Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split bug aluminum dash trim restoration - polish
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: split bug aluminum dash trim restoration - polish Reply with quote

what a CHORE !!! i worked on these some yesterday and more today . very time consuming and hard on the old finger joints .....im just killing time working on these long before im ready for em ........the dash pod pieces came out pretty nice . there is some pitting in the glove box trim pieces .....i think i would need to resort to some fine sand paper and re polish hoping to remove those pits ....these are so fragile i wouldn't dare put em on a buffing wheel , this was all done by hand with 0000 steel wool and Mothers aluminum mag wheel polish .......i find it best to dab the steel wool in the mothers first then rub out the aluminum .....this is as far as i got today so far ...... 2 of the glove box trim are OK but the other 2 still need work .... in doing so i notic3ed some stamping on the back side of the glove box trim . 3 of em have what looks like a 7 and one clearly has a R stamped on it .........made me wonder if the 7 is supposed to be a L as in left n right ????????? or are these one piece fits either side ........the dash does have a little curve to it making me wonder if there supposed to be left n right ....i duno !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: split bug aluminum dash trim restoration - polish Reply with quote

is it really worth all the time i have into polishing the old ones ? doesnt cost me but my time ...but i see SAM STEEL in spain has some repo ones . 125 each for glove box trim and 65 each for dash pod trim ..... anyone use these before ? im gona keep polishing but like to know all my options .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2664372

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2664371

kaefer nostalgie has some as well for the same price .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: split bug aluminum dash trim restoration - polish Reply with quote

Given their history I would only buy from KN and Sam Steel if an expert in the field could vouch for the quality and fit of a particular product they sell.

I am happy to elaborate in a PM.

Matt
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: split bug aluminum dash trim restoration - polish Reply with quote

Matts Bug Parts wrote:
Given their history I would only buy from KN and Sam Steel if an expert in the field could vouch for the quality and fit of a particular product they sell.

I am happy to elaborate in a PM.

Matt

I'll second that.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: split bug aluminum dash trim restoration - polish Reply with quote

Not to take away from some of the craftspeople that are making some of the best repro parts that have ever been available for vintage VWs, but original parts are ALWAYS better than repros.

Not saying all repros are good quality. There are some really shoddy parts currently being made and sold as has been alluded to, but even the best quality stuff is rarely exactly like the original part.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: