Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 449, 450, 451  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
Gman73 wrote:
oh yeah... also fitted a bus shifter in the SB. its ridiculous

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’d like to do same
How do you like it?

I'm okay with it. I takes a little getting used to it, the wife said she could get used to it. also has the short shifter spacer in it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

It was clear and breezy this morning after last night's showers.

Checked Frankenbug's plug wires. Filed the points and scraped rotor & cap terminals.
Put 20 bucks' worth of premium in the tank and drove to the Esplanade.
Drivability noticeably improved. Off-idle flat spot is nearly gone.

One of these days I will do a real tune-up...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swede-german2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Almost got through replacing the padded dash today; the rain kept me from totally finishing the job. All that's left is getting the glove box area done. It was pretty straightforward, just tedious.
'64 Bug (in progress)
'74 MILF (upgraded to MIF in '02)
PiperFixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

New coil and plug wires.
New SVDA from Sparxwerks. Timed correctly this car runs well and has pickup now! I still have a little off idle hesitation which is probably from the POS no name carb that the PO installed. I tried to tune it but it really doesn't want to behave. I'm guessing this air cleaner setup isn't helping either.

Tried to do a valve adjustment and most of the screws are absolutely frozen. Luckily all but two intakes were pretty close to being at .006. New set of adjustment screws ordered... onward.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

PiperFixer wrote:

Connect breather hose near oil fill cap to underside of your air cleaner.

Keep spark plug wires away from the manifold, use the little clips to hold up on the fan shroud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
PiperFixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Connect breather hose near oil fill cap to underside of your air cleaner.

Keep spark plug wires away from the manifold, use the little clips to hold up on the fan shroud.

New breather hose is on the list. The clips are broken on the shroud unfortunately. I took the pic before I zip tied things a little more securely.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

PiperFixer wrote:

The clips are broken on the shroud unfortunately.

There are little plastic clips that go into the round holes on the fan shroud.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113-451A.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
PiperFixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks!
SemperVivus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

1.) Adjusted the valves to .006
2.) Flushed and changed the oil with Rotella T6 15-W40
3.) Cleaned and changed oil on the oil bath air filter
4.) Adjusted the throttle cable (was only getting 75% open at WOT!)
5.) Removed the loose/bad crimp on spades on the coil, distributor ground and carb choke and added brass, open barrel crimp spades

Tomorrow is gear oil.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Over the last few weeks I got some much needed work done on the Bug before bringing it out of hibernation. I removed the fuel tank and used the POR 15 gas tank repair kit as per the directions. I actually let the tank liner dry for 7 days while I did other work. It looks pretty good, but I'll pull the tank in the fall and see how it is holding up. I also put a new gasket between the tank and the body, but used some window seal material from the hardware store. Now my fuel gauge is not working, so I suspect I just need to ground the fuel tank.

I had way too much oil leaking from my rebuilt motor, so started chasing that. I suspected that the flywheel seal was leaking, so I replaced that.

When I was installing the engine, I noticed that the front driver side generator stand stud had almost backed out completely. The 13mm carb wrench came in handy here!

I've been struggling with leaking valve covers for quite a while. This time I used Gasgacinch to seal the 4mm cork gaskets to spotless original flat valve covers. I made sure the head surface was completely dry/clean and installed the covers with dry cork, no grease or oil.

I replaced my NGK B6HS plugs with a fresh set, adjusted valves(so much better with the engine out), set points with dwell meter, and set the timing.
Currently, the Bug is running better than it has in my 6 years of ownership! At the moment it is not leaking any oil. Did I just jinx myself? I need to take it out for a long highway rip just to make sure, but it sure is nice have it back out on the road again!
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benntn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took out the engine and removed the tar board. Cars been sitting since 2006.
I'm ready to start getting her ready for the road again. Going to clean it up, fix some wiring, change some gaskets, replace or add some missing tins, put a new manifold and carb. I removed the dual carbs and I'm going back to stock. I hated them, they were a PITA.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

^
Quote:
I removed the dual carbs and I'm going back to stock. I hated them, they were a PITA.

What type of dual carbs did you use?
benntn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
^
Quote:
I removed the dual carbs and I'm going back to stock. I hated them, they were a PITA.

What type of dual carbs did you use?

Solex H40/44eis Brosol

mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got my bug ready for a road trip to Santa Cruz next Sunday. Adjusted valves,(they weren't bad at all) brakes and clutch. Replaced my 009 distributor with the correct dual diaphragm distributor. Set timing at 5* atdc (with vacuum disconnected and plugged). Checked at 3500 RPMs and it is at 29* atdc. Took for drive to warm it up and adjusted carb. Took for a test drive and it runs nice and smooth with no flat spot. An easy 75 mph on the highway.
Looking forward to our vacation to the coast.
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Weather is finally warm here in Northern Utah...

I checked the oil level, then went for about an hour drive around Layton/Kaysville area.

Super nice day!
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Completed stripping of framehead and underside of spare tire well with oven cleaner and pressure washer.
All rust buffed away and/or treated with OSPHO.

Primed all bare metal. Undercoated bottom of spare tire well and painted framehead.

PiperFixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Attempted first valve adjustment. Screws were frozen so I pulled the rockers and cleaned it all up. New adjusters and spring washers. Here's 1-2. 3-4 will be next.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I silicone-glued a loose piece of piping into place, and also glued some carpet that had come loose by the rear window. I also added a home-made "fix" to the driver door striker, and filled up the VW with gas on my trip into town to run errands.

There's a brand-new store that opened today, called Falling Prices. Tuesdays EVERYTHING is $6, Wed. all $4, Thursdays all $2, Fridays all $1, and Saturdays all 25 cents. I imagine the place will be mobbed Friday and Saturday.

Apparently every Monday they re-stock with new closeout items.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I don't mind the freckles (rust) here-and-there on the bright work but these reproduction "chrome" peashooters really deteriorated pretty quickly.
Less than 2 years old, really terrible quality.
I don't know why I just didn't buy the stainless-steel one's in the first place? They sound better too.

MountainBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

With a 3ft long inspection camera, I found the missing aerial housing/surround in the hardest-to-reach area of the Beetle, in the diminishing channel between the cabin and the wheel arch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 449, 450, 451  Next
Jump to:
Page 450 of 451

Jump to: