Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stupid question about fine tuning a new clutch assembly?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: stupid question about fine tuning a new clutch assembly? Reply with quote

Embarassed Now, this is embarrassing to me, because I should know better.

I always get confused on how things should be if I take to long to finish the project. You know what I mean!

Basically, I had to pull the engine inorder to replace my busted up clutch cross shaft, bushings, throw out bearing, and clips. I believe this was all caused by a broken clip? The disc and pressure plate appear o.k. Anyway........

After assembling the new parts, and reconnecting my clutch cable to the clutch lever (this is where I'm confused), and went up to the clutch pedal thinking I could adjust it at this point to the required 1/2 inch play and that just isn't possible. It seems to me that I should be able to do it, but I'm guessing it isn't possible because the clutch isn't actually engauged? Am I right, or just stupid? It's o.k. I won't be offended.

I hate these long, cold winter's in the mountains! Especially the salt they put out on the roads! I guess my bus is better off not being able to get out on those roads! No way! I want my bus back! It's time to fix it!

Anybody know any better?

Thanks for listening and possibly even helping!

Todd aka. Gratefulbuses
West Jefferson, NC.
67 (project) westy
69 westy

"Atleast I'm enjoying the ride!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Where's the stupid answer? Reply with quote

Maybe I sounded stupid!

I went up to the clutch pedel to see how much play was in it. I didn't actually think that, that's where you adjusted the tension/play. I know that's done at the wing nut!

Just making sure everyone understands that I'm not a complete idoit.

This really is a stupid question. Samba has solved all kinds of harder stuff for me.

Always thankful!

Todd aka Gratefulbuses
67 (project) Westy
69 Westy

"Atleast I'm enjoying the ride!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myoldbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Todd,

If I read you right, you're trying to adjust the clutch before you put the engine back in. You can't do it this way. Loosen up the wingnut, put the engine back in, and then adjust it. You need the throwout bearing to push up against the pressure plate to establish the 1/2" of play.

Good luck,

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: