Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

headligh switch gets hot
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: headligh switch gets hot Reply with quote

When my headlights are on i can feel from the knob on the dash that the switch seems to get hot. everything woks as far as the lights go. Just wondering why the switch is getting hot and if that is normal. (It`s a 6 volt system)

thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contacts in switch are loose and generating resistance.
Rebuild switch.
Must open back of switch, clean contacts, and solder the internal connections.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do it the easy way and buy a new switch
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
James1v1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Headlight Switch Reply with quote

I had to change out my headlight switch. It got hot and the headlights would cut out. I had to run for awhile with an aligator clamp jumper. It can be difficult to find an original switch for the older cars. After reading these posts I might have to tear the old one apart to see what it looks like.
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: HL Switch Reply with quote

www.mattsparts.com

We have NOS oval HL swicthes in stock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Volks,
Try the type2.com library for the headlight switch repair article we helped to write up. Also good thing to solder all the riveted connections in the fuse box up.
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I`ll check all the conections first and see if that helps. BTW the switch does get hot all the time while the lights are on whether that be HI or Low beam.
My car is a 56 and all the wiring is original. Looks to be in good shape however I have found that when I cut off some of the covering the copper inside is pretty green so I`m gussing there is some resistance because of this.

Thanks!
richburris6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old wires are oxidized and it causes a surge coupled with the six volt system causes problems. Probably the original cause for car manufacturers to go to 12 v. Replace it with all new and it will be as good as new, no pun intended
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a pair of 6 volt H4 bulb assemblys in my '55, talk about HOT, the switch would get somewhat warm normaly with the standard bulbs but with the H4s eventually my dimmer switch on the floor heated up and the lube in there would melt and then reharden after driving at night resulting in no lights at all unless you pumped that floor dimmer for a while, I took apart the dimmer and the grease in there was more like wax, cleaned everything up and got it working as good as new again, I had planned on installing an extra large hot wire from the batery and a relay somewhere to take the load off of the old switches but havent bothered yet since I dont drive it at night much anymore, my '55 is euro spec and had a weird early switch in it, was bigger around than the american switches, eventually I had to replace it with a NOS one when the screw terminals burnt up and froze in place, never have seen another early euro switch
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
vw56german
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While checking all the connections at your switch and cleaning up all the terminals, dont forget to look at the ground side too. Bad grounds can cause a multitude of troubles too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: