Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buyers guide check-list
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Buyers guide check-list Reply with quote

Does anyone have a buyers guide/check-list for what to look for when buying a 412. I will be going up next weekend to possibly get one and want to make sure I checkout everything I need to for one of these. I have an 82 vanagon westy so I know about the engine stuff, but that is all. The Clymer has a section on testing the automatic transmission but what else should I check out?

Thanks
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the biggest problem would be rust. Anything else (mechanical) can be sorted but it's very difficult to find good body panels for these cars. Check the battery tray under the drivers seat as its often rusty -but gladly not too difficult ot repair. Also check the sills and engine lid (if it's a sedan) and lover rear ends of the roof for rust. VW sprayed urethne foam into these areas for sound deadening and they rust very badly and are quite difficult to repair. If the rear sections of the sills are rusty chances are the heat channels inside the sills are in poor condition. And if the sills are bad it's possible the rear suspension mounting points may have rusted out too. Besides the rust i would check that the car is as complete as possible as finding some parts may be difficult. And keep in mind that you cannot buy anything repro for these cars so if somethings worn or missing you'll have to repair it or recondition used parts.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is as described...the body is in excellent condition since it was restored and the shop that did the restoration said they removed the foam that causes the trouble and replaced whole panels etc. This is the yellow woody I posted before I just haven't been able to go see it until now. The donor car used for the restoration comes with it so hopefully there will be still some usable parts on it (no engine or transmission though). I did know if there were any other peculiarities besides the body that required attention. This is an automatic 1974 wagon. There should be a detailed service record with it as well that I should be able to look over for things that should have been done. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the body is in good shape and the restoration seams to be done properly you should go for a test drive. I'm pretty sure that even if the body was restored the shop haven't done that much to the chassis. Check if you can feel any wheel wobble at around 50mph. You can get rid of the wobble just by changing back to original steel wheels (if the car has some aftermarket alloys) but if the wobble is noticeable you'll need to restore the front suspension. Not an impossible thing to do, but you'll have to fabricate parts as nothings available off the shelf.
sbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey reluctantartist,

Is THIS the 412 you're interested in buying?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benteen/530837475

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benteen/530837443

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benteen/530728272

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benteen/530728182

I was just doing a search for 411 on flickr and came across these images (they have it mistakenly labeled). If this is indeed the variant you're looking at, it appears to be in GREAT condition!

How far are you along in the negotiations? I'm sure you can't wait to have that beauty in your driveway!

previous owner of:
'74 VW Thing
'00 VW Golf
'04 VW Golf GLS
'72 VW 411 2 Door
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that is it...etc the rust has been removed that would be a before picture. He had it restored since then. Yes I am looking forward to driving that baby.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will still be a few weeks before I can go look at and hopefully drive the 412 back. I didn't receive interior pictures so the pict of the interior sbritt found has me even more excited about the 412.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benteen/530728272
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: