Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI carpet set
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdebaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

I just started installing my carpet in 1971. Some pieces don't fit well at all. I've done many, other cars, but this is the worst I have experienced.

The piece over the rear wheel box is off in several ways. Too narrow in the rear, doesn't follow the dip in the floor behind the seat, and more.

Main, rear, storage-area carpet is too short. Doesn't go to the top of the rear bulkhead.

There's more, but is this typical of the standard TMI carpet? Is there a reasonably-priced alternative? I'm not going to pay the Newton price.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not going to pay the Newton price.

I think its $308 US. How much was the TMI?
I dont think Newton Comm is expensive, it just fits like its expensive.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

Mine was perfect. Call tmi and swap it out. I had them add grommets to mine and it was super fast. They sell lots and lots of these. Take pics and email them
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

trelms wrote:
I had them add grommets to mine.

Grommets to tack the carpet panels to the pan?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

Seat belt holes. Shifter surround and ebrake surround.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

I have never cared for the quality of TMI. Your issues sound familiar.

Newton is pricey - partly due to exchange rate difference but the product is many times better than TMI.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

Newton is pricey - partly due to exchange rate difference but the product is many times better than TMI.

With the current exchange rate Newton hasn't been cheaper for 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
NOVA Airhead wrote:

With the current exchange rate Newton hasn't been cheaper for 20 years.

Good point!
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
...the product is many times better than TMI.

This is Newton's 'narrow weave' carpet in the rear seat area of my '67 convertible. Every piece fit perfectly, and as John said, the current exchange rate means lower costs for us here in the colonies.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
sdebaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

I have spoken to TMI folks a few times about this. Sent them pics. Measurement on the length of the main, rear-luggage-area carpet matches their pattern, but, as you can see from the pic, comes up short on my car.

Note how piece next to rear-seat bottom hangs out past edge of panel.

Maybe my car is the one out of 400,000 plus that was made differently. It must be worth millions.

Carpet on wheel box is what it is. I am supposed to know to use a steamer or steam iron to stretch and shape it to fit, I was told.

It would be good for TMI to include directions with the carpet set.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

This thread reminded me . . . when I was installing a TMI carpet kit in my '68 Ghia, I was held up for two weeks . . . I had to send one piece back because it was missing the binding along one edge!
Nothing better than having stupid stuff holding up progress! Mad

Speaking of no instruction . . . be glad ya don't have to figure out how to make the cut-out in the carpet for the front heater outlet!

As supplied from TMI . . .

Ready for installation after quite a bit of work . . .

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

sdebaker wrote:
I have spoken to TMI folks a few times about this. Sent them pics. Measurement on the length of the main, rear-luggage-area carpet matches their pattern, but, as you can see from the pic, comes up short on my car. Note how piece next to rear-seat bottom hangs out past edge of panel. Maybe my car is the one out of 400,000 plus that was made differently. It must be worth millions. Carpet on wheel box is what it is. I am supposed to know to use a steamer or steam iron to stretch and shape it to fit, I was told. It would be good for TMI to include directions with the carpet set.

My wife and I made our own carpets for my 68 RHD Coupé from New Zealand pure new wool heavy duty domestic carpet and for a fraction of the price of even the cheapest mail order sets. With so many Sambanista doing very difficult jobs on their cars - metalwork, electrics, suspension, engines and gearboxes - I'm surprised so few make their own carpets.

When you make your own, you can trim and fit them properly, choose the colour and the quality, and have the satisfaction of a job done yourself.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

Quote:

My wife and I made our own carpets for my 68 RHD Coupé from New Zealand pure new wool heavy duty domestic carpet and for a fraction of the price of even the cheapest mail order sets. With so many Sambanista doing very difficult jobs on their cars - metalwork, electrics, suspension, engines and gearboxes - I'm surprised so few make their own carpets.

When you make your own, you can trim and fit them properly, choose the colour and the quality, and have the satisfaction of a job done yourself.

I'm with you on that 100% and while I'm not there yet (I have a list of things before I get to the interior which I will do last) I plan on doing all my own upholstery including full interior carpet, door panels, under the hood and rear window deck.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
sdebaker wrote:
I have spoken to TMI folks a few times about this. Sent them pics. Measurement on the length of the main, rear-luggage-area carpet matches their pattern, but, as you can see from the pic, comes up short on my car. Note how piece next to rear-seat bottom hangs out past edge of panel. Maybe my car is the one out of 400,000 plus that was made differently. It must be worth millions. Carpet on wheel box is what it is. I am supposed to know to use a steamer or steam iron to stretch and shape it to fit, I was told. It would be good for TMI to include directions with the carpet set.

Kiwi, I can't recall from reading your thread and I don't want to go back to look because I know that I'll end up being distracted for hours drooling over all the pictures there - did you sew the edge binding on the carpet by yourself, or did you take the carpet pieces out to an upholsterer after you cut them to fit?

Buy a carpet set for your Ghia, or make your own custom set - either way it sounds like no instruction sheet will be included. Smile

I've never looked before, but thought that surely there must be an instructional video on Ghia carpet instalation somewhere out there on the World Wide Web.
THIS VIDEO is the first one that came up in the search results, and although I didn't watch the entire thing it seems like there was some helpful tips and information there.

Hang in there, sdebaker - you'll get everything sorted out eventually, and later when someone comments on how nice the carpet looks you can experience the satisfaction that goes along with telling them that you installed it yourself.
Now, won't that be just "priceless"? Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
My wife and I made our own carpets for my 68 RHD Coupé from New Zealand pure new wool heavy duty domestic carpet and for a fraction of the price of even the cheapest mail order sets. With so many Sambanista doing very difficult jobs on their cars - metalwork, electrics, suspension, engines and gearboxes - I'm surprised so few make their own carpets. When you make your own, you can trim and fit them properly, choose the colour and the quality, and have the satisfaction of a job done yourself.

Kiwi, I can't recall from reading your thread and I don't want to go back to look because I know that I'll end up being distracted for hours drooling over all the pictures there - did you sew the edge binding on the carpet by yourself, or did you take the carpet pieces out to an upholsterer after you cut them to fit?

Yes, I had the binding done by an upholsterer. It was quick and cheap. Another thing to note is this: The mail-order kits don't take into account the thickness of the sound-deadening you may use, so a proper fit is almost impossible. Make your own.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

When my TMI carpet is dead - I will definitely replace it with Newton.

Last edited by bluedot on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
When my carpet is TMI carpet is dead - I will definately replace it with Newton.

Newton is very good, by all accounts, especially the top notch set. Unfortunately for those of us in the southern hemisphere, the shipping amounts to as much as the cost of the carpets.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
bluedot wrote:
When my carpet is TMI carpet is dead - I will definately replace it with Newton.

Newton is very good, by all accounts, especially the top notch set. Unfortunately for those of us in the southern hemisphere, the shipping amounts to as much as the cost of the carpets.

Yep UK can be punishing for postal charges. Sad
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
With so many Sambanista doing very difficult jobs on their cars - metalwork, electrics, suspension, engines and gearboxes - I'm surprised so few make their own carpets.

I've wondered the same thing. And this reminded me of this relatively recent diy-er... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7512704
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet set Reply with quote

Quote:
Buy a carpet set for your Ghia, or make your own custom set - either way it sounds like no instruction sheet will be included. Smile

Newton sends 3-4 pages of detailed instructions with their kit.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: