Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BusDepot Donating 25% of Profits to Haiti Earthquake Relief
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: BusDepot Donating 25% of Profits to Haiti Earthquake Relief Reply with quote

As some of you know, ever since I started The Bus Depot we've donated a portion of our income to humanitarian and social charities on an ongoing basis. (See http://busdepot.com/help.jsp#DONATIONS.) But once in a while a tragedy occurs that is so staggering in scale that it demands stronger action. The tragedy in Haiti is certainly one of those cases. The Red Cross estimates that there are 50,000 dead, and 3 million injured or homeless. This among a people already so desparately poor that they live on an average of $270 a year.

To do our part, the Bus Depot will donate 25% of our net profit on your Bus Depot order to earthquake relief in Haiti, thru the end of the month. This is, of course, over and above our other charitable donations. To encourage participation by our employees, I have also instituted a policy whereby the Bus Depot will match any employee donations dollar for dollar.

For those who wish to donate directly, I have also placed links on our site to two nonprofits that the Bus Depot donates to - Doctors Without Borders (www.doctorswithoutborders.org) and AmeriCares (www.americares.org). Of course there are many worthy organizations, but we chose those particular ones because they are top rated by Charity Navigator, which ranks nonprofits based on the percentage of each dollar that actually goes to the cause rather than salaries or overhead.

Remember, there is no such thing as too small a donation. It's cumulative; even the tiniest drop helps fill the bucket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet another reason to shop with BusDepot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Ron.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what Ron posted, my assumption is that he's giving money to the people bringing doctors and bandages, and not to the Hatian government directly. I too wouldn't do that.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the funds will go to Doctors Without Borders and AmeriCares. Both have volunteer relief workers at the scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, thanks for you & Busdepot taking this step,

I've passed the info along to our regional club members and will be making a purchase myself shortly.

Dan Stevens
President
VW Club of Central New York
www.vwccny.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin clean up performed.

Please don't debate the political merits of donating to Haiti in this thread.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: