smile) so sorry, but I think this turned out quite nice. And thanx for the links.

a Jugoslav model Bug for sale...from www.thegoldenbug.com
http://www.thegoldenbug.com/tgb/tgb.php?page=0&language=english
Zarana-X
Samba Dreadnok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longblocks are the same except for the dipstick location, and the engine mounts, if it is a 68 or later with IRS. If the cases have an oval blockoff plate to the right of the oil pump, and 3 threaded bosses in a upside down triangular pattern around the oil pump, it is a universal case and you can use it no problem in a Type 3, If you install all of the T3 components on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: