Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've been reading about baja's
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: I've been reading about baja's Reply with quote

I've been reading about baja's all morning since i've been so consumed with learning about baja's. Everyone says buy a project that someone else quit, but also i've read that sometimes you don't know it's far worse than what you first thought? So i've heard it's better to buy something started than to start from scratch...but me i beleive it's better to know what you have and the work you do on it than to have to figure someone elses headache out.....IMO....Bo
FreakingGomer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a running drivig project, for like 6-700 bucks, came with spare parts and all that good stuff. I just finished putting the fiberglass on and ran it for a summer, and now I am upgrading as I can afford, and I would recomend going the same route, because if its already cut/comes with parts and whatnot most of your money can be spent on upgrades vs. getting parts.

One thing I have found is that guys with baja's always have a garage full of parts to accompany them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4play
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ben very lucky bying cars people gave up on or could not finish.thay did not know what thay had , and knew less about VW than I do.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just alot easyer to pick up where someone else left off, and you wont be ruining a decent car, mine had been rolled so i dident feel bad about it, but somepeople chop up nice bugs Evil or Very Mad
wolfpack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what if you want to make the car something of your own creation? because if feel if you take off of what someone else started to me you finish there dreams not your own...?....just my twisted way of thinking..Bo
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfpack wrote:
but what if you want to make the car something of your own creation? because if feel if you take off of what someone else started to me you finish there dreams not your own...?....just my twisted way of thinking..Bo

itsnot like that, there is only so much you can do to make a baja unique. and its not about looks, if you want to build something than do it, if you want to just asseble something than buy a car with all the basic work done, if you want to just have a cool car without all the work just buy a really expensive one like Dr awesome and not be content with it.

if i would have known my stuff before i bought my car i wouldent have started with a standard and converted, i would have kept the $500 car drive it and spend the $1500 i put into it on a off road project.

if you want something unique i have a gutted Ghia you could buy off of me for cheap as a baja project, not alot of people do that. Cool

heres what you need to look for, something like this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=321002
rickosuave1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i did

-got a $400 running, stock 1600, 1969 beetle with front and rear end damage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-stripped off the bumpers, fenders, interior panels, and did some cutting

-spent $300 on a good baja kit

-spent (maybe) $200-$300 in parts and miscellaneous (sp?) things, and some black spray paint

total: ABOUT $1000

this is what I have now:

and its all black now
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfpack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats true about dr awesome not very happy with what he has...yeah need to sit back and really think about it...bo
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I've been reading about baja's Reply with quote

wolfpack wrote:
I've been reading about baja's all morning since i've been so consumed with learning about baja's. Everyone says buy a project that someone else quit, but also i've read that sometimes you don't know it's far worse than what you first thought? So i've heard it's better to buy something started than to start from scratch...but me i beleive it's better to know what you have and the work you do on it than to have to figure someone elses headache out.....IMO....Bo

I have to agree. Doing it yourself is much better.
I would elaborate but my battery backup is making strange noises.....Sad
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks good kid! i like it
its just that with a bug that nice you could have turned it over for way more than $400, and worked with another project, but whats done is done run with it!

i dident feel bad about cutting mine up, it was pretty bad

rickosuave1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runslikeapenguin wrote:
it looks good kid! i like it
its just that with a bug that nice you could have turned it over for way more than $400, and worked with another project, but whats done is done run with it!

i didnt feel bad about cutting mine up, it was pretty bad

well...i had the full intent of turning mine into a baja...i dont like streetcars and had no plans to turn it over for a profit...i wanted something to off road besides my truck and quad and a baja was the perfect fix

edt: also, i know you cant tell, but half the car is bondo lol and it was spray painted
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subybaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i dont like streetcars

I hear ya! If I wanted a drafty, slow, leaky, unreliable street car, I'd drive a Pinto. I want a simple, fast, lightweight enduro sports car, so I've got a baja.
Ahem. Wink
I think what you buy should be determined by what you want to end up with.
-If you realistically plan on a car like DrA, Jowlz, or SHMO, and will really spend that many hamburgers, buy an abandoned high-dollar project. No-one ever gets their money back out of shiny stuff, so you can get a good price on Wilwood, Mendeola, SAW, etc parts. You will pay more for this kind of 'project' though.
-If you expect only a daily driver baja (lifted a little, a basic cage, maybe disks and a bus trans), then it's easier to start from a clean stocker like Rickosuave did.
In the middle is what I bought years ago- the abused 'Git er Done' baja. Front beam cut/turned so hard it had no suspension. Rear quarters bashed in from hitting things with tree bars. Rear firewall punched in where the cage mounted. Jumped so many times that the torsion housing outer-end mounts to the pan were broken.
So I say go one extreme or the other- build it from scratch, or buy a pro job. Avoid other people's learning experiences.
wolfpack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'll get it and see where it takes me....right now not losing anything off that deal for free...i do alot of horse trading with guys around here so it might not cost me to much either....i've always got something someone wants or vice versa......bo
rickosuave1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i do have a pic after a coat of black paint and some runnin thru the desert... lots of bondo+lots of whoops=fallen off rear bonnet Mad

runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickosuave1987 wrote:
i guess i do have a pic after a coat of black paint and some runnin thru the desert... lots of bondo+lots of whoops=fallen off rear bonnet Mad

tear it up man, thats the only way to go, have fun with it now as inspriation, ive almost lost all of that i need to go off roading again.........
subybaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pic shows what those rear, uh, 'bonnets' are good for. Leave it off and mount the plate to your cage.
(seriously- what is that stupid thing supposed to be for? It doesn't cover the engine for legal purposes, airflow doesn't matter with an open engine bay...please tell me it's not for looks, like a Honduh wing!)
Dave18UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someof thjem you can mount a small oil cooler Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
wolfpack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that flat black looks pretty decent....I haven't decided what baja kit i want yet....bo
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subybaja wrote:
You pic shows what those rear, uh, 'bonnets' are good for. Leave it off and mount the plate to your cage.
(seriously- what is that stupid thing supposed to be for? It doesn't cover the engine for legal purposes, airflow doesn't matter with an open engine bay...please tell me it's not for looks, like a Honduh wing!)

im ditching mine when i make a new bumper this summer and put it through to the fire wall, i dont like the looks but it looks stupid without it.
hotratz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subybaja wrote:

They're just for looks......like a honduh wing......

My ZR2 Members Page
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: