Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Trying to find documentation or any information on motors like this one. I have had this motor since 1999 and have been told that a few of these motors were sent to dealerships. I have never seen another one. Closest thing I have seen is the CT and CZ cases in 72 and up 1600 kombis. Information came second hand from traveling VWofA mechanic. The case is full flowed similar to a type 4 case. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

That is right nifty!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Hmmmm....., I've got an AE in my bus but it doesn't have that, want to trade?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Drool Popcorn

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

rbm2, I can add some evidence, though I never saw an actual engine. About 20 yrs ago an older German VW friend who retired from VWoA's HQ in Englewood Cliffs NJ gave me a set of such hydraulic lifters. He told me that VWoA had experimented with them for the Type 1 engine but the tests never went to production. Unfortunately I don't remember the reason for stopping the test, though I do remember he told me the lifters worked well. Possibly difficult to justify the additional cost of the lifters (and the full-flow system) on an engine which was supposed to stay inexpensive. The lifter set was made by the German Febi/Bilstein company.

My friend was in the Service/Equipment Test department for at least 15 years. When VWoA relocated to Troy MI around 1983 he left and found employment with another German auto manufacturer in northern NJ. He is actually depicted in the blue Bentley manual a few times, in the Brakes section, changing a tire on a manual machine. Black hair and overcoat.

He also told me about the time in the early '70's when VWoA ordered a full set of hi-perf parts from EMPI, and he built up a type 1 engine with the parts! After the test/evaluation, he was told to tear down the engine, and sold the parts. Unfortunately he passed a few years ago.
rbm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Rome,
Thank you for sharing the information from your friend. Hopefully there is more out there.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

I used to have a dealer drawing saved somewhere. Can't find it. I stumbled across a post here about this same engine. Yeah, it's a Brazilian Bus engine. The engine compartment looked like a late Bus, and the engine tins were made differently to cover up that big opening.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

i thought it might be a 93 and newer mexican motor. they came with hydros and a spin on filter. i think they used type 4 lifters. and fuel injection. but seems to be a 72 motor? brazilian like the other guy said.?
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Ive seen them in aircraft usage.I wondered if they were made for that.but the briazilla bus soulds like possiably a good place to start. wonder why it never made it to all engines & world. kinda a no brainer...... Confused like me
rbm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Thank you bugguy1967 I appreciate the information but i believe the AE's were only made in Germany for the US Market. At one time I though that maybe someone used half of a case from a Mexican motor and half of another but both case pieces match. I have never seen a Brazilian case in person with full flow but have seen a Mexican one that was full flow. That particular motor had push rod tubes similar to a type 4 and could be changed without taking off the head but my motor has tubes like a standard type 1 motor.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive seen them in aircraft usage.I wondered if they were made for that.but the briazilla bus soulds like possiably a good place to start. wonder why it never made it to all engines & world. kinda a no brainer...... Confused like me

They already knew the cost, going hydro in the TIV,
it must of been the turn to water-cooled engineering, FWD Rabbit platform that left this stuff "stillborn".
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

The only problem will be getting anything other than a stock cam for it.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Why? There are performance cams made for hydraulic lifters.

Max
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

And there are performance cams not made for hydrauilc lifters that work beautifully with them anyway.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:

Max

Who makes them, I've looked around and haven't found any and the company that made the one I have has no idea what it's specs are anymore.

Boolean wrote:
And there are performance cams not made for hydrauilc lifters that work beautifully with them anyway.

Can you elaborate on this?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

cb&mofoco have them as does some others.I wouldent hesitate using just about any grind I wanted to use Shocked
that pic also shows a oil pressure adjuster in the relief plug.I wonder if it's oe or not and if it's a single relief case or duel? it would be real nice if the autolina guys would see this and....add a few ounces to the new cases&3 more maching ops..... Cool although it might be in the way of somethen or just plane look weird so better not do it.I would hate to see a bunch of weird looking bubble top aluminum stroker cases with 1/2" thicker lifter bosses on clearance for $132.53, they wood never sell Rolling Eyes
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I would hate to see a bunch of weird looking bubble top aluminum stroker cases with 1/2" thicker lifter bosses on clearance for $132.53, they wood never sell Rolling Eyes
Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

Who makes them, I've looked around and haven't found any and the company that made the one I have has no idea what it's specs are anymore.

I'm using an EXV264HYD on 106º lobe centers from Steve Long Racing (SLR). My friend Steve Hollingsworth referred me to them.

Max
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
ps2375 wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Max

I'm using an EXV264HYD on 106º lobe centers from Steve Long Racing (SLR). My friend Steve Hollingsworth referred me to them.

Max

After a short talk with Steve, I know what I'll be doing this winter when the car is off the road and the motor is pulled! Thanks for the tip! Applause
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototype full flow hydraulic lifter motors from VW Reply with quote

Cool

Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: