Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breakdown - Clutch Issue!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
superfurryallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Breakdown - Clutch Issue! Reply with quote

Hi All,

Waiting on roadside assistance currently

I was driving up a very gentle incline and when I’ve gone to change down gear I could not depress the clutch! As I pressed the pedal it felt like it was hitting something and would not allow me to depress fully.

I have managed to roll the van in reverse back down the incline and off the road. As I’ve done so there was a ‘clunk’ noise and the clutch is now operational!

I will wait for the roadside assistance to take a look and advise but interested to hear thoughts on what it could be
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown - Clutch Issue! Reply with quote

someone with more knowledge can weigh in - I'd crawl under and unbolt the splash pan and then hope for the best.

but - where are you ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
superfurryallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown - Clutch Issue! Reply with quote

I’m at the side of the road in the far north of Scotland! About 40 mins north of a town called Ullapool.

I’m hoping to be able to continue on if it’s low risk of happening again
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown - Clutch Issue! Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
someone with more knowledge can weigh in - I'd crawl under and unbolt the splash pan and then hope for the best.

but - where are you ?

As Andrewtf said, block your wheels and crawl under and take off your splash pan to see if something is moving around and maybe just blocked the clutch travel temporarily. If nothing there, move to the back and check the linkage at the transaxle to see if something is blocking the clutch lever.

If you can't see anything obvious, get back in and run through the gears using the clutch as normal with the engine off and if no issues, start the engine again and listen for any out of the ordinary sounds. If nothing unusual, try shifting into 1st and letting the clutch out slowly then reverse.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakdown - Clutch Issue! Reply with quote

The clutch setup varies a bit over the years, so it would be good to know as much as possible about what system you have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: