Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked case that might be ok?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carbaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Cracked case that might be ok? Reply with quote

I've got a type 4 engine but I'm honestly not sure if it's from a type 4, bus, or porsche 914.

On the bottom of the engine is a circular plate that is not the oil drain plug plate. It is part number 81 in the attached exploded view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a thin rim around this plate that has broken off. Should be fine as long as the plate seals, right?

does anyone know what this thing is?

Thanks!
carbaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would I have better luck in a different forum like the type II forum? I'm not even sure if this was the right place to post this question, I'm new to type IV engines.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are in "a" right place. The 914 and bus forums could asnswer teh question just as well. That is a type 4 engine. basic case wise....exxcept for very small casting details and a few differences in machining details like teh dipstick tube.....all of the type 4 cases are essentially the same until the very late model busses that had cast over breather towers.

That round plate is where a crankcase heater unit plugs into on models that were sent to very cold climates. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carbaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the case is no good, I thought only the rim above the sealing surface was cracked off, but the broken off bit took some of that surface with it, so that plate will not seal.

too bad Sad
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an aluminum block so it can be welded and ground smooth. I've seen T4 blocks with large hunks welded back in - even in what appear to be critical stress areas. Might even give JB Weld or Devcon epoxy a try.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the oil and clean the area well using solvents and spray cleaner. Get yourself a replacement plate and seal it in place using JB Weld. There is pretty much no reason to ever have to remove the plate again if it does not leak. The small screws that hold the plate on are supposed to have copper washers under their heads. If you are missing the washers use some form of goo to seal the screw heads to the plate.

Having a piece of aluminium shaped and welded over the hole would work as well. Note that the little indent in the plate is clearance for the dipstick.

Never heard of a plate failing before or this area or the case being damaged. Makes me wonder what someone may have done to cause it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: