Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Re-birthing this thread for a couple of questions on technique.

I've got new bearings and races installed on the front, and I used my magnetic based dial indicator on the stub axle, just like it shows in the Bentley.

I first threaded and torqued the clamp nut to 9 ft/lbs, then used the dial indicator and loosened the clamp nut until I had .004(ish) axial play, measured by pulling straight out, then straight in on the wheel (like when checking crank end-play).

When I tighten the clamp nut screw, the axial play is almost all taken out, really not measurable. Wheel rotates very nicely, very smooth, no drag...I can feel just the smallest hint of axial play, but it's not measurable.

So the real question I'm looking to verify is do I want .001-.005 axial play with the clamp nut screw tight?

Seems to me I've done it correctly according to the Bentley, I have...but I'm wondering what others have done.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Tighten the lock screw down until you need a bit of force on a Crescent wrench or Vice-grips to turn the adjusting nut. This way the adjustment will not change during the final tightening of the lock screw.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Tighten the lock screw down until you need a bit of force on a Crescent wrench or Vice-grips to turn the adjusting nut. This way the adjustment will not change during the final tightening of the lock screw.

Are thinking the adjusting/clamp nut is turning when I tighten the clamp screw? If so, I can assure you that is not the case. But keep me honest if I'm not understanding your point.

Also, I'm not having trouble...in fact I'm quite confident in my work. I'm wondering what others have done in this situation and if axial play is all but taken out after tightening the clamp screw.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Are thinking the adjusting/clamp nut is turning when I tighten the clamp screw? If so, I can assure you that is not the case. But keep me honest if I'm not understanding your point.

Also, I'm not having trouble...in fact I'm quite confident in my work. I'm wondering what others have done in this situation and if axial play is all but taken out after tightening the clamp screw.

By tightening the lock screw a bit before doing the adjustment you are taking the slop out of the threads. If you have the lock screw loose it will use up 0.005" or so of end play as it is tightened.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Ok I follow that logic and I think we agreeing and are saying the same thing...but it seems the clamp screw is meant to take out the endplay.

In my case the final tightening of the lock screw does take out the .004" axial endplay I have set (no matter if it's snugged up or not) and that seems correct per the Bentley and order of operations. Currently I have a very slight amount of endplay (not measurable) and the bearings are super smooth, no play. This is they way I've done bearings in the past with other vehicles and projects...pretty much "by feel". The Bentley is much more precise, using a dial indicator.

Wildthings, are you saying to snug up the lock screw, adjust the bearings to the .001"-.005", torque the clamp screw to spec, and and the adjustment wont change so I'll have .001"-.005" endplay still?

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

That “ just perceptible “ end play is 0.001 inches + 0.001 inch and -0.000 inches. Play

Very Happy
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

The axial play spec is what is supposed to be AFTER the clamp nut is tightened.
It's the play you are supposed to have at any time, without messing with the adjustment.
So just leave the clamp nut backed off a tad until you get the correct axial play after it's tightened.
Your clamp nut may be distorted or there's something wrong with your special thrust washer or something.
I never had any change in play after tightening it on my bus wheels.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That “ just perceptible “ end play is 0.001 inches + 0.001 inch and -0.000 inches. Play

You have a very optimistic view of people's ability to feel fine things.

I've measured a few times with the Bentley-style dial indicator, and never seen a measurement difference between locking bolt snug or loose.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Abscate wrote:

You have a very optimistic view of people's ability to feel fine things.

I've measured a few times with the Bentley-style dial indicator, and never seen a measurement difference between locking bolt snug or loose.

Robbie

Nice, this is great feedback, thank you. I think I need to try out Wildthings technique of snugging up the clamp lock screw and adjusting play from there, then snug it up and verify endplay. I must have something going on there with the washer or something...the grease vacuum/stickyness may be getting me there...now is the time to double check.

Because there seems to be some discrepancy in he comments about how much play should be present after tightening the lock screw...Bentley (section 2, page 9, sub-sec 5.2, step #4) says between .001 and .005 in. so I'll aim for that.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

the reason you torque it first is to force the grease out and make sure it seats. I would gently rotate the wheel while it is torqued. Then back it off to your desired end play and lightly tighten the clamping nut. Spin the wheel a little and then measure it. If you need more then loosen the nut and try again. If it is too loose then tighten it. Once you are done, spin the wheel a couple times and check it again. Do it with the tire on. You will have more to grab onto than a rotor.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the reason you torque it first is to force the grease out and make sure it seats. I would gently rotate the wheel while it is torqued. Then back it off to your desired end play and lightly tighten the clamping nut. Spin the wheel a little and then measure it. If you need more then loosen the nut and try again. If it is too loose then tighten it. Once you are done, spin the wheel a couple times and check it again. Do it with the tire on. You will have more to grab onto than a rotor.

Thanks Steve, great to see you post and I appreciate your note here - that is basically the same procedure I follow, especially in this case with new bearings (hand packed with new grease) and new races pressed/installed. Wheel on, and front end off the ground, as both wheels are getting the same treatment. Amsoil NLGI #2 synthetic grease. Bentley says to rotate the wheel and measure endplay multiple times as well. I'm pulling the wheel straight in/out, grabbing at 3 and 9 to measure the endplay, kind of like measuring crank endplay.

Everything I'm curious on is clamp nut post-torque...this is why I like TS, I like to hear the techniques and deep dive on how others are doing this same work.

I don't usually use my dial indicator for wheel bearings...but it's been really nice and scientific on dialing in the pre-load/play. I did not use the dial last time I repacked and the set the bearing play by hand, and one side must have ended up being a bit on the snug side...to the point where on my last cruise I had the passengers side start to hum pretty good at me after 70 miles or so...I figured after 107k and 50 years my Bus deserved a good set of new bearings, races and some more quality grease. I want to set the play per the Bentley procedure this time and not just guesstimate.

Thanks to the responses here I have even better info than I previously had to go on and set the preload and final endplay.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For Torque for Front Axle Clamp Nut Reply with quote

The procedure VW gives for setting the bearing endplay for a Vanagon works well on a Bay or Type 1 as well. You just want to be able to easily move the washer with a screwdriver once the nut is locked down, but still have a slight drag to the washer. Note that the washers may not be consistently flat, which will make it hard to accurately set the endplay by either using a dial indicator or the Vanagon method. I will check for wobble once the weight is back on the tires and tweak the adjustment as needed to bring the wobble down and then check the temperature of the bearings after a 10 mile road run without much use of the brakes. If the bearing hub is much above ambient then I back the bearing off a tad and try again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: