Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

I completely removed the fresh air box, disassembled, cleaned and about to put it back in. But the hoses that connect to it are loose in both "cavities" on left and right.

How does one reconnect these hoses? I can find no access holes or openings at the bottom. And it seems there are two sizes or hoses going down. I searched and found one good thread on the beating of a bug, but not much seems to be said about the fresh air hoses.

I almost contemplated removing the hood to see if my hand can squeeze down there, but after searching threads on hood removal I got scared.

Any ideas?
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

There are no hoses from fresh air box to the vents, Its an insulated wrap.
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
There are no hoses from fresh air box to the vents, Its an insulated wrap.

I meant from the body cavities just below the hood hinges on left and right. There are hoses that come from below and they connect to the airbox I think. My biggest problem is how to connect them to whatever they connect to at the bottom.

Btw...what's an insulate wrap?
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

So you're talking about the hoses that go from the depths of the front quarter panel up to the fresh air box, correct?

In that case...

There's one hose on each side that connects to the heater channels down in your front quarter panels, this area is often referred to as the "black hole" because of its ability to swallow up whatever you drop down there for eternity. Those hoses that connect to the heater channel go to a fitting in the trunk that splits it into multiple hoses that go to your defrost.

Unfortunately, it's a real bitch of a job to get the hoses re-connected. Pull back your carpet inside the car just forward of the door frame. There should be a small access hole of sorts. Shine a light in there--you'll probably see 40 years of debris. Clean that out, and you should see where the hose connects to. As far as actually connecting the hose, you've gotta get creative. You could remove the hood for easier access down there, I've seen people cut that access hole open and attach them that way.

Hope that helps some!
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

OK thank...so in other words, no easy way that I'm missing. Sad

I peeled back the carpeting on the passenger side and could kind feel a hole there, but on the driver's side, there doesn't seem to be a hole. Maybe it got welded up...no wonder the remnants of the hose are so free moving there.

Oh well. Thanks for the help, but looks like I got some hard work to do.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

May be this helps:

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/index-sd.html#/620

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1698723
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

Maddel, thanks for that. I have now ascertained that I have that piece, at least on the driver's side. The hoses were loose anyway, so I pulled it all the way up and see this.

Great. So that short piece of hose connects to "something" at the bottom. This must be an impossible hose to fit! Judging from how torn up it is the PO must've given up at some point.

Any tips guys?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
... So that short piece of hose connects to "something" at the bottom...

Not a Super Beetle but the pic below shows that "something" on the right hand side of a 1960 Bug:

Notice the small "access hole" inside the car at the footwell area.

x2 what TheRustySuper said:
TheRustySuper wrote:
Unfortunately, it's a real bitch of a job to get the hoses re-connected. Pull back your carpet inside the car just forward of the door frame. There should be a small access hole of sorts. Shine a light in there--you'll probably see 40 years of debris. Clean that out, and you should see where the hose connects to. As far as actually connecting the hose, you've gotta get creative. You could remove the hood for easier access down there, I've seen people cut that access hole open and attach them that way.

Pic taken from this web site (all German):
http://www.old-bugs-never-die.de/meine-k%C3%A4fer/vw-1200-baujahr-1960/bilder-der-restauration/

Google translated version:
https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl...uration%2F

Here is how I routed the three smaller hoses at the trunk:

Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

Thanks Maddel, the photos you posted are very helpful. I did not peel back the carpeting that far to reveal the hole. That means the "hole" I have on my passenger side is probably rust. Rolling Eyes

Look like I got some contortions to do soon! BTW, your trunk is amazingly clean.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

Mines a 1974 Std Bug. You can get down the "holes of doom", but you need skinny arms.

Here's my thread on what I did:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=460

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

peteandvanessa wrote:
Mines a 1974 Std Bug. You can get down the "holes of doom", but you need skinny arms.

Holee Smokes Pete! That's some thread! Yours did come up in my many searches, but the thread was so long that I gave up searching through it for the "holes of doom" section. Laughing

So skinny arms eh! I might have to get one my nimble-fingered daughters do it for me. And you did it all with the hood in place? I guess its all by feel right? I'm not sure how one could even look down there...I guess you just stuck the camera in to take the shot eh!

Thanks for the inspiration! It appears that the "Y's" come up almost to the top. That would make for easier hooking-unhooking for future.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

You'll want to be sure you have all the carpet nails out of interior before sticking your arm down there. Otherwise, it's rather uncomfortable!
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Superbeetle - fresh air hoses Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
peteandvanessa wrote:

Holee Smokes Pete! That's some thread! Yours did come up in my many searches, but the thread was so long that I gave up searching through it for the "holes of doom" section. Laughing

So skinny arms eh! I might have to get one my nimble-fingered daughters do it for me. And you did it all with the hood in place? I guess its all by feel right? I'm not sure how one could even look down there...I guess you just stuck the camera in to take the shot eh!

Thanks for the inspiration! It appears that the "Y's" come up almost to the top. That would make for easier hooking-unhooking for future.

Yes, I did it with the hood in place. Getting a shot of the holes of doom really helps to see what you are trying to do, but almost all of it is by feel.

The tricky part was getting the old hose off the bottom of the pipe at the bottom of the holes of doom. They temp to be stuck on pretty good after being their for years and years.
A narrow, hooked scraper helps to get the old stuff off. If you dont get the old hose off you will have a heck of a time putting the new one on.
That's why I took a pic down the holes of doom to see it I'd got it all off.

Once you have it cleaned off, get the new hose and try to flare the end of the hose slightly with your fingers, and smear a small amount of grease on the end, then when you are fitting it, put one arm and your hand down the holes of doom whilst twisting the new hose onto the pipe. It's doable, but really tricky!!!! Good Luck

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: