Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Purdy case there Jim.

I too want to know what the WD-40 does. Looking forward to more updates.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Purdy case there Jim.

Thanks man! I do not know. I called Chris about the transmission case getting a dull look to it and wanted to find out why. He said something about the metal is still porous and will continue to be. He stated that the case will breathe in moisture, if allowed and that will eventually defeat the Chromate coating, since that is it whole purpose. It is sacrificial! So, to add longevity to the coating, you can spray on WD40! I was shocked, and said I was. He then told me a story about a case in one of his cars, which is Chromated. The first time he Chromated it he did nothing to it and it lost its luster after a short period. BTW he races cars. So the engines are in the race cars. He then redid the parts but started a regiment with WD40. It has been a few decades since he has started this and the components that were Chromated are still looking great! So, he suggested I do the same! I said, “No problem!”

That’s as much as I can tell you. I have done no research on it. But I can tell you that this case was Chromated by VW and the bellhousing side, was all oily and protected from the elements. It still had a gold finish on it! I bet it was from the oil leaking out the seals!

Also, the interior was still lightly Chromated still. So, maybe the oil inhibits the penetration of Oxygen! That has to be it! Sounds like a good night of research for me!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
txoval wrote:
Are you planning on stock build? I might have missed it.

When I built my 36hp engine for my 54, I sure wished I increased the stroke.

Case looks great…any other machine work?

Stock. I want a fully stock, or as close as I can afford, Bug.

No other machine work. I contemplated machining for cam bearings but all of the journals were spot on stock. Hardly any wear. And that case was run hard, in a dirt field! So then I thought, “Why?” It ain’t broke, so why go fix’in it!” The crank(s) are at DPR right now. I had 4 of them. Figured I would get them turned and polished, pick the best 2 and sell the others for more build money! I have been budgeting the rest of the project and the money is going to run out shortly. Mainly due to the economy and what it has done in the past 5years! So, selling a few things here and there ought to make it go for a bit longer! Maybe I will be able to finish it!

Thanks for looking in and stirring the pot! Maybe, just maybe, somewhere down the road, I will get sick of the 36. I know I did when I was 18. But realistically this Bug’s life will be driving to the grocery store, once a week. Maybe I will drive it to a few estimate appointments that are close. And also maybe a few shows, like the one at the H.B. pier, every year. That is what it will be doing. That is what I fire see in its future!

Heck, maybe when I get too old (if I make it) and after I give it to one of the girls, one of them can get me to build something with a little bit of pep! That would be fun!

Thanks for making me smile this morning! I have to go back to full time work, starting today. Vacation is over!

I’m calling bs Jimbo, my money says it will be driven to a brewery or two, lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Guilty! But, I do like walking to those. You know how many HBPDs go up and down that street!

Thanks for calling me out! F’N Awesome!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Update time! Life has been very busy! I did spend a full day, last Saturday and just have not had time to post anything. So, last Saturday’s adventure.

Pulled the case out and looked it over again. I can not begin to tell you how awesome it is to have a great looking case! It really is AWESOME! Never have I splurged on such an item. So, my starting point.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then broke out a set of Klokermann bearings and tried them in the case. Perfect fit!

I went through and cleaned the oil galleys really well, with pain thinner and a bottle brush. Then threaded all the holes and installed brass plugs.

I then turned my attention to installing all the studs. Which meant cleaning them all and threading them in. In most cases, I had to double nut the studs.
Unwrap them.

Wire wheeling them all.

And then, one by one, I have a case again!

Once I was done with installing all of the studs, I turned my attention to the fuel pump.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got a few more minutes to update the build. The fuel pump was in need of some attention. Here it is, fresh out of the box!

Remove the 6 top cover screws.

Then gently tapped he seam to break the varnish bond that had formed.

That revealed the flakes of varnish and he diaphragm.

Then the big spring in behind the rocker arm has to be removed to allow the diaphragm to be removed. Started with cleaning out the grease.

Then I compressed the diaphragm and removed the hooked lever.

And here is the diaphragm and the bigger spring.

Onto the top cover. I already removed one screw. Almost forgot to click a picture.

Removed the 2 remaining screws and then removed the cover.

There are now to hexagonal pieces and different spring under each of them. These are check valves, to ensure the gas flows in the correct direction.

Then you remove the last hexagon and spring. Under that one there is a small brass piece with 3 legs. Remove that and then clean all of it.

Then side of the levers and the return spring. Got to get back in there to clean.

Once out, filing the housings flat is key to a great rebuild. See all the untouched areas. Need to make those low spots shinny.

Same goes for the block connection. This one was bent by a /16”.

Until next time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:
Purdy case there Jim.

Thanks man! I do not know. I called Chris about the transmission case getting a dull look to it and wanted to find out why. He said something about the metal is still porous and will continue to be. He stated that the case will breathe in moisture, if allowed and that will eventually defeat the Chromate coating, since that is it whole purpose. It is sacrificial! So, to add longevity to the coating, you can spray on WD40!

Another product to consider is Gibbs:

https://www.gibbsbrand.info/car.html

Years ago, a retailer used to promote Gibbs for protecting magnesium. Instead of painting magnesium wheels, he would just coat them with Gibbs.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

X2 about Gibbs.

IMO, penetrates well and lasts longer than WD40.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice work as always..
what did you use to seal the case oil plugs?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:
Purdy case there Jim.

Thanks man! I do not know. I called Chris about the transmission case getting a dull look to it and wanted to find out why. He said something about the metal is still porous and will continue to be. He stated that the case will breathe in moisture, if allowed and that will eventually defeat the Chromate coating, since that is it whole purpose. It is sacrificial! So, to add longevity to the coating, you can spray on WD40!

Another product to consider is Gibbs:

https://www.gibbsbrand.info/car.html

Years ago, a retailer used to promote Gibbs for protecting magnesium. Instead of painting magnesium wheels, he would just coat them with Gibbs.

Thank you! I will look into that.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
X2 about Gibbs.

IMO, penetrates well and lasts longer than WD40.

Thank you for a great idea! That might be a longer solution to replace the WD40 and the smell that is attached to it. Oh, and the cast off all over the concrete as well!

I will run it by Chris, since he has way more knowledge than I could gain in a few decades. In all of my reading, the Magnesium has to be allowed to breathe. If it cannot breathe, bad stuff happens, inside the material. So, some questions and research are required for this. Chris stated to me he sprays down his race engines (which are Chromated Magnesium) once a year. He went on to say that he highly recommends it for the longevity of the case and Chromate!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Nice work as always..

Hey Seth! I have not sealed them yet. I have been researching this the last few days and I believe Loctite 545 is what is required in this “case” (get it!). Reading the manufacturers applications, strength and weakness report, it seems like the perfect product.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
esde wrote:
Nice work as always..

Hey Seth! I have not sealed them yet. I have been researching this the last few days and I believe Loctite 545 is what is required in this “case” (get it!). Reading the manufacturers applications, strength and weakness report, it seems like the perfect product.

545 is perfect.
Can also use 564. Whichever you use, don't forget to seal the head studs when they go in. Doesn't hurt to do oil pump studs, as they're below the oil level.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
esde wrote:
Nice work as always..

545 is perfect.
Can also use 564. Whichever you use, don't forget to seal the head studs when they go in. Doesn't hurt to do oil pump studs, as they're below the oil level.

Got those all in with blue loctite. Only the oil galley plugs are left!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
In all of my reading, the Magnesium has to be allowed to breathe. If it cannot breathe, bad stuff happens, inside the material.

I'd like to see where you read that. Can you provide links?
It makes no sense to me. Of all the metals, Mg corrodes the easiest. Sealing out oxygen is the only way to stop the corrosion. Promoting the contact of oxygen with Mg by allowing it to "breathe" is the worst thing you can do.
Back in the late 60s and early 70s when some car makers sold actual magnesium wheels, every square mm of the surface was covered with paint to seal out the oxygen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
In all of my reading, the Magnesium has to be allowed to breathe. If it cannot breathe, bad stuff happens, inside the material.

I'd like to see where you read that. Can you provide links?
It makes no sense to me. Of all the metals, Mg corrodes the easiest. Sealing out oxygen is the only way to stop the corrosion. Promoting the contact of oxygen with Mg by allowing it to "breathe" is the worst thing you can do.
Back in the late 60s and early 70s when some car makers sold actual magnesium wheels, every square mm of the surface was covered with paint to seal out the oxygen.

Sure! I have been down the rabbit hole and have no good reason to return to it. But, you most certainly can go for it. Go to Google and type,
“Protecting automotive Magnesium case”.

Also;
http://www.aimspress.com/article/10.3934/matersci.2019.4.567

Not sure about Gibbs. I know nothing about it, but there ad picture has a decayed early VW transmission case in it!

And then there is the WW2VW site, full of info! It summarizes the reasoning very eloquently.

Sit back in a nice chair, drink at the ready and hit Google up. It is a deep rabbit hole!

Just a thought. Wheels are coated and n both sides. The engine case is with the Chromating process. Painting is only on one side. Big difference in protection.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Will you be installing a new fuel pump diaphragm, since your original one is likely very stiff?

A few years ago I rebuilt a later, 50-hp style pump. It was filthy on the inside with oxidation, and the diaphragm was stiff but not torn. I got rid of the oxidation with Lime-Away calcium cleaner, getting into the corners with Q-Tips and a wooden toothpick.

For the diaphragm I used a technique which my clever father taught me when I was a teenager- Immerse the diaphragm in brake fluid for 1/2 hour! It should soften the rubber material of the diaphragm. After that time gently press the diaphragm to see if it has softened: Hold your forefinger in a circle to your thumb (the "OK" gesture), place the diaphragm into the center opening so that the material sits on your fingers, and gently press down on the center of the diaphragm with your other hand. If it starts to deflect, place the diaphragm back into the brake fluid for another 15 minutes. Repeat, but put the diaphragm against your fingers the other way- "upside down" and press downward. You want to allow the flex/softening from the brake fluid to gently work in both directions.

After cleaning up my pump and also flat-sanding the flanges, I reassembled and installed it on my Ghia's 1600 engine with Weber 40 IDFs. I took along a known good pump in case the rebuilt one broke, but it ran well for a few hundred miles when I last drove it. Fast highway miles so that the pump actuator rod really gave the diaphragm a workout, not just low-revving around town driving.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Yep! Sure will be. Already purchased one. My fingers are crossed, hoping it fits well. If not….I guess I will have a go at reviving the old diaphragm! Never would have even considered “reviving” it until your post! Thanks for that knowledge!

I have already cleaned up the pump parts. The housing I shot with Walnut shells and it came out really nice! The remaining hardware is sitting in paint thinner, awaiting my return to the garage. I may take it all out and at least get it all cleaned up. We have a few weekends in a row that are planned out, yielding me no garage time. But sometimes I get a free minute or two. So let’s see what can be done over the next few weeks.

I really need to swing by DPR again and check in on my cranks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Don't forget to replace the big spring. I got caught out by that and ended up with very low fuel pressures.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Don't forget to replace the big spring. I got caught out by that and ended up with very low fuel pressures.

Don

Thanks Don! I am a little bit timid in replacing any of the springs. I have a strong lack of respect for our parts manufacturers. They have disappointed me for decades! But I guess they can fabricate a correct big spring. Thank you!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 88 of 89

Jump to: