Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

I agree with all the CB parts and MSD. I have all the same parts. The alternator is nice. Looks like a Bosch AL82. Also you can measure the size of the header. You can also look at how close the cylinders are to the head studs at the case to see the relative outside diameter of the cylinder. It may give some clue to what you have. It also looks like you have an aftermarket 36 HP fan shroud. Pictures under the valve cover like mentioned would be nice.
I am in the same boat. Bought and Oval, was told it had a 2.0+ but have no idea really what it is.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
Yup, that is a gen 1 CB f.i. Never cared much for those, as there - were - .... rough. But maybe they actually got that one dialed in well. The nice thing is, that if it comes to that the ECU is easlily replacable with a new and more modern unit. - Good find.

Scott, when did you work at CB ? Have we met?

T

From about 89 thru 02ish, did alot with the "compitition" fuel injection. In those days there wern't many aftermarket ecu's on the market, most all the systems used a factory ecu at that point. The storm ecu we figured out how to program, it is a sealed unit, and it fit our kit well. It is out dated by todays standard but is very durable. I still have one on my sand car, it runs just as good as the gen 3 version on my thing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So that was you!!!! Wink Yes, we met briefly inŽ97 I think, maybe Ž98. IŽll have to check my "diaries"
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

Very Happy

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
pdmracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Reply with quote

My seller found some info, said it was the Bug Shack in Las Vegas not bug house that built engine and it has 042 heads & The MSD & FI info as discovered here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: