Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Lots of hard work. My hats off to u both. Good job.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Alot of elbow grease to get it cleaned but no we will leave as bare metal.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

So I had about 6 hours to work on the bug on Saturday due to Easter Sunday. Here is how far we got.

Does not look bad until you look close.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cut the frame out.

Look at the rust on the back.

Grinding comes next.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

While I welded my son worked on the engine some more. I will put all of his photos together. There may be a repeat or two.

Lots of water had been in the Cylinders but it looks like the pistons were fully up but valve(s) was open on each.

Found this on the vacuum line. Never seen one before but I assume it is for shock on the line. Had no clamps on it at all.

Blow by on #2.

Engine is clean and at Vee Village in KCMO for line boring and to have the crank turned. The #2 crank bearing was burnt up and damaged the crank and the piston arm.

Heads came together nicely. Had a lot of cleaning and one valve to replace.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Beautiful heads! Cool
Did you guys make that valve removal tool?
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Beautiful heads! Cool
Did you guys make that valve removal tool?

Bought it from Airhead Parts I think. It was not much $20.00 or so.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Ah, thanks! $20 a pop explains it being mostly (from what I can see) tacked together, though it apparently works adequately!
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Ah, thanks! $20 a pop explains it being mostly (from what I can see) tacked together, though it apparently works adequately!

Works OK for the amount I do.

tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

I have taken short break on welding due to getting ready for an up coming VW show. My son is still working on the engine just finished the fan shroud, Love the looks. We switched it from a 6v to a 12v.

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Good work!

That loop there is on the vac line so when the car is shut off, it keeps gas (if any) from flowing down into the vac can ruining the diaphragm.

Most are missing, So I route vacuum lines Up above the carb, over the coil, and down to the vac can for the same effect.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
Good work!

That loop there is on the vac line so when the car is shut off, it keeps gas (if any) from flowing down into the vac can ruining the diaphragm.

Most are missing, So I route vacuum lines Up above the carb, over the coil, and down to the vac can for the same effect.

Learn something new every day on Bugs. Makes total since. Thanks

tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

It has been couple of weeks but finally got all of the parts in and fixed.

We got the crank ground and the and bearings to match. We had to buy remanufactured piston arms due to too much damage on the originals. Found that when we used anti-seizing grease to lube the bearings it bound up the piston arm bearings. We had to put almost 75 Lbs of pressure just to get them to turn and that was only one piston arm. We think the grinding may have been "too" precise and not enough gap was left which caused a suction to occur when clamped down. Could not figure out if this was the case so it is a mystery right now. When we used engine oil it went away. Got it all sealed up and it turns freely. Now to get the end play and the pistons/heads on.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

When that was apart, one thing I would have done... (and have done) would have been to deal with that damn too small oil filler/breather hole.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

That shiny block is a pretty sight! Cool
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
That shiny block is a pretty sight! Cool

That's what I was thinking.

Did you paint it or is it cleaned up? If cleaned, how did you do it?

Lookin' good! Cool
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Wire brush/wheel and elbow grease. Lots of diesel in a pan also to get the greasy grime off. It was nasty.

tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

So my son took his pan and engine to the VolksWeston show on Saturday. he did well. He got first in "Under Construction Division". I will post more pictures from my phone. He talked to more than 500 people about it during the show.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

Congrats to him (and you), solid work gets recognition! Cool
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

So we have the engine together now. We are going to stick it in my 64 vert to get it broke in and then later put it on the frame. That way we can tun it and prep it for the final istall. I think it turned out good. The tin was a pain. Still have to put the front tin on. Got the prewarmer tubes hooked up last night as well as the fuel line put on. Wiring is next. We are going to put a quick disconnect.

tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Verna Resoration - 1964 Type I Beetle Sedan (Uhg Bug) Reply with quote

So we finished the engine today. We plan to put it in my 1964 Vert to break it in and tune it fully. It will also give me the chance to crack my engine open and find that blasted ticking sound that is killing me.

He had to replace the Carb due to cracks in the main shaft and the choke being 6 volt. He replaced it with a H30/31 Carb and is going to replace the stock Dissy with a HVDA Dissy. We found that finding replacement parts for his Dissy is hard as hell. He also added 1" neck to the bottom of the carb to make room for the 12 volt Generator and stand.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: