Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Swap Meet
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
projectoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Porsche Swap Meet Reply with quote

I think that Porsche swap meet this weekend in Costa Mesa was the worst ever. Bad, Bad turnout. Oh and by the way does anyone know what happened to the $10.00 they were collecting? They said charity, but no one knew which one ( Orange County Childrens something?????). No signs about the $10.00 or the charity, and when asked out of 4 people collecting the cash, we got 4 differant answers. I think it was just a case of rich Porsche guys collecting money as if its still one of those college frat parties.,,,, Sad. Anyone go? "They were great deals to be found"!!!!

***On the other hand the OCTO show was greaaaaaaaat.
Rollo Tomasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ; I flew from South Mexico, very dessaponting. the weather didnt help a lot either. but that didnt stop the Type 2 guys to give a better show and swap for less money.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was wet. There was not anything really "that" interesting other than meeting old friends. I remember a couple of years ago it rained. That was much better even though it was wet. In fact it rained harder a few years ago.

We bought a few items but no great finds.

I was sort of amused that they charged $10 for that small industrial parking lot. I think the Pomona swap meet is around that price and a much, much better venue with a better selection of stuff. I think I will go to Pomona again sometime.
Widetrack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Swap Meet Reply with quote

The Lit meet at the Hilton was great. Glad I got to go. Hoped to find more things at the swap meet but just didn't happen. Thanks for the vendors like Dave that went inspite of the weather. Flew in from Dallas for the first time so have nothing to compare it to. Glad I went just the same. DG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pmcnulty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Porsche Swap Meet & Charity info Reply with quote

Some great comments and e-mails coming in regarding the swap meet in Costa Mesa, CA. yesterday. Buyers and sellers were saying it was one of the best in a long time. "I sold my whole truck load of parts" and "I got just the pre-A parts I needed at a great deal" were just some of the comments I heard. A great event by all accounts, even if the weather was less than perfect. Wet indeed and it certainly hurt the attendance. However, we raised some money and a good portion of the proceeds will go to the Orange County School District’s, Lighting the Future Scholarship. Last year we were able to give about $ 15,000 to The Technology for kids foundation. Thanks for all who helped in so many ways to make it a success. We'll continue to do this on the heels of the LA Toy & Lit Show to complete what is becoming known as The Big So. Cal. Porsche Weekend. Ever since Dunkel's Event has gone and the All Euro Long Beach swap died, people have asked for somebody to do something. Well, a few of us did and we hope it is appreciated. We learn a little more each year and hope to keep improving it. Amazing how some do nothing and only complain. We are an all volunteer army of about 5 guys trying to put on an event for all those who came from all over the world to enjoy. The link to this years charity info is here. Go to the 2001 annual report for a good description of what it is all about:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&am...mp;spell=1

In both cases, we let the land lord tell us what charity he wanted in return for a free venue. If you want the link e-mailed to you off line, I would be happy to do so. Over the last few months, we have posted and passed on to just about every Porsche site that we knew of, the info on the particulars. Here is a sample form an early Feb. update:

http://www.356clubbbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=1814

We had over 60 pre paid vendors; Stoddards, Performance Prods, Pelican Parts, etc., real businesses! They paid $60 and up depending on booth space needed. Swap spots were $40. Walk-ins were $10. For this year, if over $12,000 raised is a bust, I'll live with that every year and I know the charity of choice will appreciate it. Try getting all the permits, renting fencing and porta potties, hiring security, getting a caterer booked, buy some cones, safety vests, round up volunteers, try to promote it and get them to show. Oh.., and don't worry., you'll always get one nut who thinks it is a rip off, that he got screwed outta ten bucks and will bad mouth the whole thing. I'd love to know how many hours these type of people put in as a volunteer at any car event. If you want to help improve it, by all means, please come join us and help out as we are all about including and not excluding people.

Pete McNulty, Co Organizer & Volunteer

Last edited by pmcnulty on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great time. I was one of the vendors who was able to clear out my garage of many left over parts from my build. I was able to pay off the modest entry fee and have some cash in my pocket. Ya the weather sucked, but if you can make it better than you aught to market your skills. It was too bad it rain I am sure it kept the cars from coming out. At this point nothing will top the Dunkel show, but were are you going to get a venue like that? Large facility, great weather, etc. Hopefully we can have another one soon, but I am confident something like that cannot happen every year. It's was that big. Thanks for stepping up and hosting/organizing it.

Saddlesore
retrotech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really discouraged about the weather predictions, but I got in line at 5:30 anyway. I must admit I was praying for a dry day. Then I realized how many people were praying for a dry Oscars day. Prayer works, because what suppose to by a hard rain, was a drizzle to light showers. I was amazed at how many shoppers & buyers were there. I would have sold more on a sunny day, but I did WAY better than I expected. Its a can't miss event for me every year, and worth the drive from Oregon. Thanks to all that helped make it happen, and keep it a PORSCHE event!
leero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rich Porsche frat guys can collect my $10 bucks every year!! GREAT Job and keep doing them rain or shine ....Keep the faith. RBL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: