Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colder weather tips
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Colder weather tips Reply with quote

It' gettin a bit colder even here in So Cal. Bus isn't starting as nicely as it did in the summer. I know I should adjust my auto choke, I'll get around to that in a day or two. Bus seems to be laggin a bit and makes a click on startup if I havent driven her in a day. Click is after she starts (revin low, click, die) seems fine after first start, she just seems too cold. do I have to adjust my carb for fall/winter besides the auto choke?
Only a 20 degree drop in the last couple weeks(Orange CA.)
Any tips out there?
-=kaput=-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have an issue with the choke adjustment. The click is wierd does it sound like it's something in the engine? Something like a relay? Maybe it's the sound of the
carb butterfly. Do you depress the pedal before you start it?

I've been able to hear my choke close in a bug, it's harder in a bus to notice the sound.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my "winterizing" includes a set of plates I made of aluminum in the shape of, and to cover, the front fresh air vents. As you all know, even with a new rubber seal, it doesn't seal it totally and if it's raining water will get in anyway. Sad

If you don't care much about the "finish" of your bus, duct tape works just the same also. Wink
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Part of my "winterizing" includes a set of plates I made of aluminum in the shape of, and to cover, the front fresh air vents. As you all know, even with a new rubber seal, it doesn't seal it totally and if it's raining water will get in anyway. Sad

If you don't care much about the "finish" of your bus, duct tape works just the same also. Wink

But if your shutters and T-Stat are there, why bother?

Cold air in motor makes more power.

w00t.
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it sounds like the engine. starts up and revs low. If I try to hit the gas to quick on the low cold idle it makes the click sound and engine stops. Starts right up after, after warm its not a problem.

I usually push the pedal all the way down when starting when its cold. Should I have to re-tune for the winter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He's talking about the fresh air vent over the windshields, not the air intake on the fan shroud.
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Quote:

He's talking about the fresh air vent over the windshields, not the air intake on the fan shroud.

I never had that problem.. my old busses have the flap shut anyway. No cold air.. I usually get cold air coming up from the pedal holes...

When I thought Front, I was thinking a Bay, sorry.
jardindelalma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a hard time startin cold and changed ou the gaskets between the intake manifalod and head ...it's a crush fit gasket and if the PO re-used you have a vac leak at the intake.....however you may have a leak some where else....my friend just gave me a tip and its pretty simple.....
take a propane torch (DO NOT LIGHT IT!!!!) start engine and get it runnin......turn on propane (NO FIRE!!!!) and run the gas along your intake manifold....if the engine reacts (sounds worse) as you pass by an area you have a leak! can't hurt to check!
as for the click...i have no clue....
good luck!
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jardindelalma wrote:
i had a hard time startin cold and changed ou the gaskets between the intake manifalod and head ...it's a crush fit gasket and if the PO re-used you have a vac leak at the intake.....however you may have a leak some where else....my friend just gave me a tip and its pretty simple.....
take a propane torch (DO NOT LIGHT IT!!!!) start engine and get it runnin......turn on propane (NO FIRE!!!!) and run the gas along your intake manifold....if the engine reacts (sounds worse) as you pass by an area you have a leak! can't hurt to check!
as for the click...i have no clue....
good luck!

You can also use a can of carb cleaner.. If everything is tight the idle shouldn't change if you spray it at various places on the manifold, like where it meets the cylinder head. But any leaks past the carb will result in running lean. So, check it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: