Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's a reasonable offer?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO MATTER WHAT, make sure you at least leave there with your number and contact information in his hands. I have had people asking ridiculous prices for cars that clearly weren't worth it, but still had some appeal that brought me out in the first place. Sometimes, for whatever reason, you don't strike a deal. Sometimes they have an intangible sentimental value that they try to add to a monetary value, etc. I have seriously regretted and learned this one the hard way when we didn't strike a deal, I didn't remember to leave my number, and several months later I saw the car vulturized at Pick-Your-Part. THAT sucks. I certainly would have given them multiples of the $60-80 they got from the junkyard...

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church Key wrote:

If you play the ignorance card...it's a double edger...you'll have to plead BUDGET, not..."HEY, those are only worth...X amount!!!"
The internet has brought us together, but, also JACKED prices...so..just hang in there...and BE SINCERE.
That's how I've scored EVERY ONE of mine.

hmmm plead ignorance - even though you know the real value - and be sincere???? Sounds like some kind of Bill Clinton technique. Smile

www.facebook.com/Sanborn7
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i generally just buy pieces of crap, so there is no worrying about "the resonable offer"... Laughing
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think no matter what I offered him, he wouldn't take it. I'm sure if I offered some seriously ridiculous price he would of, but it appeared that he was really more concerned with letting it go because of sentiment.
He's not going to be putting it together anytime soon and its been sitting so long. He just hates to let go. Damn!
Last he said was let me think about it and we exchanged numbers.
I wonder if 24hrs is long enough for him to think about it or should I wait for around a week?

ghiafreek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon condition of the body, mechanicals etc you could go up to $20-25K

The one thing to remember is don't sound too over anxious and say, "I can afford this."

If it's just sitting, he may let it go cheap and if you show interest, a chilld or two, or a pregnant wife.. etc.

NO joke, man, I bought a couple of cars and although I wasn't trying to get any leverage
just having my kids with me made the guy realize I was a family man. Down came the
price.

But if it's a nice bus go for it, 23s, 21s are goin up. Hey, since this is "local" share the wealth dude. I might cruise down and snag it from him.. Watch it too, there's a lot of sharks over there from Houston, so word gets around fast.. Laughing
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to instill in him that it will be well taken care of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely showed a picture of my kids (6 and 2) and told him they outgrew my ghia and I still want them to have the vw experience.
Oh and about the location of the bus..that's why I haven't mentioned the city its in. Gotta keep 1 step ahead when there's a bus on the line.
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got it!
HELL YEAH!
On my way to pick it up as soon as my wife gets here.

Oh! And now because I have this one. Keep an eye out for a '65 21 window walk through in the classifieds. I'm going to have to put my other one up for sale.

Its orignial sealing wax red with beige grey. Very little rust in cargo area and the nose is untouched, and also complete except for the rear hatch jail bar. I just picked a complete deluxe trim set at a local show. It has all the seats but are covered with denim, all glass and new popout window rubbers. The motor is in excellent running condition, although it was pulled and the bus is taken apart because I have it at the shop in the intial phases of prep work for a paint job. If anyone is interested, let me know....gonna have to get rid of this one.

thanks,
ghiafreek

Last edited by ghiafreek on Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHat you payin?
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soooo.... you didn't know what to offer for a 21 window but you already own one? now you are selling your first 21 window??? Does this seem wierd to anyone else?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=117583

Where are your pics?

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
WHat you payin?

Inquiring minds what to know.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanw3 wrote:
soooo.... you didn't know what to offer for a 21 window but you already own one? now you are selling your first 21 window??? Does this seem wierd to anyone else?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=117583

Where are your pics?

sound fishy
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me put minds to ease.
The one you see in the classifieds is one I had just picked up.
The reason I ask about selling price is because the one you see there for sale by me was the first bus I have ever owned. I didn't even try to bargain with the seller because I know how expensive these things can be even for a moderately decent one. I wanted it bad. I may have overpaid or underpaid. This is why I posted a question regarding what I should expect to pay for a bus in the condition mentioned. I could afford to wait for answers because I already have one and the one in question wasn't going anywhere.

Anyhow, I have it now, so I'm putting the one I picked up recently up for sale. Nothing fishy going on. Just trying to look out for number one and trying not step in number two.

ghiafreek
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what approach you used and who put a figure on the table first. Then I'm interested in seeing it and what you paid for it.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Fishy.
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this - you sell your 21 window for the same price you just bought this one for! I'm betting you got it for under $2k. Not hating - just guessing. Smile

BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanw3 wrote:
How about this - you sell your 21 window for the same price you just bought this one for! I'm betting you got it for under $2k. Not hating - just guessing. Smile

Sure, that sounds reasonable. Anybody in here want to sell me $4000 for $2000? I can send a Paypal payment immediately...

Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously it's ridiculous - just making the point that he knows enough to buy the new one cheap and sell the old one high. Wink Didn't need a whole thread to learn that. Just feeling like I went on a date with a hot girl only to find out she's a man!!! I need a shower now.

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanw3 wrote:
obviously it's ridiculous - just making the point that he knows enough to buy the new one cheap and sell the old one high. Wink Didn't need a whole thread to learn that. Just feeling like I went on a date with a hot girl only to find out she's a man!!! I need a shower now.

lol
6D2
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanw3 wrote:

thanks I was about to eat dinner too.... Embarassed Shocked
The SBS #62

Red Hot Ad Specialties & Stuff...
Shirts and hoodies for shows or clubs.. we ship world wide...
www.pottymouthpromos.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: