Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuse panel swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heeler188
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

Hello, has anyone swapped out a fuse panel? I have a 85 vanagon with the ceramic fuses and was hoping that a 87-90 panel might work. I realize the detailed work involved. Does anyone have any input on what might work best?

Thank you

1985 vanagon gl
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

you'll need the whole harness if you want to update to blade fuses...or you'll have a shit ton of cutting and splicing

just stick to what's there and fix terminal ends as needed.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

Find and use ceramic fuses with brass strips versus zinc ones and use a tad of dielectric grease on the ends of the fuses where they make electrical contact with the terminals in the box. Assuming your present box isn't damaged this will pretty much eliminate problems with the fuses.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

What problem are you trying to solve?

Ceramic fuses have the benefit of easy visual blown fuse detection and easy replacement w/out tools or fingertips of steel.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

I've done it. Not too difficult, but time consuming. I replaced almost the whole harness with the newer model, as I added many features from the later model (power windows, power mirrors, power locks, rear wiper and washer). In my case I think replacing the whole harness was easier than making a hybrid of the old and new, and I much prefer the newer fuse block with places for all the additional relays I needed. I also had the dash and interior removed to make removing and replacing wires much easier. My suggestion would be to pull a complete later model fuse block and connected harnesses from donner, although in my case fabricated a good bit of it with new wires and the proper terminal ends and plastic fittings.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

I prefer the simplicity of the ceramic style fuse box. There is nothing that can really go wrong. The later fuse block is a “sandwich” of internal tracks that in some cases were not sized properly from the factory to handle some of the extended loads. The pins can melt the housings and in some cases fail internally. Creating intermittent problems. There are easier options to add more accessories without have to rewire the entire van.
SyncroCanada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

I'm with MarkWard, if you need extra circuits, get a separate fuse panel. I use a BLUE SEA SYSTEMS ST Blade Fuse Block in the engine compartment. If needed, use relays for headlights or other high power draws.

Keeping the wiring as original as possible will make trouble shooting with a wiring diagram possible, change too much and good luck remembering what you did when something fails. The next owner will be pooched.

I just swapped in a new fuse panel on an '86. Took about 4 hours and I had a used panel for parts. Fortunately I did not damage anything in the process. You are yanking on vintage wiring to get at the panel, so you risk creating more problems. I only did this because I had burned pins in the connecting blocks and there was no power to the ignition/fuel injection. Otherwise I would not have touched it.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of the ceramic style, but my biggest gripe is not having spares when I need them. Order a bunch of spares so you have them now and just keep them in the van.

I think my next complaints about them had to deal with corrosion, but that was also a different vehicle with the fuses in the engine bay, so I'm not sure the same applies to vanagon interior.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
you'll need the whole harness if you want to update to blade fuses...

^ This. I have a complete 1990 harness and fuse box in my '82 Westy. It simply isn't worth the trouble, unless you're already planning to gut the vehicle as part of a restoration. This is a very big job, not a quick weekend swap out. You'll want to be very good with reading wiring diagrams, and testing/troubleshooting circuits, to have a successful swap.

You'll also have to make some minor body modifications as the harness openings are not all the same size, so you either have to enlarge the hole, or back-date the grommet, to make it fit.

Edit: There are also differences between US and European wiring, so don't buy a harness from Europe for a NA market van. The wiring for the headlights, tail lights, side markers, and even the turn signals is different, and will require modification. Ask me how I know...
In the gearbox: BG Ultra-Guard (#750) 75w-90
+ Eberspächer S2-D2L diesel cabin heater, + Electric power steering, + TF49 ac/dc refrigerator, + 300Ah LiFePo4, + 175w Solar
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse panel swap Reply with quote

i pretty much despise Dremel tools but a good use for one is polishing the inside of the fuse holding tang with a brass brush... cleans them up shiny. get proper good CERAMIC GBC fuses not plastic bodied, and you'll be just as reliable as anything. face the fuses so you can see the strips, carry spares of each value and you'll have an Uncle named Bob.

GBC fuses also benefit from a dab of DeOxit D100 liquid in the needle bottle.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: