Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear gas heater.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

Has anyone mounted a Stewart Warner gas heater in the engine compartment? I have one for a 67 Beetle that mounts up front but have wondered if it would work mounted where the battery is now on the 68 and routed to the factory heater channel
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

I recall coming across photos related to your question here from time to time; a search may turn some up. IMHO mounting a gas heater with the exhaust downwind is not a bad idea, and the roominess of the Ghia engine compartment is a real plus. Ducting the air inlet and/or hot air return can be an issue for some folks. My experiences are limited to installing Eberspächer gas heaters in the engine compartment of a '72 bus and in the passenger compartment of a '71 Karmann Ghia cabriolet (first photo in my gallery), so I may be able to answer some of your questions. On the other hand, have you considered following the trail blazed by Bluedot with an electric heater? How many BTUs of heat do you need down there in peach country? Wink
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

foamermetal wrote:
Has anyone mounted a Stewart Warner gas heater in the engine compartment? I have one for a 67 Beetle that mounts up front but have wondered if it would work mounted where the battery is now on the 68 and routed to the factory heater channel

Sounds interesting ducting it to the heater channels.
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

Gas heaters were fitted in the engine bay in period, have some literature on it some where..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

crocteau I like your Photo and the fact that it's a type IV. I was thinking sometime in the future building an upright cooled 2.0, thus the heater would be in place of the heat exchangers on either type engine. I really just like thinking outside the box in the placement of the heater. I do sheetmetal work for a living so thats not an issue. Courious as to where to pick up fresh air through the intake boot. I'll search some split bus heater pics.
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

Eberspacher fuel line. Is it run from the tank by itself or a tee?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

foamermetal wrote:
Eberspacher fuel line. Is it run from the tank by itself or a tee?

It is a tee off of the fuel line.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

foamermetal wrote:
crocteau... Courious as to where to pick up fresh air through the intake boot... Eberspacher fuel line. Is it run from the tank by itself or a tee?
hi foamermetal, in my bus I ran fuel from a tee; in the Ghia the stock fuel line only supplies the heater, while a separate line supplies fuel for the carbs at low PSI. Since the Espar heater is in the passenger compartment of my Ghia, it pulls cabin air into its intake directly, while the heated air is channeled downward to a "Y" mounted above the transaxle and then through flexible ducts to the heater channels.

Recirculating the air heats it up faster, as does insulating the hot air delivery tubes, but it may not be necessary depending on your typical ambient winter temperatures. After all, the Ghia's heater channels have no insulation and the stock heat is still keeping folks' feet warm somewhere.

Fresh air for combustion and exhaust enter and exit from the bottom of the Espar. I don't know, but it's possible your Stewart Warner heater has similarly configured connections. You may be able to discern the Espar connections in this photo just to the left of the clutch cable: the silver tube is exhaust to the rear apron, the black tube is fresh air for combustion. I hope that gives you some useful ideas.

As an aside, the gentleman who supplied me with this Espar heater has installed the diesel burning version in the cabs/sleepers of hundreds of trucks. If your combustion chamber isn't cracked and you don't have fuel leaks, then you shouldn't have to be concerned about CO asphyxiation or roasting in a fireball. Wink
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

Great info. I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks for the input.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

As I recall there were two types of the Eberspecher heaters made for AC VWs. I think the earlier models required a separate fuel line from the tank. The later models did not. This may have had something to do with the fuel pump used as I think the earlier models are attached to the heater while the later model has a pump at the tee below the tank. The one I have in my Ghia is mounted in the luggage compartment with a tee off of the fuel line coming out of the tank. The fuel pump at the tee supplies fuel.

Air is drawn in from the passenger compartment just above the driver's right knee. Heat comes out a duct above the driver's left knee. You would not be able to attach this set up to the heater channels. I think this was the only configuration available in the later models - probably because of the battery location on those models.

My heater is a BN2. It has the Ghia specific ducting for the air intake and output which can be difficult to find although you can make your own.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear gas heater. Reply with quote

Why not run it through the rear window shelf that way you will get a rear window defroster. It's going to cook you out of the car anyway as a Ghia passenger compartment is smaller than a beetle. I have a S/W heater that I couldn't bring myself to mount next to the gas tank as open flame and gas fumes doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, but I was thinking rear shelf.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: