Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Your bus sure has come a long way. 😎😎
I'm sorry you wasted your time reading about my horn! I haven't done a thing to fix it. Way down on the list. I bought more buses, Vanagons and a beetle instead.

But do know the late Baywindow horn circuit is slightly different than the early bay. I did not look at the thread that Tcash posted, but I bet it is the right one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Pinetops, thank you sir! Good to hear from you buddy.

Wasted Youth, that's what I just did...buy something else instead of finishing my current project. But I bought it as a parts car (go to napa for parts for the bus/groceries). Everyone say hello to my 1965 Beetle, OG and from Hope, AR since driving of the lot in Hope some decades ago. If only I knew where I'm going to park it. Name is to be determined.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for the bus, I have the motor halfway back together, camping this coming weekend but I intend to finish buttoning it up and running it start of next week! The excitement is becoming more and more of a reality. I have to say, I truly enjoy these old things.
Hope everyone is happy and healthy,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Nice original looking '65 you found there.

I have a cousin who lives in Heber Springs on a trout stream. I've been there a few times. When you get your camper going that might be a fine camping trip for you. Their area is beautiful.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Sam, you poor bastard. You're running down a slippery slope into an air cooled rabbit hole of which there is no escape.

Probably too late for you anyway. 😎

That is a sweet find! It's such a neat thing to slide out of the bus seat and down into the beetle. Total scoot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Love the '65! I also have a beetle on the side. A '66, link in my signature. It will become my daily once it's back on the road.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Following for all this HEAVENLY information in one location!

Congrats on the buy, bad ass rebuilt interior, canvas looks amazing, sucks what happened to the engine, glad you got the engine rebuilt, sucks what happened to the heads, good luck with the heads, and thanks for all the motivation!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the love guys! Now if only my lady could catch the "bug" I'd be in a lot cooler water Laughing
Dubbernaut, positive word like that help me stay on track and focused to the goal, the bus bouncing down a country road! Thanks a ton. Little by little, and the more little you give, the big picture comes to play. Hmmm...am I learning life lessons on old VW's? Momma said I would one day!
Happy Friday folks,
Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

No worries! Thats one of the biggest things I love about the air cooled side of things, more than the water cooled. Both have their attributes and tuning/restoring niches. For the most part, other than the little arguments people get into ....subi conversion.... the air cooled side is WAY more positive and uplifting than the other guys. I cant tell you how many times on Vortex people go bat shite nuts with the choices you make tuning your rig, and then they just follow you around on the site complaining about everything.

It just so happens that I may have stumbled onto a 72? bus, just like yours. Im still learning ALL the beginner info for the camper rigs, and reading the 20 some pages here has really made me want to sell my Corrado's and put 8k into my 76' bus and buy that orange one! You and that Stuart kid with his camper are a HUGE motivation for me! Have fun and keep working! I cant wait to roll through your town and stop for a burger! Im wanting to do a nice cross country drive when mine is dead set reliable!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So today I took an hour after work to install my EMPI exhaust from a great fellow Samba member (Curtp07), as well as place on the air cleaner box, fresh air intake tubes, and carbs. Tomorrow marks the day of TRUTH!!! The plan after work tomorrow is to run the motor for the first time since the tear down. I am beyond excited, and fingers are crossed. Hopefully I am not as idiotic as my younger days, tomorrow evening will tell soon enough.
All you faithful and supportive Samba lovers, wish me luck!!!
All I lack is adjusting valves and running fuel lines. And a few pieces in tin to put on.
Until tomorrow guys,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So today took a different turn, as my initial plan was to run the motor before installation back in the bus, my friend didn't have a starter on a stand to make the trial run possible.
So, instead my dad, my buddy Brian, and myself got the motor back home in the bus, bolted back in to the transaxle and the mustache bar tightened in place. I have to admit, it looks great seeing a motor back in the bus. Now to hear it successful run and run nicely, my life will be complete!
Trying to identify all necessary vacuum lines, and run fuel lines tomorrow. Super pumped, getting the motor back in was a milestone in itself, now to get it running!!
Have a good night everyone,
Sam

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Excited for you! Good luck with the startup!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

+1
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Can't remember if you replaced the camshaft? But if you did.
You need to
Static time the engine, so it starts right away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24

Then run the engine varying the rpm above 2,000 RPM for 20 Minutes to break in the cam. Longest 20 minutes of your life.

It is important to have all the Tin in place and the Timing set right, so as not to overheat the engine during this procedure.

Good luck
Tcash

PS then I dump the sump and inspect the oil and the sump. You can expect to see some glimmering of metal flakes, but no chunks. This is a good practice to catch any ailments early so they do not become terminal.

Good luck
Tcash
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

What Cash said, plus what I do is let the motor cool completely after the run in period and run the valves again. Then, check them again after a few hundred miles. With a fresh valve job the valves will bite into the seats a bit and the lash will close.

Good luck.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Quick question guys, regarding wiring to the alternator.
I have a green, red, brown, and black wire coming off the alternator. In the receiving in from the harness, I have a green, a red, a brown, NO BLACK, a bigger brownish color wire, and a blueish color wire.
Trying to fire up with no luck, I don’t not have all the vacuum lines up, nor do I have the solenoids on the carbs wired or the electric chokes (i know for a fact that one is bad). What am I missing, it wants to run, fuel is good, spark is good, but no run. Do the things mentioned have to be wired from ignition coil to allow for the motor to run???
Thanks guys, down but optimistic, the perks of new grounds.
Have a great night,
Sam

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Not trying to be a complete dick, but I sense some impatience. Not having all the vacuum lines connected, a bad solenoid and the chokes not operating point to the idea that you are getting in a hurry.

That is a sure way to have a disappointing day.

Take some extra time, work through a pre-flight checklist of engine assembly and get everything set up correctly. You will surely have enough to worry about during that first twenty minute break-in without the added confusion of a weak battery not being charged and keeping the primary ignition voltage up, as well as fuel/air issues during warm-up because the chokes are half-on and off. Unconnected vacuum lines will give you further hassle while you struggle to properly break in.

And now, to be a complete dick... Laughing Did you consult the wiring diagrams and verify you have the correct alternator, wiring harness and voltage regulator?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

What a complete dick, Wasted!
No, really, I know. Impatience is a polite way to say it. I am beyond eager to have the motor running.
My comment was a little misleading, I have the solenoids in, just not wired with the electric chokes to the coil because I know one of them is bad, and with the warmer weather (85 degrees) didn't think they were necessary. I finish hooking up vacuum lines tomorrow and adjust the timing. It'll be running. It was too close today, not to be.
The difficult I have is that the dual carb 1800cc motor with California Emissions is not a Google search answer, nor is it thorough explained in the Bentley. I have been going back on my previous posts around pages 6-10 to locate previous hose demographics.
Also the four people on the Classifieds I've reached out to have been no luck, either no responses or they've already sold them.
I'll stay on the hunt.
Have a good evening,
Sam

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

From the Samba Gallery:

Last edited by Wasted youth on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Yay! My sarcasm was understood without bitterness! Wasn't sure if I would have to post something about a new style of Craigslist. Laughing

I have a 1973 bus with mostly original wiring intact on a 1700 engine. I am certain I can get a couple of pictures of the wiring harness soon, if not by tomorrow night. The engine needs a rebuild, and I have a progressive carb on there, so I can't help you with fuel/air or vacuum.

Have you looked at the Ratwell site?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Quick question guys, regarding wiring to the alternator.
I have a green, red, brown, and black wire coming off the alternator. In the receiving in from the harness, I have a green, a red, a brown, NO BLACK, a bigger brownish color wire, and a blueish color wire.
Trying to fire up with no luck, I don’t not have all the vacuum lines up, nor do I have the solenoids on the carbs wired or the electric chokes (i know for a fact that one is bad). What am I missing, it wants to run, fuel is good, spark is good, but no run. Do the things mentioned have to be wired from ignition coil to allow for the motor to run???
Thanks guys, down but optimistic, the perks of new grounds.
Have a great night,
Sam

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Click on pic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 58

Jump to: