Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost Reverse - (now I have 2 neutrals). help troubleshooting
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkemm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Lost Reverse - (now I have 2 neutrals). help troubleshooting Reply with quote

I am looking for assistance in troubleshooting or possibilities of what is broken.

Wife and I were driving her 71 Ghia around today, backed out of a parking space, reverse popped out of gear. We were backed enough of the way out so we continued to our next destination. When backing out this time, no reverse. It goes into reverse (can push lever to pop into neutral)...but when in reverse...transmission is in neutral - nothing from engine, can roll the car in R. I just changed all bushings a few months back, removing the rod, cleaning it and replacing the front bush as well. Grub screws are tight. All other gears shift fine and no noise from transmission. previously - on occasion, the car will pop out of 2nd gear, but not often.
I know its not the lock out plate as I can bump from R into N and the lever pops.
I double checked bushings and grub screws.
Is it possible that reverse is gone.... which leaves 2 options... rebuilt transmission (prefer over used as I put in my new 2110 a few months ago) or is this a fixable issue? It appears that I have to remove the trans for any repair or replacement. Is this possibly an easy repair...I dont want to dig into a transmission....if its nosecone area fixable....I may be open to that.
dkemm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Reverse - (now I have 2 neutrals). help troubleshooting Reply with quote

trying to do research / watch videos on what might be wrong....
If I am understanding the T1 IRS trans correctly:

1. is it possible (ring gear area) that the reverse gear clip has popped off or broken - allowing the reverse gear to move along the shaft?
--I am thinking this is why there is no other grinding or sounds from the transaxle, also why it may have happened all of a sudden

2. The shift lever (nose cone area) for reverse - Service manual shows it having a grub screw....could this have slipped off?
--I am thinking that if this happened....it would not shift into R at all....Which I am 95% sure is happening as I can put in reverse....then tap the gear shift upwards and you can feel the "pop"/jump into neutral.

If #1 or #2 is the issue (are either a possibilit?)... how easy difficult is it to fix? I am mechanically inclined, engine swaps, chassis swaps(land rover), engine rebuild / build (vw) -- but I have never attempted to tackle a transmission/transaxle before.
Is it best just to consider a new/rebuilt transmission? I could then go 3.88 and have taller gearing as the new engine can push it just fine
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Reverse - (now I have 2 neutrals). help troubleshooting Reply with quote

I'd suggest pulling the transmission so you can actually make an educated guess on what's going on or at least take it to someone who might be able to tell you. Maybe you'll find the culprit in the process.

Dig in. Have fun.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Reverse - (now I have 2 neutrals). help troubleshooting Reply with quote

Time to build the tranny. No grub screw for reverse either.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
dkemm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost Reverse - (now I have 2 neutrals). help troubleshooting Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Time to build the tranny. No grub screw for reverse either.

Thanks Scott.
what I was afraid of.
what i thought was the grub screw is the screw that attaches the pivot arm to the eye screw inside.

BTW, i really enjoyed your posting on the store bought gearbox!

71 Ghia Coupe, CB Perf 2110
1988 Land Rover 90, cummins R2.8 and stuff
'14 Cayman S
2011 Toyota Tacoma - the hunting vehicle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: