Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WooooHooooo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

could also turn the empty case into a dry sump tank or storage aera/tool box/secure$$$ safe. there are not many people I would want for a neighbor but.....mr snu snu needs to move to fl....soon!!!
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Seriously considered dry sumping the thing with the possibility of empty case being the sump tank.
But did not go that way.

That hole through the ex-axle Center is a tube. I am gonna run a header pipe through the empty case.
That should confuse some folks....lol

Not to worried about the weight of the empty case. It is plenty light as is. I do have other parts that are way too heavy that could benefit from a diet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Love it!

Been watching this on the STF..

My race-car hole-drilling lighten-ing hand just wants to drill so many holes in that empty trans case motor-spacer dealie-O I just can't tell ya!

It looks nice as a complete piece like that, don't get me wrong,
But the fact that about half of it could be turned into chips just won't leave me alone! Laughing

Yeah I dont post much at stf or here either.
Stf I get a little feed back on the megasquirt.
Here I get a little on the mechanical of the engine.
Neither seem much interested in the motorcycle parts.

I post a lot on TCU and Trike talk forums.
Usually get a lot of talk/chat going on there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

it's been 4 years since Ive been on mt dirt bike....I miss it....I got a new dg pipe for it....pure shit.so it sits till I get around to fixing it.2 years since riding my 4 wheeler...possiably more. dosent seem to be a lot of time for fun any more. i do have some parts for it too but....no room in the big shop thats got ac. that shop needs emptying out of all v8 related items including a unfinished new car.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Just blew by the exit Mark.
Heading down I10 taking kids to Disney.

The oil plan....
30mm pump, full hoover, rocker squirters, thin synthetic oil, pump oringed into case, Steel filler cover o-ringed face, hose out, cooler, no thermostat, dry sump regulator, bypass back into universal case hole, pressure hose back in to normal oil galley boss.

This is a cb super case I have been running since around 1981.
It is a single relief, big galley. I have never run a dog house cooler so then I have never had the balance problems of pressure vs flow to cooler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

have plenty of change ready for all the fricken tolls every 1/4 mile if you go the toll road. have fun!!! Ill go some day If Im alive then.or the one next to it. I did do some drag racing at orlando speed world a few years ago...think we won too.(quick 8 race)low qualifier too...as usual. Wink (non vw, nhra div 2 points meat)
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

With all the time and brains in this thing I am thinking Retired Engineer Fabricator. What I am interested in is seeing more on the added upper head fins. I am diggin those. I had begun work on adding 2 head fins to CE heads a while back but want to get some "before" temp numbers so I just installed them as-is. Never thought of putting them whee you did though. Also where did you get the header radiators? Home made? Great work so far!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Close.
Not retired.
Engineer with a machinist background.
Part owner of a custom industrial machinery company.
Do a lot of job shop work to pay the bills.

The head fins are just bolted on.
Aluminum bolts with spacers sandwiched between the fins.
They should do something but not like if they were welded into the head at the root.

The flange fins seem to work. I have had those on it for a few years before the rebuild.
They are one off made by me.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

O...
And the heads are mofoco 050's
I like them for the extra find area.

I run this thing bare naked.
Full stripper.....jugs in the wind.

Low dynamic cr (big cam) tall gears, extra finnage.
Cooling is ground speed dependant instead of fan speed dependant.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

I knew it. I was sold once I saw you making your own main shaft with splines! It's not every day you see back yard splines. Great work though and would love to have a set of fins and flange radiators. It's pretty awesome you are running fan-less like a Harley. Roy's heads (Mofoco) must be all that. I have always wanted to do a build with them.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Well make you some then....tis what I did.

I reworked the heads pretty heavily.
Chamber and step to cr was all good for the 2110.
Did not fit my needs with the 2387.
If you get a set then go ahead and get the no step option so they are more easily sized to your engine.

But yes I like Roy's heads. The ss valves seemed super cheap and wore quick. My intake valves and guides wore real quick. The exhaust did not. Real odd, seems backwards. Roy has been active in helping me fix them back up even though they would be far from warranty work.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

my mofoco,s have well over 1100000 miles on them with the stock guides,somethen was off or the valves were junk as you say and killed them.possiably geo was off too. I changed valves after about 40000 miles when I uped the cc to 2028 wedge ported them&went with bigger valves too.
Ive got to add a pile of fins to my 910 heads for my 2332 and 2393 motors,I was looking at doing it like you did or bolting some fined extrusions to them. possiably welding some fin extrusions to the ex ports too.I will also cool them from both sides top&bottom. wish i had some aluminum 94 cylinders for them, still thinken on that.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Yes. It was real odd.
The geometry was not perfect when I swapped the heads to 050.
But close enough I thought.
The whole thing originally had some 041 cb heads something like an oval port panchito from the early 80's.
I ran and ran those heads. Would not have changed, but, I broke a final on one. I could fix it but it would show. But they were not bad worn at all. Eagle 2246 cam, big single springs, 1.25 rockers.
Got a new set of big single springs and put it together.
The rocker pads must be a bit different but it was within adjustment range.
Maybe the new 050 42mm intake valves were to heavy compared to the old 40mm and the spring was not enough.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

And yes.....
I am chatting vw while waiting in line with kids at Disney.
I have/run/admin a Facebook group for the odd vw front engine trikes.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

weight has nothing to do with it. rough serface,nicks on stem can. Ive seen valves eat right through a cast iron head over 1/2" due to rough stems. that some moron put in a shaker without stem protectors. a small nick can kill a bronze guide eazely.as can geo. 1.1 arms are worse and more need to get the geo right/closer.(I dont recall what arms you have just saying) just what killed yours ..I havent a clue. forensics is the only real way to tell. there is always a reason for everything, no black majick to any of it.not even my spellen. have fun on them rides. a local machine shop hear makes the seats belts for some of those high intensity rides there at dizney, they do a lot of aerospace&millspec stuff and dizney needed some good belts as they were having some failures Shocked kinda gives you that warm fuzzy fealing instead of that warn frazzeled feal before it snaps...... Shocked splatt Rolling Eyes
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

I have changed so much of it this time around that none of that matters anymore.
I have a whole new set up to make now.

I have my eyeball on some real manley valves with the slick chrome stems.
Done with the port and chamber work.
Have the guides. New 1.4 rockers, retainers, clips.and dual springs.

Gotta put the intake guides in and cut for dual springs, clean up the seats. Then do all the ceramic coating.

I am sure my push rods will be wrong this time around.

Push rod geometry has not been mocked up.
I will do that at assembly time.
Engine has to be built in the frame.
Noting on the outside of case, just the bottom end built. No studs and turned with pulley end rods in downstroke. Stuck in the frame upside-down and backwards then rolled over pulley end between frame tubes to right side up and plugged into drive extension.

Then build the rest.

Sorta like a ship in a bottle but with half of it sticking out the neck.

Man what I won't do to look cool.
If i had settled on a few inches larger it would have been easy to put together.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Nice looking project! It reminds me of the time I had a friend commission me to build a 4 carb 140hp Corvair motor for his trike project. Needless to say he didn't want stock HP so I 'warmed' it up somewhat - higher compression - a 'bit' more cam - and had a Corvair guru rework the 4 Rochester 1 barrel carbs, making them all work in unison instead of 2+2 like many 4 barrel carbs that have vacuum operated secondaries.

When I saw what he was using for the rest of the drive train I was less than enthused. He was using the original 4 speed from the 66 parts car - the motor sat directly under the driver/passenger and he had already installed a set of bus (VW) reduction gears. I tried to purseuade him to buy a Crown reverse camshaft so he could use straight axles and dump the reduction gears. No way he wanted to 'unalter' what was already installed. OK said I - no warranty. Still want it built? Yes he says.

Long story short he took a trip to the hydroplane races in the Tri-Cities area of Washington state - about 180 miles each way. He dropped a valve half way home - just as I predicted - way too many rpms. RPM's at 70mph was ~4200rpms - very small tach and not easy to read! WAY too high and I let him know - "you should have used the 1:1 axle ratio gear set Mike". I fixed the dropped valve and Mike got a 1:1 gearset - yes they do make them - aftermarket. That dropped his rpms at 70 to 3400 - much better! And it still had more power than could be used! A 110hp motor might have sufficed. This was back in the late 70's. Mike passed on in the late 90's - motorcycle accident.

Fast forward to 2001 and a fellow worker at Boeing comes up to me with a huge grin on his face and picture of his 'new' project. There it was - Mike's creation - looking rather sad and unkempt and still purple just as Mike had it painted. Same motor/trans combo too. I was surprised that it hadn't been flattened in a wreck. Earl was blown away that I had built the motor. It still ran - no smoke - just needed some clean oil and tune up parts.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

I was told the expensive valves cb has are manley.Ive used probably a few thousand manley valves, most extreame duty &severe duty & all the rest they make too.good valves. moroso used to have valves(might still I dont know) they were made in europe somewhere,I ferget. but the stems were hardchromed over a rough serface, very inconsistant I didnt like them only used a few sets.ferria had too much varation in thier valves. manley was always what you expected and never an issue. as for my valves in my 2028...the cheep ones cb sells and over 75000 miles on them.they seem to be good .as with any valves the keepers need to be gaped. and always check&remove any burrs from stems.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Could the valve wear issue have anything to do with the head design by VW to start with?

While motors hanging out in the breeze are designed to do so,
The VW was designed to have a fan blowing hardest right in the middle of the head where the intakes are..

Maybe duct more cooling air to the center of the head?

Still,
With aftermarket parts, anything is possible...

What’s That Noise?!?
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WooooHooooo Reply with quote

Entirely possible.
Even though average temperature seems good the distribution of the heat could be all wrong.
Of course atomizing fuel is a cold process and dramatically cools the intake tract.
I sometimes wish for more data being the engineer type.
But it is a chopper like thing with no instruments at all.
I have ridden around with a temperature gun.
Maybe the wind messes up the readings.
But it is hard to get a number over 150f except directly on the header at flange.
But all this is below 45 to 50 mph testing.
I am unwilling to divide my attention at highway speed.
But I can physically put my bare hand
on the head and leave it there for a few seconds while driving at 80mph plus and not get burned.
I think it may be from the wild temperature ups and downs I can have.
Just like a harley the rearward cyls have to be jetted a little fatter.
I have 195f switch on the oil cooler fan. It has turned on twice in the past 10 yrs.

Is my temperature ok?
Hellifiknow. No instruments. All seat of your pants.
Has been this way so long now that it is a registered antique.
Lots of good times. But I never go anywhere. Just a hot rod run about toy. My longest straight highway runs have only been an hour or so. Did make that hour run in nearly half the time before. Ran with a group of crotch rockets at well over 100mph. Could not tell any difference in the engine temperature. I was a bit frazzled though, I am getting to old ......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: