Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My VW got killed today :(
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

At least it wasn't the bug, but still sucks. Just got this car 5 weeks ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

hardly killed Confused

hood, bumper cover, lights, inner support, fender liner and you'll be back on the road. common color too, so you may find j/y parts and not even have to paint them, but front end parts are hard to find seeing it is often times damaged in a wreck

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
hardly killed Confused

hood, bumper cover, lights, inner support, fender liner and you'll be back on the road. common color too, so you may find j/y parts and not even have to paint them, but front end parts are hard to find seeing it is often times damaged in a wreck

Door is also bent and wouldn't open. Blew both front air bags. It's a 2004 with 152k miles. Full coverage insurance. I highly doubt it's getting fixed.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

How'd it happen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Yep, you're right, once the bags have deployed its a write off. Glad/hope you're OK. Sucks that you only had it for a few weeks but it's nice that it wasn't the beetle. You can find out what the buy back is & replace the damaged parts though.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Now if only you can find a '02-'05 Passat with a manual trans...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
How'd it happen?

Guy ran a red light.

TDCTDI wrote:
Yep, you're right, once the bags have deployed its a write off. Glad/hope you're OK. Sucks that you only had it for a few weeks but it's nice that it wasn't the beetle. You can find out what the buy back is & replace the damaged parts though.

I have no desire to own a vehicle with a salvage title. If it's written off I'll just find another car.

If it was the bug I'd be in jail for assault.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
How'd it happen?

Guy ran a red light.

TDCTDI wrote:

I have no desire to own a vehicle with a salvage title. If it's written off I'll just find another car.

If it were the bug you'd be in the hospital.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Wow had me scared for a minute. It is repairable. Then sell it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Who was driving? Wife? Good thing you didn't give her the super.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

When I read the thread title my heart sank a little. Everybody that has read your posts lately. Knows you have a 66 Beetle to die for. But the title of your post is vague and scared the shit out of me.
I hope that you and the wife are healthy and that the A-hole that ran the red light had insurance. To the posters that think Vintage Beetles are death traps, you can get killed in any car.
On the bright side you get to hunt for Beetle for the wife to drive since she was Soooo in love with your 66. Very Happy
Have a safe weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
When I read the thread title my heart sank a little. Everybody that has read your posts lately. Knows you have a 66 Beetle to die for. But the title of your post is vague and scared the shit out of me.
I hope that you and the wife are healthy and that the A-hole that ran the red light had insurance. To the posters that think Vintage Beetles are death traps, you can get killed in any car.
On the bright side you get to hunt for Beetle for the wife to drive since she was Soooo in love with your 66. Very Happy
Have a safe weekend.

I would have literally cried if we were in the '66. The dude that ran the red was in a 2005 Lexus and does have insurance. Same insurance as us (Geico) so hopefully that will speed up the process as it won't be two different companies dealing with each other. Everyone is ok. What's funny is the worst "injury" is breathing in all the damn air bag dust. Stuff irritates your lungs and throat like crazy.

I'm ok with either outcome. If it gets fixed we get to keep it, if not we get to find something else. She really wants a Thing so who knows what we'll end up with Laughing

enjoyther1de wrote:

We actually don't have the Super anymore. Yes she was driving. If we were in the bug we probably wouldn't have wrecked at all. It's a much slower car so we wouldn't have been at that intersection at the exact moment that guy was running the light. I know that's over thinking it, but you get my point.

Last edited by Cali_Army_Guy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
How'd it happen?

Guy ran a red light.

Were either of you texting and driving?

Quote:

TDCTDI wrote:

You definitely shouldn't be driving on the public roads and should seek serious professional help.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
How'd it happen?

Guy ran a red light.

Were either of you texting and driving?

Quote:

TDCTDI wrote:

You definitely shouldn't be driving on the public roads and should seek serious professional help.

I can't speak for the guy that ran his light, but my wife was not texting.

And you're not the first person to make that suggestion. I was told the same thing by "professionals" when I returned home from my 21 months in Iraq. Didn't go then either. Buts that's another story for another time.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Soldier- I'm glad you and your wife are okay. I view these late model but no-longer new cars as the sacrificial lambs of the freeway. I'll be sad if something horrible happens to my DD Volvo V70, but that why I bought it. It's the car that gets exposed and is most prone to the inevitable red light runner.

In a weird way, it may be confidence-inspiring for your wife to feel safe- knowing what happens in one of these Golfs. I hope this is the big one for you guys. Now take her shopping this weekend and buy something brighter. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Also, you're lucky your car doesn't have those killer air bags that have been recalled.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

wow, bags get off an no broken windshield (had I seen that, yes she's totaled)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

enjoyther1de wrote:

We actually don't have the Super anymore. Yes she was driving. If we were in the bug we probably wouldn't have wrecked at all. It's a much slower car so we wouldn't have been at that intersection at the exact moment that guy was running the light. I know that's over thinking it, but you get my point.

I've thought about the what ifs so many times. What if you had a faster car and she got clipped in the rear sending her into a slide? What if?
Glad she's ok. Head on a swivel my friends. When you driving, drive as if EVERYONE wants to kill you.

On the bright side insurance might kick out enough cash for a decent baja. Just sayin. Put the wife in a suburban.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

Quote:
Put the wife in a suburban.

Or one of these...... Cool

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My VW got killed today :( Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Quote:
Put the wife in a suburban.

Or one of these...... Cool

Hahaha then she would be alive and everyone else around her would be dead.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
wow, bags get off an no broken windshield (had I seen that, yes she's totaled)

Yeah I was surprised it didn't destroy the windshield too.

A little brightness to the situation. Stopped at Enterprise to pick up our rental car and there was another bug in the parking lot. Made me smile.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: