Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding another fuse box?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

I would like to add, ground power distribution terminal block and fuse relay box block to my bug. Looking for recommendation & feedback. Is there a kit available for this upgrade?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

I’ll take a pic when I get home of the sub box the I added. All from Amazon
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

This is what I did. The relay is for my fuel pump. Clear plastic is of and at the bottom of the pic.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

I installed one of these fuse expansion blocks a year ago.
It hasn't let me down to date.
https://www.amazon.com/DaierTek-Indicator-Marine-W...&psc=1

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Depending on how much additional load (amps) you are drawing from this extra fuse box you may want to run a new dedicated wire from the battery terminal (or VR B+) to the front of the car as the source of power for the fuse box. I would add a fuse or circuit breaker just after this wire leaves the battery to protect the wire from shorts.

Even if you want this fuse box to be ignition switched powered, just add a relay in the wire coming directly from the battery and trigger the relay from one of the ignition switched fuses in your OE fuse box.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Depending on how much additional load (amps) you are drawing from this extra fuse box you may want to run a new dedicated wire from the battery terminal (or VR B+) to the front of the car as the source of power for the fuse box. I would add a fuse or circuit breaker just after this wire leaves the battery to protect the wire from shorts.

Even if you want this fuse box to be ignition switched powered, just add a relay in the wire coming directly from the battery and trigger the relay from one of the ignition switched fuses in your OE fuse box.

Thanks for the information.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

What I did for my '77 Beetle was to add the stock plastic fuse + relay holder from either a late '70's Rabbit, or from a mid '70's Beetle. Located it at the left front wheelwell next to the gas tank. Cut it down for 3 circuits. Wired in regular 4-pole "work" relays for driving lights, fog lights and dual horns. This was over 30 years ago so I don't remember if I added a dedicated 14-gauge power feed to the holder, though I likely did. I added regular VW 8 amp fuses for each of the 3 circuits. If you want, I'll go outside to the car and take a few photos.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
What I did for my '77 Beetle was to add the stock plastic fuse + relay holder from either a late '70's Rabbit, or from a mid '70's Beetle. Located it at the left front wheelwell next to the gas tank. Cut it down for 3 circuits. Wired in regular 4-pole "work" relays for driving lights, fog lights and dual horns. This was over 30 years ago so I don't remember if I added a dedicated 14-gauge power feed to the holder, though I likely did. I added regular VW 8 amp fuses for each of the 3 circuits. If you want, I'll go outside to the car and take a few photos.

Please post photos of your setup, when you have a chance.

02/76 Beetle sedan
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Since, Rome didn't post a photo of his setup. I going with this setup. I have plenty of good original wires harness from part cars I have saved over the years. I post more updates when I finish this project.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Before you proceed, here's my setup. I was going to add several more photos into my gallery submission of other things but seeing you want to get your setup going, will just post the single photo. Viewed looking straight down along the left edge of the hood opening. The early '70's Beetle relay holder is covered by the stock trunk cardboard flap. Each of the 3 relays is fed by a stock-style 8 amp fuse that is in the lower "step" of the relay holder and are not visible from this angle. Windshield washer reservoir with electric pump to the rear, which came from the trunk-mounted location for a Scirocco/Rabbit or possible Golf gen1 rear washer setup. I installed all this over 30 years ago.

Trunk had lots of stuff in it and it was getting late in the day so I did not clear them out to get a side shot. Hope you understand the concept.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Before you proceed, here's my setup. I was going to add several more photos into my gallery submission of other things but seeing you want to get your setup going, will just post the single photo. Viewed looking straight down along the left edge of the hood opening. The early '70's Beetle relay holder is covered by the stock trunk cardboard flap. Each of the 3 relays is fed by a stock-style 8 amp fuse that is in the lower "step" of the relay holder and are not visible from this angle. Windshield washer reservoir with electric pump to the rear, which came from the trunk-mounted location for a Scirocco/Rabbit or possible Golf gen1 rear washer setup. I installed all this over 30 years ago.

Trunk had lots of stuff in it and it was getting late in the day so I did not clear them out to get a side shot. Hope you understand the concept.

Thanks for posting a photo. How do you change or check the fuses?

02/76 Beetle sedan
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

This is the original relay & fuse holder with which I started (Ron G gallery), listed as from a '71 SuperBeetle-

I already had this holder at home from gutting a '72 Super parts car a few years before I bought my '77 Beetle. I cut off the left 2 relay positions of the panel, just to the left of the black relay; and "I think" somehow inverted the lower "step" when I cut up the holder and reglued it so that the fuses were facing upwards and in plain view when seen in the car. I need to take another photo this weekend for you with the trunk area cleared so you can see the fuses.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
This is the original relay & fuse holder with which I started (Ron G gallery), listed as from a '71 SuperBeetle-

I already had this holder at home from gutting a '72 Super parts car a few years before I bought my '77 Beetle. I cut off the left 2 relay positions of the panel, just to the left of the black relay; and "I think" somehow inverted the lower "step" when I cut up the holder and reglued it so that the fuses were facing upwards and in plain view when seen in the car. I need to take another photo this weekend for you with the trunk area cleared so you can see the fuses.

Thanks, for the details. I have few of those 70's fuse boxes in my spare parts bins. I'm not good at glueing plastic parts. I was thinking of installing the fuse box on the glove box. But I don't think its going to fit right.

02/76 Beetle sedan
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Adding another fuse box? Reply with quote

I mounted one under my backseat for my heated seats, 4 circuit total, I only use two of the circuits, one per side (10A fuses).

The power to the terminal block is switched through the relay below it and there is a 15A in line fuse between the battery and the relay.

The relay is activated only when the key is on, and as I don't use the heated seats for most of the season, I added an additional switch under the driver's seat to turn the whole circuit off, regardless of the key position.

I then created a wiring schematic for the modification.

I tend to over engineer things, but it's fun.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: