Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need new heads and cylinders
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74supernewb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

I have a 74 super with a 1600 that needs new heads. I am looking at the 1700cc bolt on kit from Topline and was wondering if anyone has used this kit, and if it is any good or if I should go a different way. Thanks for any advise that can be given. Here's the link to the kit.

http://toplineparts.com/vw-engine/1700cc-bolt-on-engine-kit-no-machine-work-required-10-1700.html
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

TopLine has always seemed to know their business. I find this kit interesting,

Notice that this is a top-end rebuild kit, no bearings. Others on this board have used AA brand pistons and cylinders too.

I'll be tearing down an original 1600cc engine in a few months, may consider this kit as getting my cylinder heads rebuilt will cost close to what new heads would cost.
http://toplineparts.com/vw-engine/1700cc-bolt-on-engine-kit-no-machine-work-required-10-1700.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

Looks attractive. Max displacement with minimal work. Hard to tell, are those head stock valve size? The cherry on top would be some big valve heads to go with the larger bore.

-Nick-
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

74supernewb wrote:
I have a 74 super with a 1600 that needs new heads. I am looking at the 1700cc bolt on kit from Topline and was wondering if anyone has used this kit, and if it is any good or if I should go a different way. Thanks for any advise that can be given. Here's the link to the kit.

Not to worry you but before freshining up the top end be absolutely certain the bottom end is in great shape. I've seen this done before where within a short while problems develop. Do you know the total miles on this engine? How's the end play?
74supernewb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

There's no end play and I think around 50,000 miles.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

Always change rod bearings when going with new top end.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

Idea Use a HD screwdriver to lift up from the bottom of the flywheel for any movement. If it moves then you are due for Main bearings and a possible align bore job.

If okay then rebuilt rods and RB plus the top end should work okay.

I did a lot of those years back when in business.

Bound to be different points of view which is normal considering.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need new heads and cylinders Reply with quote

If I was going to do it I'd likely loose the shims they send with the kit, and set the compression a bit higher than stock, around 8-8.5:1 max.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: