Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who else gets the "want to sell this"
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Who else gets the "want to sell this" Reply with quote

Unfortunately one day i had my ghia in the driveway messing around with it when all of a sudden these two guys come out of nowhere to ask if it is for sale, i politely said no and went about my business. The next day i find a note on it asking "want to sell this?". I move it back into the backyard and now i get notes for the other one...............need to keep the dog in the front yard from now on. :2gunfire:
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first week I had my bug I was asked if it was for sale while filling up. Then a couple weeks later I was asked again but haven't been asked since then. Of course I said NO both times with a big grin on my face.
Wink
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they might be asking but tell them a price and they go running for their wives. I've got two for sale right now and 2 of them said " well let me check with my 'WIFE'". Guess what that means? NO SALE!! Bet they are just out kicking tires.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a pic so you can see what my '61 Westy looks like. I'm fueling up when a couple walk up and the guy asked "is it for sale". Me... 'no'. "How much would the old 'Van' be if it were for sale?". Me...'no less then 19 and a half' and thinking it's a Bus not a 'Van' fool!

He asks "with the matching trailer?". Me...'I suppose'! He takes a quick look around and says....get this........"That's a fair price I'll give you $2500 for it!"

Me with big smile 'Thanks but it's not for sale!' His wife whispers to him "Honey.....he means $19,500". He says "Oh yeah, sorry!"

Made my day!

Lou
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Weekender on a trailer to get the VIN verified when some guy came up asking if it was for sale. I told him no, and he goes on about a "father and son project". I went back inside the office and he was all over the trailer inspecting every inch of the Bus.

Drove my 1964 Ghia from Bremerton, Washington to Roscoe, Illinois in 1991. Some guy in Roscoe tried to buy my Ghia for his 16-year old while I was gassing the car. Um yeah Rolling Eyes
peterericb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get offers on the ghia all the time... once when I was driving my OG 68 bug someone flagged me down to see if I wanted to buy a parts car ?!
suckmyexhaust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rail buggy was in a show in the downtown district. Me and some friends are talking while I clean her off from the drive in. The really nice lady asked me how much it would be to build one. I shot her a price and then she asked how much mine was. Shot her a price again thinking she'll go away. She brought her husband back... come to find out it was the new Mrs. Germain family [big car dealer.] He had a check book in hand too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before Christmas while leaving the "Sports Bar", a drunk comes over and starts telling me this story about how he had a "van" way back when and how much pot they smoke in it blah blah blah. So then he asked if I was willing to sell my phat truck to him. I told him "I just got it, it ain't for sale and if it was I'd take $10k for it." So he says "I'l give you $7k for it right now!" Shocked I told him again that it wasn't for sale. After a little while of this going back and forth I said, "Look, I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week. How's it I'll give you a call when I get back?" He gave me his business card and we left it at that. Apparently he's a realty lender of some sort. Think

Anyway, so I sent him an email when I got back "refreshing" his memory about the "night in question". I said I'd consider his offer if he was still interested but if he did not reply then I'd take that as his being no longer interested in it. Needless to say, he hasn't replied. Rolling Eyes Also, I am not going to take a check from anybody, even if it was Donald Trump himself. It's cash on hand or nothing! Razz This guy being as drunk as he was at the time, if he actually had the cash he would have coughed it out right there and then. Now that would have made it a whole different story altogether. Twisted Evil
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suckmyexhaust wrote:
She brought her husband back... come to find out it was the new Mrs. Germain family [big car dealer.] He had a check book in hand too.

So did you sell it? Confused
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get the "Is it for sale" my standard reply is "Everything is for sale, but your going to have to pay me enough to forget how much I like it." Then I shoot off an insanely high price. I haven't gotten any takers yet, they usually get the point.
2276 turbo
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first days I drove the bug I was offered 4 or 5K (geesh I'm getting too old to remember). Then while getting my hair done a girl walks in and asks whose bug that it? I said mine. The girl walks around the car and inspects every nook and cranny Then comes back in and asks if its for sale. I said no. Apparently someone had stolen her Super and now she was in the market for an earlier Bug. She said she would pay anything I asked within reason, but again I told her it was not for sale. She gave me her phone number and said if I was ever going to sell to let her know first. I now have a list of about six "Call me Firsts" if I do ever decide to sell, which isn't going to happen.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Henry (johnshenry here) wrote up one of the best that I've seen. I don't want to copy and paste since he has a "copyright" on it, but here's the link to it.
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfsale.htm

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil that link was great, i guess if we all thought of it that way we would definately say NO to people asking if it was for sale, or else the price would be over $100k Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the "Is it for sale" question. I simply reply HELL NO. What I can't stand is when people tell me they have one exactly like mine, and ask if I would be interested in buying their turd.
volks67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugman55 wrote:
When I get the "Is it for sale" my standard reply is "Everything is for sale, but your going to have to pay me enough to forget how much I like it." Then I shoot off an insanely high price. I haven't gotten any takers yet, they usually get the point.

ha ha, I use that line too...."everything in life is for sale".... and my 67 is in need of some serious work...but vw's are very common around here.... so I guess even a project looks good to some. But your are so right in saying, "your going to have to pay me enough to forget how much I like it"... ha ha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i don't want to sell it. i want to be buried in it!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People dont even know what they are out here.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flagged down and asked to sell. After saying no 3 times the guy finally insisted on a number. So I did some quick math and told the guy it would take about 4 large for me to even think about it. He pulled out his checkbook!

I told him that was just for me to think. He gave me his number and went on. About 2 weeks later I bought a project car and called the guy to see if he was interested in it. He said he would rather just give me more money and take my driver. So I told him to bring me 5 and he said he would be there that weekend. He never showed up.

But thats OK, I sold the project to a guy that really wanted it and has room to do it right. I still have my driver and put the profit from the project it more cool stuff for my car. Hope to do the paint job as soon as it warms up a little.

<><
TC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: