Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

adjustible beam and drop spindles
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
askSTEEVESdtcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: adjustible beam and drop spindles Reply with quote

do i have to put an adjustible beam on my 71 ghia if i am going to put drop spindles on it? Will the tires rub the car if i dont use at least a 2 inch narrowed beam or can i use the stock beam? i am only doing a 2 inch drop with the spindles.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2-1/2" dropped spindles and a stock beam and

no rubbing issues at all. The tires on the front are 135's 15"
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet that a narrower axle would be necessary. The fit of the stock tire is kind of tight to begin with and going lower would probably cause rubbing on the top of the sidewalls. I would also bet even money that wider wheel / tire combos would only make things worse.

I think the real question is how to determine how much narrower the axle needs to be. I've seen articles in the VW mags on how to put in the axles but they rarely mention how to determine the axle dimensions.
karmann57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to run a stock size or wider tire, or wheels that are wider than stock or with a different offset then I would suggest looking into a narrowed beam. If you want to run a smaller tire (ie 135/15) then you should be able to get away with a stock width beam.

Don't use adjusters in addition to the drop spindles unless you want to go really low. If you do go with a narrowed beam most will come with adjusters already, set it as high as it will go and you can always lower it if you feel it necessary.

Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
askSTEEVESdtcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses everyone i think i will be getting the narrowed beam then just to be sure of no issues.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: