Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't wait to get saterted
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Can't wait to get saterted Reply with quote

I’ve had my ’74 Type 1 since high school. This is how it looked the last time I drove it. That was in spring of ’99. I took it apart to fix one thing that summer. The further I took it apart, the more I found that I wanted to fix. Next thing I knew, it was a complete redo.

I got married the following winter, and the bug hasn’t been touched since. With new bills, responsibility, and a new house, there was not much time (or money) left for my bug.

My wife and I were talking about the future. She’s been wanting kids for some time now, and I’m just finally coming around to the idea. We decided that we are going to start trying this winter for a spring baby. My wife doesn’t want me to regret taking on this extra responsibility, which I’m sure I won’t. She asked me if there was anything I would like to do before we have a baby. I said I would like to try skiing once, and finish my bug. I just threw the bug in there to see her reaction. We’re going skiing next month, and I’ve been given the green light to go balls out and get the bug done. Then she asked me if I would mind finishing her wagon (’65 Belair) too. Would I mind Shocked ?. I'd love to.

I’m diggin’ up all my parts and starting to locate the stuff I need and don’t have. Hopefully I will start as soon as the weather breaks. If anyone’s interested, I will keep you posted on my progress.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 4 - '74 412
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you need anything. I have some late beetle parts and alot of cool tools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I'm at so far. When I did this car the first time, I welded in a center console that came down from the front of the dash and then went all the way to the back seat area. The bondo was all cracked, and the welds were popping loose so I decided to cut it all out and start over. Also welded up the defrost holes in the middle of the dash and welded in the steering column support on the right hand side Twisted Evil .

Since I don't have a back seat, my front seats are lower and further back. I used to always have to reach forward to shift gears. Because of this, I decided to move the shifter mount back 6" for easier access. Watch out for the finger in that one picture Rolling Eyes .

Type 4 - '74 412
ghop78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - if you need anything for that 65 belair wagon give me a call. I work for Hubbards Impala Parts in NC. 1-800-846-7252 ext. 616. You can also see our website at www.impalaparts.com - I'm the marketing guy here but i still know a good amount about the big cars. If you have any questions PM me or call.
Greg
1973 1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted, i'd like to see how you get on Cool

being as though everyone is being helpful, i'll offer you an elephant foot rear light if you want it Laughing Wink
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, ghop78, I need a rear passenger side window for the wagon.

1303S, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with the lights I have. Razz
Type 4 - '74 412
ghop78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now they're not making side windows for that year car. You can call Richards @ 336-857-2222. He runs a pre-1972 salvage yard and has lots of impalas. Dont know he has any v-dubs though... Good luck on your rides.
ghop
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, I'll check it out.
Type 4 - '74 412
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: