Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non working check engine light
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

I just picked up my 1999 VW Eurovan. I drove it home 375 miles and it did great. In Colorado we have to get an emissions test. When I talked the the gentleman today from emissions he said that I should make sure the check engine light comes on then turns off after you start it. I just noticed mine does not turn I did have the vehicle inspected and they did not mention this. Could it be because they did a heater core bypass? I am mad at myself they I did not catch this when I picked it up. Any thoughts?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

For emissions, the check engine light must work. Hopefully the previous owner did not remove the bulb because something is actually wrong and they got tired of looking at the light. I know this is a common practice here in PA because some counties do not have emissions and others do. So when cars get sold from a non-emissions to an emissions county, the new owner finds out the truth. The garage down the street from me runs into this all of the time because the county just north of us does not require emissions.

I suggest having someone check your van with a VAG-COM and get to the bottom of this. Don't use a generic OBD-2 reader either. You can go into the dash with a VAG-COM and do an output test on all of the warning lights. That way, you don't have to start taking the thole thing apart. In addition to that you'll get much better info when you go into the ECU.

I do know the bulb is pretty robust because the check engine light has been on in my TDI Jetta for 17 years (I don't run an EGR on it). I wish it would burn out.
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
For emissions, the check engine light must work. Hopefully the previous owner did not remove the bulb because something is actually wrong and they got tired of looking at the light. I know this is a common practice here in PA because some counties do not have emissions and others do. So when cars get sold from a non-emissions to an emissions county, the new owner finds out the truth. The garage down the street from me runs into this all of the time because the county just north of us does not require emissions.

I suggest having someone check your van with a VAG-COM and get to the bottom of this. Don't use a generic OBD-2 reader either. You can go into the dash with a VAG-COM and do an output test on all of the warning lights. That way, you don't have to start taking the thole thing apart. In addition to that you'll get much better info when you go into the ECU.

I do know the bulb is pretty robust because the check engine light has been on in my TDI Jetta for 17 years (I don't run an EGR on it). I wish it would burn out.

I am bringing it in next week for a serpentine belt, heater core, and Transmission cooler. I'll have them check it then. Hopefully not breaking the bank next week! Where do you get the VAG-COM readers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

I suggest supporting this company because it's a small independent business that has literally made the life of VW/Audi owners much easier for years and years.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

yes, this is a problem. that light should come on when you first turn the key before you turn over the car. If it's not showing then, it's out or someone fucked with it (i've never seen one go out).

Not as big as a problem as an oil light or a temp light, but yes -- that thing should work and likely you've got a few codes being thrown right now that you were unaware of.

As some have suggested, the vag-com is key, but even a quick stop by your local auto parts store and getting them to run an obd reader on there will give you some idea of what codes are being hidden by a non-working light.

that's messed up that they missed it. If you really want it in good, professional hands that deal with Eurovans (and are the best at it) get that car over to Mark at Wolfsburg Autowerks and see what else they missed.

ugh. i feel for you though man. that sucks.

*edit: I doubt it was for the heater core bypass.. as that's usually just a temporary fix and they'd have to be real fools to disable that little light just for the rear heater core... not even sure if it would throw a code by being bypassed.... just venturing a guess here, but if they replaced the computer in that car with one that wasn't quite right, it could throw a permanent code (i have a 97 with a later computer that does that due to a non-existent gas tank pressure check system in the 97 that the 98 computer keeps looking for). possibly something like that? Maybe just got sick of the EGR codes and EVAP codes and couldn't find anyone to do a reliable system vacuum test?
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

I suggest supporting this company because it's a small independent business that has literally made the life of VW/Audi owners much easier for years and years.

.......and they are still stuck in the last century Laughing

I've had a VAGCOM for 15 years or so and I hate it compared to a $20 wireless OBDII plug in with a choice of a billion apps for my phone. Wink

99.9% of the time you don't need a VAGCOM to work on these vans.

I have to keep a windows 98 laptop around and a massive extension cord so I can still use my VAGCOM. They want like $250 to "upgrade" my cable to one that will *sorta* work with my mac....maybe. Rolling Eyes
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

You have to remember there are many other things that the VAG-COM can do. There are not lots of things for the EV but for other VAG products it's priceless.

I'd think that people would like to support known small businesses that have been such a long term benefit for VAG products. Maybe not.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
You have to remember there are many other things that the VAG-COM can do. There are not lots of things for the EV but for other VAG products it's priceless.

I'd think that people would like to support known small businesses that have been such a long term benefit for VAG products. Maybe not.

It was great for my B5 S4 but rarely used since and I work on VAG stuff constantly. They have not kept up with the technology and are overpriced these days IMO. (Having 15 years of experience with the product)

I don't think people should buy a product based on business size alone. They need to offer a good product at a competitive price.

Maybe this is why they are still a small business? I bought one of their products 15years ago but there has not been any innovation to compel me to buy something else from them.

I'd love to see a iOS/Android version of vag-com as those are the major computing platforms these days. Pairing with a wifi/Bluetooth OBDII reader like the other 100s of programs eating into their business.

The ONLY reason I have an old Windows computer around is to occasionally use my vag-com.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

I suggest working on other cars and then you'll find the value of VAG-COM. Having to buy $2500 in software to access the multitude of BMW modules and then another $2K for Fiat, sure makes VAG-COM look like a bargain especially when you need to access something on a 2016 VAG product. If VW decided to sell a T6 tomorrow here in the states, trust me the VAG-COM is really worth it. If you are dealing with 15-20 year old products, maybe not.
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
yes, this is a problem. that light should come on when you first turn the key before you turn over the car. If it's not showing then, it's out or someone fucked with it (i've never seen one go out).

Not as big as a problem as an oil light or a temp light, but yes -- that thing should work and likely you've got a few codes being thrown right now that you were unaware of.

As some have suggested, the vag-com is key, but even a quick stop by your local auto parts store and getting them to run an obd reader on there will give you some idea of what codes are being hidden by a non-working light.

that's messed up that they missed it. If you really want it in good, professional hands that deal with Eurovans (and are the best at it) get that car over to Mark at Wolfsburg Autowerks and see what else they missed.
Thanks. It going in Tuesday and this has moved on the top of my priority list.

ugh. i feel for you though man. that sucks.

*edit: I doubt it was for the heater core bypass.. as that's usually just a temporary fix and they'd have to be real fools to disable that little light just for the rear heater core... not even sure if it would throw a code by being bypassed.... just venturing a guess here, but if they replaced the computer in that car with one that wasn't quite right, it could throw a permanent code (i have a 97 with a later computer that does that due to a non-existent gas tank pressure check system in the 97 that the 98 computer keeps looking for). possibly something like that? Maybe just got sick of the EGR codes and EVAP codes and couldn't find anyone to do a reliable system vacuum test?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
I suggest working on other cars and then you'll find the value of VAG-COM. Having to buy $2500 in software to access the multitude of BMW modules and then another $2K for Fiat, sure makes VAG-COM look like a bargain especially when you need to access something on a 2016 VAG product. If VW decided to sell a T6 tomorrow here in the states, trust me the VAG-COM is really worth it. If you are dealing with 15-20 year old products, maybe not.

My $200 Autel 800 series reads clears modules on BMW Volvo VW including ABS and SRS. $2500 wouldn't be cost competitive with going to dealer. At that price, Sambanistas should tool share it
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
jjvincent wrote:

My $200 Autel 800 series reads clears modules on BMW Volvo VW including ABS and SRS. $2500 wouldn't be cost competitive with going to dealer. At that price, Sambanistas should tool share it
In the end, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

As for the OP, did you ever figure it out?
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

Thanks Denver8. It is going to Wolfsburg Tuesady. I will see what SH*t show I am walking into to. The heater core replacement might have to wait.
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

Dropped van of today. Saw a couple of your vans there Denver8. They were pretty sweet!
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

thanks! Mark is doing some checkovers for us!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

Found out today the check engine light wire was cut. Probably due to it throwing an EGR code.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

LongmontLou wrote:
Found out today the check engine light wire was cut. Probably due to it throwing an EGR code.
Oh Boy. Better hope that the EGR ports are not plugged up in the head.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

Man I hate previous owners.

that sucks, but hopefully its more due to an inept mechanic who couldn't figure out the EGR valve/system and not a larger problem.

wife said she saw your tin top yesterday when swapping a van out with WAW and told me she had considered that one for us. Sorry to hear you've had such troubles, but it'll get fixed and you'll have a killer whip.

LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
Man I hate previous owners.

that sucks, but hopefully its more due to an inept mechanic who couldn't figure out the EGR valve/system and not a larger problem.

wife said she saw your tin top yesterday when swapping a van out with WAW and told me she had considered that one for us. Sorry to hear you've had such troubles, but it'll get fixed and you'll have a killer whip.

Thanks. It sucks, but we are in it, and hopefully this is not going to be too expensive. Just want it road ready. I really dig driving the thing.
LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Non working check engine light Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
LongmontLou wrote:
Oh Boy. Better hope that the EGR ports are not plugged up in the head.

Hope not. The mechanic I have it at is awesome (Thanks Denver8 for the referral) . He did say that in the state of Colorado, the seller is responsible to make sure that the car will pass emissions. According to him the seller can either buy the car back or pay for the repair.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: